U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 09:57 AM

6 posts, read 12,135 times

Advertisements

deerbrook,

Not yet. My hubby goes up there in 3 weeks for the job interview. We are hopeful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 05:27 AM

15 posts, read 33,096 times
smtweston:

Everyone's advice on this thread was right on. I came here from Mission Viejo and didn't do my homework first, so I ended up buying a home in a somewhat less desirable neighborhood. Stick with Ada County (Eagle, Meridian and much of Boise), avoid Kuna, and you'll feel just like you're in OC, just more spread out.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:01 PM

8 posts, read 16,635 times
Hi, we are also from Orange County and thinking of moving to the Boise/Caldwell/Nampa area. We recently took a trip out there and we are SOOO excited about moving there!! It is so beautiful, I almost was going to faint. The parks are amazing. It's just a little different than here. More spread out, it seemed to be a slower pace and we didn't even get honked at!! One thing that was also impressive, is that people are soooo nice here!!! It is a win-win situation! We also have 6 couple friends that moved there over the years and we visited them and it was so nice to chat with them about the area. We too, will be looking for a church. The dry weather seems nice and when we were in 36 degree weather, it wasn't that bad, (and we had California clothes on), if we had the proper attire on, I think it wouldn't be too bad. Of course I've never been in 7 degree weather before so we'll have to see how that goes. From what we saw, we would move there in a heart beat!! LOVE IT overall!! Wish you the best with your move!

Old 11-25-2012, 11:03 PM

8 posts, read 16,635 times
Hi! So you live in Kuna? What about it do you wish you hadn't moved there, (if I read that correctly). We're also from Orange County... and was actually thinking that as one of our options. We were attracted to that because it didn't seem like "Irvine" like possibly Meridian does.... (but that's just our taste).

Thank you!

Old 11-26-2012, 09:24 PM

6 posts, read 12,135 times
DispatchDave,

My hubby is interviewing for a job in Canyon County (Nampa, Kuna, Caldwell) and advised the same as you for housing- to stick with Ada County. He didn't give a reason, just said that those are far nicer areas and the commute wouldn't be too bad for him. We are from Mission Viejo as well.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:46 PM

283 posts, read 431,997 times
The Idaho State Commission on Migration held a press conference yesterday at which it announced that Boise had reached its maximum quota of Californian transplants for this fiscal year.
In other words: we're closed.
Sorry.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:11 PM

5 posts, read 11,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickety_Split View Post
The Idaho State Commission on Migration held a press conference yesterday at which it announced that Boise had reached its maximum quota of Californian transplants for this fiscal year.
Sorry.
lol! Funny only because I know how you feel. It's been said a million times on this forum; Come one, come all, but be accepting, leave the OC behind! The big Suburban with the rich housewife on her cell phone, is getting quite old! Just because it is legal to talk and drive here, doesn't mean that it's a good idea! Be willing to change your attitude; Slow down, breathe the fresh air (with the exception of this past summer), take in the beauty, learn the real meaning of respect, and you too can be an Idahoan. -if not, you won't be accepted and you will find that you should have stayed in the OC!

Old 12-13-2012, 11:09 PM

33 posts, read 67,720 times
How did everything go? Keep us posted! My family is looking to move to meridian in a few months, my in laws live there but all of my family is in Wisconsin except a brother, sister in law, and 2 nephews in Sun Valley so about 3 hours from meridian. I also have a little one starting kindergarten next year and a 2 year old.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtweston View Post
DispatchDave,

My hubby is interviewing for a job in Canyon County (Nampa, Kuna, Caldwell) and advised the same as you for housing- to stick with Ada County. He didn't give a reason, just said that those are far nicer areas and the commute wouldn't be too bad for him. We are from Mission Viejo as well.
He is correct in that most of Ada County is nicer than Canyon, but Canyon is much cheaper. You'll get more bang for your buck. If you choose to live in Ada County, the commute won't be bad going to Canyon County in the morning. Most of the "traffic" goes eastbound in the morning, westbound in the afternoon. The exception to this being a good commute is if he has to take Eagle Road in the morning, which is the worst street out here, traffic wise.

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I'm not on here too often.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickety_Split View Post
Sorry.
Residents move to Idaho from outside the state. Demand for homes increases, thus value of homes increases. More residents = more demand for goods and services. This helps the local economy and the housing market. Tell me again why Idahoans want Californians to stay out.
We had been here about 2 weeks when an angry driver pulled up next to my wife as she was exiting the freeway, yelled obsenities about Californians at her, then proceeded to move his car so as to force her off the off ramp into the dirt. She was simply trying to take our 2 year old to his daycare. We have found this to be very much the exception, not the rule. People here are genuinely nice and this has been our only bad experience. But I still don't understand why so many Idahoans harbor a grudge toward Californians. No matter where one may hail from originally, it is rude to say, "Well back in our home state, we did it this way," or, "it was so much better in So and So State because of such and such a reason." Anyone who does this should expect to have a rude welcome. However, I've met many, many people here who are originally from SoCal and have not once heard one of them say anything negative in comparing one state to the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area