U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2007, 11:59 PM

1,001 posts, read 2,817,524 times

Advertisements

It would also be prudent to study Boise in comparison to metropolitan areas of similar size, population and area, instead of making comparisons to cities double, triple (or more) its size.

As has been repeatedly stated, when coming from one of these larger metro areas to Boise the commute (most likely) is much shorter and easier initially. After one becomes acclimated to the pace of life in Boise one also becomes acclimated to the time it should take to get to certain places, especially during non rush hour times.

But in my opinion the length of the commute is hardly the problem - it's mostly the congestion, the habits, tendencies, and attitudes of other drivers, the traffic patterns, and especially the quality of the roads that is the problem. I mean, commuting in those two-lane trenches between Boise and Nampa is a nightmare in perfect driving conditions, let alone rain, snow, ice, and gridlock/stop and go. And State Street? Ugh.

Anywhere, here is the list of comparable populations to Boise.

Quote:
Charleston-North Charleston, SC - 603,178
Greenville-Mauldin-Easley, SC - 601,986
Colorado Springs, CO - 599,127
Wichita, KS - 592,126
Youngstown-Warren-Boardman, OH-PA - 586,939
Cape Coral-Fort Myers, FL - 571,344
Boise City-Nampa, ID - 567,640
Lakeland, FL - 561,606
Scranton-Wilkes-Barre, PA - 550,841
Madison, WI - 543,022
Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville, FL - 534,359
Des Moines-West Des Moines, IA - 534,230
Jackson, MS - 529,456
Redding-Chico, CA - 529,215
Portland-South Portland-Biddeford, ME - 513,667
Modesto, CA - 512,138
Ogden-Clearfield, UT - 497,640
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_o...tistical_Areas

For the most part I'm not familiar with the traffic patterns of these cities. An interesting study would be to focus on metros larger than Boise and see if any of them have more favorable commutes/traffic.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 07:44 PM

33 posts, read 109,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I absolutely love boise, and I am a gay male. There is plenty of diversity here for a city its size. One of my good friends moved here from chicago. He's African American AND Gay.. and he loves it as well...
It's a good thing when we're all concerned with traffic, as most people in CA are. But the people here are from a more conservative and self-righteous place. A gay student at BSU was beaten up, and called security. They in turn called the police. The police interviewed the "GAY" as the news made clear. The following day he said that he had self inflicted wounds and had made up the story.

I have seen a mother bring her white daughter to a swim class with a wealthy black boy (refugee?) The mother told the teacher he was fondling her daughter, repeatedly accused the boy and teacher of seating the children together. On the third class, she spoke with management, demanded and received a full refund for the program. She was yelling at everyone because this sweet boy was in her daughter's class. The daughter was hitting the boy at will.

My children are mixed. No one played with them in our community pool. One fourth of July a boy decided to play with my child. The father scolded him and refused to let him back in the pool. A picture was taken at a community event the editor cropped my children out of the picture.

I was given a spinal at St Al's the doctor accidentally injected epinephrine. My heart rt settled at 165 for a good 2 hours before the "mistake" wore off. After this procedure I was given meds on 3 separate occasions that I am allergic to. Fortunately, the only reaction is violent nausea.

So I'm closed minded folks. And lets talk more about growth because that is precisely the solution to my personal experiences with "the locals."

Old 12-31-2007, 09:33 PM

33 posts, read 109,109 times
There is no crime - search for more fun articles when you get to our local news site:
http://www.ktvb.com/news/crime/stories/ktvbn-nov1706-gay_bashing.4833d4ff.html (broken link)

Old 01-02-2008, 04:01 AM

879 posts, read 2,494,212 times
black jack,

I am so sorry to hear all your misfortunes in Idaho. Are you stuck in Idaho? I would not raise my children in a place where they are apparently subjected to such racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area