U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 09:02 PM

4 posts, read 8,295 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have visited Boise on several occasions and really enjoy all the outdoor activities, compared to what we have grown up with in north Texas. We are looking for the following and would welcome any suggestions:

Nice, quiet non-cookie cutter area. Do not need housing development, but think we'd like something on the river, or at least something where we have some elbow room.

We have no kids, so great schools are not particularly something we are including in our decision.

We are fairly active in our early 40's and I have an interest in fly fishing. Since we both have jobs where we are able to work from our home office, we have no commute, so it would be great if I could fish after work.

Estimating up to $250-275K for house.

We'd like to be within 45 minutes of the airport.

Finally, I have a 12' inflatable pontoon boat with trolling motor I'd like to use. Are there reservoirs in the area that would be good for something like this?

I've read a little about Middleton and Emmitt. Are these viable living options, or are there better ones? Thanks in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 11:05 AM

592 posts, read 1,320,479 times
The Riverside Village area of northwest Boise could be a great fit as well as some new developments along the Boise River between Boise and Eagle. You may also find something in Southeast Boise, if not right on the river, at least within an easy walking distance. Even Harris Ranch could be nice in northeast Boise. That would put you within 15 minutes of the Lucky Peak Reservoir and boat launching at Spring Shores, a great place to boat. There are properties in Emmett and Middleton, too, but they are pretty far out. Given your price range, I think you could find something closer in that meets your needs.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:11 PM

125 posts, read 284,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox67 View Post
My wife and I have visited Boise on several occasions and really enjoy all the outdoor activities, compared to what we have grown up with in north Texas. We are looking for the following and would welcome any suggestions:

Nice, quiet non-cookie cutter area. Do not need housing development, but think we'd like something on the river, or at least something where we have some elbow room.

We have no kids, so great schools are not particularly something we are including in our decision.

We are fairly active in our early 40's and I have an interest in fly fishing. Since we both have jobs where we are able to work from our home office, we have no commute, so it would be great if I could fish after work.

Estimating up to $250-275K for house.

We'd like to be within 45 minutes of the airport.

Finally, I have a 12' inflatable pontoon boat with trolling motor I'd like to use. Are there reservoirs in the area that would be good for something like this?

I've read a little about Middleton and Emmitt. Are these viable living options, or are there better ones? Thanks in advance for your input.
Payette. The End.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:18 PM

3,110 posts, read 9,433,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsNegro View Post
Payette. The End.
Here's the CDF profile on Payette...
http://www.city-data.com/city/Payette-Idaho.html

Old 08-22-2012, 09:36 PM

66 posts, read 158,491 times
PS Pops, love PJ O'Rourke.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:18 PM

100 posts, read 200,453 times
You might consider the area around Lake Lowell suitable for your priorities. Welcome to Idaho!

Old 09-10-2012, 07:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,827 times
How exciting for you to possibly be moving to Idaho! It is a great area around here. You might look in to Middleton, Star, New Plymouth, Fruitland, Emmett or maybe even Parma. They are all on the smaller side (Parma is very small). But all very lovely! If you want any more specific advice/details, just let me know I'd be happy to help!

Old 11-18-2012, 02:44 PM

4 posts, read 8,295 times
Several months after my original post, I am now happy to say my house in Dallas is under contract with a closing date of December 27. With that said, I'm going to be moving to Boise around December 29. We've decided rather than trying to time purchasing a home in an area we aren't completely familiar with to just renting for a year until we get a better idea of where we'd like to buy a house. We're still compiling information so that when we do buy we are prepared. So far we think that our house would ideally be in Meridian, Eagle, or Boise proper, and we've eliminated areas like Emmitt or Star, because they seem a little too far from downtown. We'd like a house on an over sized lot that may be up tp 15-20 years old. We'd like to avoid the typical master planned community if at all possible. Does anybody have any input on our thinking?

Old 11-22-2012, 02:44 PM

592 posts, read 1,320,479 times
If you can plan on arriving and renting something furnished and temporary for at least a couple of weeks, you'll be able to evaluate the area and decide if you want to take a little longer to buy or at least have some time to rent. The rental market is very, very tight right now so whether renting or buying, plan some time to make an intelligent decision. You'll find suggestions on this forum about temporary housing--some that come to mind are the Bond Street Apartments, The Boise Guest House, Extended Stay America, or searching the Vacation Rental by Owner website or Craigslist under the "temporary housing" category.

Historically, housing prices hit an annual low in December/January--right at the same time that the inventory is at the bottom, too. However, our current housing market keeps climbing price-wise without a real slowdown because of the winter/holiday season. I would expect prices to continue to rise over the next year. It has been amazing to see how our housing market has changed over the past year. Many of the rock-bottom deals that we saw in 2009-2011 are just not out there anymore and in most prime areas of town we have just 2-3 months of inventory on the market. It could be a good time to go ahead and buy if the right thing is out there for you. Otherwise, if you can find a six-month lease, that would give you flexibility that may be nice. At least know up front what your buy-out or penalty is if you break your lease.

There are some really nice, established neighborhoods in west Boise that could be a great fit for you, but your lot size would be more like .22-.28 acres--maybe not as oversized as you'd like. In the south Boise area, there are several areas that have .5-1.0 acre lots that are nice. You can get something gorgeous in Eagle on a large lot but you'll pay a lot more, so that will depend on your price range.

The area isn't *that* big so even a couple of weeks would allow you to get to know which areas feel right to you. I find that my out-of-state buyers can zero in on the areas that fit them best over the course of a week, and really fine-tune their location over a two-week period, particularly if they have a clear vision of what they want. If a couple is farther apart on what they want or has a higher price range that allows for more choices, that search and evaluation can take longer.

Good luck and congratulations on selling your home!

Old 11-22-2012, 04:21 PM

3,145 posts, read 3,070,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
Here's the CDF profile on Payette...
http://www.city-data.com/city/Payette-Idaho.html
Noticed the crime rate took a jump... especially in the rapes and assaults department. Anything going on in that town that caused that? Some weird criminal element let loose there in 2010? Strange...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area