Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 10:28 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,275,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
We've surely reached another checkpoint in the "overgrown" phase when people are seriously considering commuting to the downtown Boise area from
From talking to people I've worked with here many of them have been commuting daily to Boise for work from Middleton, Emmett and Caldwell for at least two decades if not longer. I don't think Boise is overgrown yet and the area still has a lot of room for growth. I hear more people complaining about how Boise needs to grow more so they can increase services to the area.

I've also been told by the transportation workers that once the Boise Metro reaches a certain population level then federal funding will kick in and aide in making a better public transportation system. Until then they get by with what they have and are just under the population limit for the federal funding assistance they need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 09:16 AM

742 posts, read 1,128,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
From talking to people I've worked with here many of them have been commuting daily to Boise for work from Middleton, Emmett and Caldwell for at least two decades if not longer. I don't think Boise is overgrown yet and the area still has a lot of room for growth. I hear more people complaining about how Boise needs to grow more so they can increase services to the area.

I've also been told by the transportation workers that once the Boise Metro reaches a certain population level then federal funding will kick in and aide in making a better public transportation system. Until then they get by with what they have and are just under the population limit for the federal funding assistance they need.
Interesting.

I know people who commute from Mountain Home, Caldwell, Middleton, and even Marsing... but I can't know the psychology or circumstances it takes for some people to want to do that to themselves. My fiance had a lady in one of her classes that would commute to Boise from Ontario to attend night courses at BSU. To each their own, but at the same time "their own" also culminates into collective problems for everyone else.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree about the room to grow in Boise. It really is all a matter of opinion. Boise could grow to 20 million and still function, but I doubt many would find it a very enjoyable place. I'm already seeing more tension, more user conflicts, and more irritability in general because of the increasing population, especially at community events and/or recreation areas.

Think about it. There's really nothing to explain why some places are friendlier than other places other than overpopulation and congestion. People like to say that California has rude, selfish, arrogant, insincere people... but Californians are moving here in droves and people always say how friendly and nice Boiseans are. The Californians on here would say they're nice. All of the Californians I've met are nice, for the most part. It all seems to be simply a function of people leaving the rat race and improving their quality of life.

Well, the rat race is quickly coming here. How do you think that will affect attitudes, especially when we start seeing graffiti and litter on the Greenbelt and foothills, overcrowded trails that get trashed from overuse (especially in the spring), or any other example you can think of?

Newcomers to Boise lack the perspective to have witnessed the change over the past 25, 20, 15, or even 10 years... to see what has improved (and a lot has) or what has been degraded or ruined (and a lot has here, too). Coming from somewhere else that is in a lot of ways worse, sure Boise might seem really really nice, and that perspective is important too.

There are a lot of people who think Boise has a lot of room to grow and are working to make it grow, but if you dig deep those people have a vested financial interest in growth. So of course they will say that. It just like the planners you point out that, because of federal funding, have a vested funding interest in growth. And of course the BVEP and Chamber of Commerce folks like to market that same nonsense too, which is why you see Boise pop up on so many "best of lists."

You want to do an interesting research project... look into those "best of" lists 15 or 20 years ago, and see how those lists have changed over time. Even more interesting would be to figure out why. My bet: overpopulation, which lead to increased cost of living, congestion, crime, and lower quality of life all around. Hmmm

Old 07-23-2015, 01:07 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,275,915 times
No doubt that Boise makes the top 10 - 15 lists the last decade or so and perhaps there is a vested interest in that, but geez litter and graffiti aren't new to the Green Belt or foothills. If you've traveled around Idaho you'd know that much of that kind of stuff up there is from local kids that grew up in Idaho. Some of it left behind is as far back as the 60's.

I see from your posts an emphasis on being more concerned about outsiders for continued growth and ignoring the population growth from the inside of Idaho as much of it. My Grandma had 6 kids. Those 6 kids had over 30 kids. Those 30 kids have over 100 kids combined. I see recent projections for the Boise Metro population doubling by 2020. That's half a million people and just 5 years away and if you research it the majority of it is coming from locals and not national migration. Californian's contribute the most influx for migration but they're only contributing about 6,000 people a year and even some of that is locals moving back. The truth is there are lots of local young people getting married and having babies and they need services, places to live and places to work. It's going to grow regardless and they're working as fast as they can to support it. That's why it's making top 10 lists to start a business and the construction is going gangbusters here.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:23 PM

731 posts, read 957,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
No doubt that Boise makes the top 10 - 15 lists the last decade or so and perhaps there is a vested interest in that, but geez litter and graffiti aren't new to the Green Belt or foothills. If you've traveled around Idaho you'd know that much of that kind of stuff up there is from local kids that grew up in Idaho. Some of it left behind is as far back as the 60's.

I see from your posts an emphasis on being more concerned about outsiders for continued growth and ignoring the population growth from the inside of Idaho as much of it. My Grandma had 6 kids. Those 6 kids had over 30 kids. Those 30 kids have over 100 kids combined. I see recent projections for the Boise Metro population doubling by 2020. That's half a million people and just 5 years away and if you research it the majority of it is coming from locals and not national migration. Californian's contribute the most influx for migration but they're only contributing about 6,000 people a year and even some of that is locals moving back. The truth is there are lots of local young people getting married and having babies and they need services, places to live and places to work. It's going to grow regardless and they're working as fast as they can to support it. That's why it's making top 10 lists to start a business and the construction is going gangbusters here.
Thank you! We transplants appreciate a more balanced viewpoint! A few on this board try so hard to paint an ugly future due to growth, and rarely do they acknowledge that a larger percentage of that growth comes from inside the State vs. us transplants.

LDS probably has an impact on that, and although I am for "safe and sane" population growth, I LOVE that they teach their children manners, kindness, honor, etc. One of the reasons I moved here. When the teens in a community are decent, law abiding citizens, that is a big deal!

Old 07-23-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Interesting.

I know people who commute from Mountain Home, Caldwell, Middleton, and even Marsing... but I can't know the psychology or circumstances it takes for some people to want to do that to themselves. My fiance had a lady in one of her classes that would commute to Boise from Ontario to attend night courses at BSU. To each their own, but at the same time "their own" also culminates into collective problems for everyone else.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree about the room to grow in Boise. It really is all a matter of opinion. Boise could grow to 20 million and still function, but I doubt many would find it a very enjoyable place. I'm already seeing more tension, more user conflicts, and more irritability in general because of the increasing population, especially at community events and/or recreation areas.

Think about it. There's really nothing to explain why some places are friendlier than other places other than overpopulation and congestion. People like to say that California has rude, selfish, arrogant, insincere people... but Californians are moving here in droves and people always say how friendly and nice Boiseans are. The Californians on here would say they're nice. All of the Californians I've met are nice, for the most part. It all seems to be simply a function of people leaving the rat race and improving their quality of life.

Well, the rat race is quickly coming here. How do you think that will affect attitudes, especially when we start seeing graffiti and litter on the Greenbelt and foothills, overcrowded trails that get trashed from overuse (especially in the spring), or any other example you can think of?

Newcomers to Boise lack the perspective to have witnessed the change over the past 25, 20, 15, or even 10 years... to see what has improved (and a lot has) or what has been degraded or ruined (and a lot has here, too). Coming from somewhere else that is in a lot of ways worse, sure Boise might seem really really nice, and that perspective is important too.

There are a lot of people who think Boise has a lot of room to grow and are working to make it grow, but if you dig deep those people have a vested financial interest in growth. So of course they will say that. It just like the planners you point out that, because of federal funding, have a vested funding interest in growth. And of course the BVEP and Chamber of Commerce folks like to market that same nonsense too, which is why you see Boise pop up on so many "best of lists."

You want to do an interesting research project... look into those "best of" lists 15 or 20 years ago, and see how those lists have changed over time. Even more interesting would be to figure out why. My bet: overpopulation, which lead to increased cost of living, congestion, crime, and lower quality of life all around. Hmmm
My take on your regular comments: try as you might, you're not going to stop growth, no matter how many attempts you make to paint an awful future.

Focus on the positive (and their are many!), maybe looking for the good will help bring about good.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBound2012 View Post
My take on your regular comments: try as you might, you're not going to stop growth, no matter how many attempts you make to paint an awful future.

Focus on the positive (and their are many!), maybe looking for the good will help bring about good.
Interesting perspective.

"Try as you might, you're not going to stop ________, no matter how many attempts you make to paint an awful future," so instead focus on the positive.

Why bother trying to change anything? Heads in the sand is a better strategy for living life and managing policy / politics?

Lol.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:17 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
The growth is continue as long as this world exists. Idaho and Boise got discovered decades ago and the growth isn't going to cease and complaining about it at City Data forums where everyone hides behind a screen name will do nothing to stop it or make it better. Grab it by the horns and enjoy the ride cause Boise is going to grow and keep growing even when we are all dead and in the ground.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Interesting perspective.

"Try as you might, you're not going to stop ________, no matter how many attempts you make to paint an awful future," so instead focus on the positive.

Why bother trying to change anything? Heads in the sand is a better strategy for living life and managing policy / politics?

Lol.

How, exactly, do you plan to change anything via City-Data? Real life is where change is made, not attempting to discourage people from coming to Idaho via a message board.

Honestly, this may be just my own personal opinion, but from reading your posts over the last several months, you come off as a curmudgeon more than anything else.

And how is looking at the positive considered "heads in the sand"?

BTW, using "lol" in an attempt to soften a nasty comment, doesn't always work.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Interesting.

"Do that to themselves?" What makes you think they don't enjoy the drive?

Quote:
To each their own, but at the same time "their own" also culminates into collective problems for everyone else.
Yes, to each their own - we have that freedom here, even if it bothers you.

Quote:
Key words in the above paragraph "It really is all a matter of opinion." Yes, it is. Until you show stats/proof of your claims, it is your opinion.

Quote:
There's really nothing to explain why some places are friendlier than other places other than overpopulation and congestion.
This is simply not true. There are a myriad of reasons why some places are friendlier than others, to blame it all on overpopulation and congestion is an oversimplification.

Quote:
Again, *your* opinion. Others seem to disagree.

Quote:
I would hazard a guess, and it's only a guess at this point, that if you look at ALL the cities listed in any "best of" category, you find that at least 75% of them have changed over time. So what? Are we to stop change? Shall we now put fences around each State, and then eventually each City, Neighborhood, etc.?

You seem to want to somehow stop people from coming to Idaho. If that is true, how do you propose this be done?

Old 07-23-2015, 03:12 PM

I'm sorry; I did not mean to derail the thread with my comments in post #18. I'll bow out from here out of respect to OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area