Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 11:20 PM

43 posts, read 149,732 times

Advertisements

For those familiar with the Rocky mtn cities- How does Boise compare for having outdoor exercise oportunities compared to other large metro areas? I live in PA and everyone on the east coast knows Salt Lake City offers great skiing 30 min away, Boulder is surrounded by mt bike trails, CO Springs has Pike's Peak...but Boise seems to fly under the radar.

I'm hoping to spend a couple years out West in a big enough city to offer good job variety and outdoor recreation (ski, bike, hike, kayak) and was wondering if I should give Boise more thought.

I thought it was just an isolated city surrounded by brown hills but I'm starting to think I'm way off!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 06:05 AM

33 posts, read 62,729 times
If you end up in Boise, go to McCall. It's about 90 or so miles North. Beautiful drive up there. Great place for all type of outdoor activities! Skiing, biking, boating, hiking, etc....

I just moved my girlfriend from McCall to Northern Va. but plan on going back to Boise/McCall often as her family is still in the area.

Check out:

DISCOVER MCCALL | McCall Idaho

Old 05-18-2012, 08:23 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,859,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbob2 View Post
For those familiar with the Rocky mtn cities- How does Boise compare for having outdoor exercise oportunities compared to other large metro areas? I live in PA and everyone on the east coast knows Salt Lake City offers great skiing 30 min away, Boulder is surrounded by mt bike trails, CO Springs has Pike's Peak...but Boise seems to fly under the radar.

I'm hoping to spend a couple years out West in a big enough city to offer good job variety and outdoor recreation (ski, bike, hike, kayak) and was wondering if I should give Boise more thought.

I thought it was just an isolated city surrounded by brown hills but I'm starting to think I'm way off!
Actually Boise offers a lot more of the types of outdoor recreation you listed compared to the two cities you used as an example. For instance you can kayak right in town and there is a new whitewater park.

Boise, Idaho - National Geographic Adventure Magazine

It's not because Boise is situated perfectly between Idaho's Rocky Mountains and the vast Great Basin deserts that stretch northward from Nevada. Nor is it that three rivers converge near here: the Boise, the Payette, and the Snake. It's not that the Boise area includes some of the country's best mountain biking trails, or that deep powder and steeply pitched rock are less than 20 minutes from downtown restaurants and coffeehouses. These things alone would beckon pilgrims, like me, in search of urban-outdoor nirvana.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:34 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,672,521 times
For the combination of skiing, biking, hiking and kayaking you can't find a spot on the planet that beats Boise.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:51 AM

3,818 posts, read 9,411,835 times
Have to agree with everyone else. I've lived all over the country and Boise can't be beat for all the things that you can do around here.

The other thing that flies under the radar here as well are the great microbreweries. They are so busy filling kegs and serving from their own locations that nobody has time to bottle or can. We have microbreweries that are as good if not better than a lot of national microbreweries like Stone, Ninkasi, Deschutes and others.

Nothing better than a long day outside followed by a pint of Sockeye.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:04 PM

43 posts, read 149,732 times
Everything sounds great...I'm just surprised Boise is so humble about its easy access to the outdoors compared to other cities in the Rockies. I was worried I'd miss the greenery of the Appalachain Mts but it looks like Idaho has some nice pine forests. Can I make the assumption most people in Boise like fitness and taking advantage of their city's outdoor offerings? I'm trying to build a new career on massage therapy and sports medicine so I gotta be around good active people.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:46 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,859,400 times
Quote:
Everything sounds great...I'm just surprised Boise is so humble about its easy access to the outdoors compared to other cities in the Rockies. I was worried I'd miss the greenery of the Appalachain Mts but it looks like Idaho has some nice pine forests. Can I make the assumption most people in Boise like fitness and taking advantage of their city's outdoor offerings? I'm trying to build a new career on massage therapy and sports medicine so I gotta be around good active people.
You will be in good company, this is a fit crazy town and spandex is a fashion statement here. A quick google search will give you much more info.

CDC recently ranked Boise as one of the 15 most fit/healthy cities in the country.

What Is America's Sportiest City? | America's 15 Most Active Cities | Healthland | TIME.com

Old 05-18-2012, 08:03 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,672,521 times
Not so sure about massage therapy but sports medicine, while competitive, is a viable field.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:32 AM

3,818 posts, read 9,411,835 times
One thing that is missing in Boise (unless I have just not seen one yet) is a workout facility like Gym Jones or Mountain Athlete. For lack of a better definition, both have roots in Crossfit but then decided to focus on the particular needs of endurance athletes, climbers, skiers and other outdoor athletes. Could be a way for you to offer something a little different. I'm a big fan of Mountain Athlete and go there every time I am in Jackson WY. Send me a PM if you want more info.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:27 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,317,124 times
Quote:

There's all kinds of outdoor activities in and around Boise. You can climb, mountain bike, ski, and boat all about 15 mins to an hour from town. And generally north of there there's even more the further you drive. Lots of camping and trails!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: