Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 09:51 PM

2 posts, read 5,741 times

Advertisements

My husband, son and I are relocating to Meridian in November. We are moving there due to my husband's job. I have never been to Meridian let alone Idaho, and I won't have time to visit before we relocate there! I have found a home for rent with the option to buy on a rental website. Although I am not eager to rent, I feel that it is a wise choice since I don't anything at all about the area. I have however heard nothing but good things about Meridian and I have also heard that the schools and neighborhoods there are all great! I would like some more information and I am open to any info that anyone can give me about the area which would be of some help. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 09:44 AM

434 posts, read 3,178,282 times
There are a lot of great deals to be had on houses in the west Boise/Meridian area right now and if you are patient and stake out a couple of neighborhoods you can get a house below what it is worth. We moved here last year and rented for 6 months while we looked for houses. Our family got lucky because one of the houses that we were watching had a price drop of $25,000 because the guy that owned it was tired of sitting on a vacant house for so long.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:04 PM

12 posts, read 84,099 times
Default Cost of utilities

We are possibly planning a move to Meridian for my husbands job. (not from Cali) I have done alot of research and the one area I still need information about is if somebody could please give me a ballpark figure on what utilities are for a 2000+ sq ft home in Meridian. Probably one of the newer development. It is very important for me to be able to figure this out so I can know what we can afford. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 09-29-2007, 05:11 PM

140 posts, read 491,385 times
(not from Cali)

Does that make you better than those that are? Just curious...

Old 09-29-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Carl View Post
(not from Cali)

Does that make you better than those that are? Just curious...
Not at all. I just was reading all the other Idaho forums that were complaining about Cali's moving to Idaho so I thought I'd make a distinction, hoping somebody would answer my question if I wasn't.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:46 PM

140 posts, read 491,385 times
OK then... So far, ours are not bad compared to California. Our Gas bill was 28, H2O was 29 and power was 22 last month. Cable One has a deal where you can get unlimited long distance, Broadband Internet and Cable TV combined for about 105 per month total. Garbage rates are low also. Maybe 8 a month?
We are in a home like you described, but it sounds like we are a much smaller family, so that could raise your costs. Good Luck.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:46 PM

2 posts, read 5,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella68 View Post
My husband, son and I are relocating to Meridian in November. We are moving there due to my husband's job. I have never been to Meridian let alone Idaho, and I won't have time to visit before we relocate there! I have found a home for rent with the option to buy on a rental website. Although I am not eager to rent, I feel that it is a wise choice since I don't anything at all about the area. I have however heard nothing but good things about Meridian and I have also heard that the schools and neighborhoods there are all great! I would like some more information and I am open to any info that anyone can give me about the area which would be of some help. Thank you!
Meridian is a very quickly growing area. It has probably doubled in size in the past 5 years. They are constantly building new schools, etc. to keep up with the growth. Be wary of a few of the builders here (Hubble Homes, or CBH--Corey Barton). They build LOTS OF HOUSES, but the quality is not very good. There are many homes available right now. Where is your husband going to be working? Are you interested in any outlying areas?

Old 09-30-2007, 10:01 AM

Thank you California Carl. Yes, my family is larger but only 6 are still at home. 2 of our older children are married and live in Idaho, part of our draw to the area. But even with the 6 still at home I can't believe it would make the HUGE difference between what I pay now and what you pay! we don't have gas right now and only electric heat, but our home is new and we pay $450 for elec in winter (and that's WITHOUT turning the heat above 68, and only turning on a few heaters!) and around $250 in summer. Our water is $130-180, basic cable $65 and phone/internet (no long distance or perks) is $120. HOLY COW what a difference! And I do everything I can to conserve. Again, I really appreciate the reply.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:07 AM

To glazenby:

yes, we are considering outlying areas. I love small town USA. I was really leaning towards Emmett until I checked the "familywatchdog" site. (registered offenders) Actually, looking at that site scares me, period! I am concerned about Meridian being so close to issues in Nampa/Caldwell but my son is there and tells me not to worry about it, that's it's blown out of proportion. I think he just isn't as aware since he doesn't have kids yet. So I really don't know what to think. I'm trying to research and choose a good area for the younger 6 still at home, (10yrs to 2 yrs. We were foster parents for 14 yrs and adopted the 6). I guess it's all just a gamble. Any input is greatly appreciated. I'm coming over there in about 2 weeks to look around.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glazenby View Post
Meridian is a very quickly growing area. It has probably doubled in size in the past 5 years. They are constantly building new schools, etc. to keep up with the growth. Be wary of a few of the builders here (Hubble Homes, or CBH--Corey Barton). They build LOTS OF HOUSES, but the quality is not very good. There are many homes available right now. Where is your husband going to be working? Are you interested in any outlying areas?
Sorry. I am still trying to figure out writing/replying/quoting in this forum and I realize now you were writing to the original poster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area