Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 09:12 AM

51 posts, read 87,121 times

Advertisements

Hello! We currently live in Michigan and we're looking to transfer to a different area in the next 1-2 years. Boise is possibly a good fit for my husband and me, but we have one concern. Do people in Boise feel landlocked? In other words, we're used to just hitting the freeway and going for a day trip to Detroit, Traverse City or Grand Rapids to do something different. With Boise being somewhat secluded, do the residents of Boise ever feel that way? Boise is on our short list of possible places to go and other than the winter inversions, we have few concerns about keeping Boise on this list. Any information can be helpful! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 10:14 AM

993 posts, read 3,253,112 times
Landlocked is just a frame of mind.
Think of how far you'll be from Detroit as a good thing

Old 07-04-2011, 05:28 PM

623 posts, read 1,612,759 times
We hop in the car and take day trips to whitewater rafting, hiking, boating, fishing and skiing. There are lots of great destinations within a few hours of Boise that provide some of the best recreation anywhere.

For a city fix, I love to use Cheap & Discount Travel Deals, Flights & Hotels | Hotwire.com to book a cheap flight/hotel to Portland or Seattle.

Because we are so geographically isolated, we have a lot of amenities that other cities our size don't have. We've got a great urban university, thriving arts scene and vibrant downtown. We often have great regional and national bands stop over at our many concert venues as we're a logical stop between Portland and Salt Lake. We've got incredible city parks and opportunities for kids--this is a beautiful place to live.

To me, landlocked just means that we've been able to preserve our sense of independence the West is known for. Hope you love it, too.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:52 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
Was born in Michigan and grew up in northwestern Ohio right on the border. Other than not being able to go to Tigers games, there is nothing I miss about Michigan. The weather is a lot better and the outdoor amenities are fantastic. I travel 3-4 times a year for work, so it's just enough to get my fix of bigger cities.

If you can hack a Michigan winter, the inversions are nothing. Plus 20 degree temps in Boise mean that you can still go outside with a sweater and a windbreaker.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:38 AM

51 posts, read 87,121 times
Oh yes, we can hack a Michigan winter! My hubby and I both went to college in the U.P. and currently live in the northern L.P. snowbelt. Last winter, we braved below zero temps for some time and several snow days that kept the kids from going to school. Low temps in the 20's in January sound good to me! And yes, I'll miss the Tigers as well.

Last edited by zorro623; 07-05-2011 at 07:54 AM..

Old 07-06-2011, 08:58 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
In Michigan you may go to another city for a trip.

In Idaho, you just go to some sort of natural area. It's a different mindset. Just keep in mind that the entire state of Idaho has fewer people than Metro Detroit, and 10 years ago it had less than Detroit proper.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:56 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Boise offers a lot of metropolitan options for a city of this size because it is the big city for hundreds of miles around. People will drive hours to come to Boise to spend time in the big city. If you want to take a trip from Boise it is more like Sun Valley, McCall, up to North Idaho, or over to Portland. It would be the same if you lived in say, Salt Lake because in SLC you are hundreds of miles from the next large city too, this is the way the Intermountain West is, the large cities are isolated and far away from each other. If you live in Boise and want to trip to another large city then Seattle or Portland are the best options.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:31 PM

879 posts, read 2,858,374 times
SLC is the next largest city and it is a 5-6 hour drive. I wouldn't really waste driving that direction, take an extra couple hours and drive to Portland for a more distinct city feel. If you can afford it, most major West Coast cities have flights to/from Boise.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,138 times
Personally (I live here), I feel this way. I don't really think of Boise as a city, because of how small it is. I like actual cities, I have siblings that live in San Francisco and Seattle, and I may be moving to Austin soon, and the thing I like about those cities is that there is a lot really close by to them. In Idaho, all you have is Boise, and then all the tiny small towns. Also this year we have had some terrible weather! It didn't get warm until like June! I remember a few years back when I graduated from high school in early May and it was SUPER hot, and now it takes forever to warm up! Not cool.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:33 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,486,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro623 View Post
Hello! We currently live in Michigan and we're looking to transfer to a different area in the next 1-2 years. Boise is possibly a good fit for my husband and me, but we have one concern. Do people in Boise feel landlocked? In other words, we're used to just hitting the freeway and going for a day trip to Detroit, Traverse City or Grand Rapids to do something different. With Boise being somewhat secluded, do the residents of Boise ever feel that way? Boise is on our short list of possible places to go and other than the winter inversions, we have few concerns about keeping Boise on this list. Any information can be helpful! Thanks!
YES! The nearest metro is Salt Lake City which is a 6 hour drive from Boise. We do feel very landlocked and I have heard the same complaint from others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area