U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 05:34 AM

369 posts, read 1,806,275 times

Advertisements

My brother, his wife and two sons, 11 and 14, relocated from the Sacramento area of CA to Boise about 2 years ago. They built their dream home - nothing Mcmansion-y, just nice. My brother bought a local business and everyone settled in. The problem now, from what I understand, is that they are thinking perhaps they have made a mistake. I think they love many things about the area, but from a financial point of view, it has not panned out as the comfortable life they were hoping for. I have read recently that ID is considered to be one of strongest states as far as growth and opportunity, but I am wondering if this is a reality to the people who have moved there from somewhere else.

So, basically I want to know:

- If you relocated to ID, would you do it again or not and why?
- How do you find it to live there from a financial standpoint?
- How are people supporting themselves? What jobs are hot for college educated male in midlife - I am not talking about waiting tables, but more along the lines of a professional career.

Thanks in advance for your insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 05:46 AM

4,660 posts, read 15,782,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnaie View Post

So, basically I want to know:

- If you relocated to ID, would you do it again or not and why?
- How do you find it to live there from a financial standpoint?
- How are people supporting themselves? What jobs are hot for college educated male in midlife - I am not talking about waiting tables, but more along the lines of a professional career.

Thanks in advance for your insights.
We relocated from the Central Valley of CA back in the early 90's and YES we'd do it again. Why? Because the lifestyle is a lot less intense; not worried about carjacking, feel safe driving most any place in town any time day or night, it's a low crime area, clean air, four seasons and the location speaks volumes.

We're married and his children are adults and don't live here. Working full time we are managing and enjoying life; the cost of living is much lower here as also are the wages for most sub-managerial positions.

Depending on what you brother is educated in, shouldn't be too difficult for him to maintain a career.

To give you a better idea, we live across the state in Bonneville County and we're both lucky enough to be working in the fields we enjoy

Old 10-08-2007, 07:25 AM

434 posts, read 2,912,421 times
Our family just moved here a year ago and despite some of the financial pitfalls, think that this move is the best thing we have ever done. Boise is just a great place to raise kids.

On the job front, speaking as a college educated male who has spent the past ten years in professional sales, Boise has been a challenge. I can't speak for guys that have a tech background, but only on my experience in sales. When we moved to Boise, I tried to open up my own sales distributorship. While potential clients were nice, gave me appointments and listened to my pitch, nobody was willing to switch vendors and give me any business. I think a lot of it was due to the fact that I was new to the area, representing a national company that never had a presence in the local market. So I decided that I better start looking for another sales job and because I wanted things like a competitive salary, insurance, car allowance and other benefits I only interviewed with national companies that were looking for a Idaho based sales rep. What I found is that I could get the salary and such, but the territory of most of these companies had me driving from CDA to Boise to Idaho Falls, one had a territory that was Salt Lake City to western Montana to Boise. Started working for one national company and it was a disaster, they would schedule sales meetings and put me in Idaho Falls at 9:00 in the morning and then in McCall at noon. They did not understand just how big Idaho was and all I ended up doing was fighting with the corporate office because I always had to re-schedule their pre-set appointments. Needless to say this job did last that long.

Luckily I found a local company that was in my industry and it has been a good fit. While I am making less than I could working for a similar firm in a bigger city, the benefits out weigh the bad. I have a local territory, clients that will buy from me because I work for a local firm and numerous other little perks.

My advice is be prepared to make less than you did anywhere else for the first couple of years. Don't try to start a business until you have lived here for a while and you get a sense of what and who makes things tick in Boise. This is still a small town and it is who you know, not what you know that makes you successful in business. But overall, this is a great town to live in, raise your kids, make friends, find a house and have a nice standard of living. You just have to do it on Boise's terms not yours.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:19 AM

306 posts, read 1,123,724 times
Default my 2 cents

Even though we've been here only a month, I still wanted to chime in. Yes, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. To begin with we left the miserable heat of AZ and landed here in the fall and the weather is stunning.

We are both college educated and in mid-life with two small children under 8. I must echo that this is a great place to raise children. My boys have played everyday with the neighborhood kids who have embraced their arrival. They have played outside more in the last month then they did in 6 months in Phoenix.

From a financial standpoint here are our results.
First, my husband did take a $5100 a year paycut in his new job - yes, its a lot but to us it was worth it to make the move.

We have seen some unforseen benefits that have ease the paycut issue. Like the fact that his commute used to be 37 miles -one way! (that's 370 miles a week ) Now he only drives 8 miles one way or (80 miles a week ) That is a HUGE savings on both GAS and car miles.

I used to drive my son to school ... I now walk him. the benifits are exercise and more gas money saved. Additionaly, our Car insurance went down to $463 for two cars ... we were paying $982 in Phoenix.

It took my husband over a year to find a good job and he flew up here 2 times prior to interview for jobs he did not get. We were patient and it worked out.

I see a lot of store fronts available and other business options. However, I would not venture into any new business here until I fully understood the market and the climate of the area. I certainly would save my pennies in the early years until I got more established and connected.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:09 PM

219 posts, read 736,247 times
Quote:
<...> but from a financial point of view, it has not panned out as the comfortable life they were hoping for.
There exists the possibility that they *might* have had unrealistic financial expectations and that, in turn, negatively impacted their highly anticipated so-called comfortable lifestyle.

This could've happened to them anywhere, not just in Boise, ID. There's quite a difference btw the Sacramento Valley and Treasure Valley when it comes to job opportunities and paychecks. This isn't like relocating from the Bay Area to the Sacramento Valley.

If someone sold a home for, say, $750K in CA and purchased a McMansion here in ID for the same price *and* expected the exact, same financial income then they're setting themselves up for a possible foreclosure.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:52 AM

369 posts, read 1,806,275 times
Thanks everyone for the responses. I just feel badly for them because while I know they are not miserable, I do think they are a bit regretful. I am hopeful that they will just hunker down and ride out this period of dissatisfaction, because for them I do think the positives outweigh the negatives. Appreciate the help!

Old 10-14-2007, 10:01 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,235,755 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the responses. I just feel badly for them because while I know they are not miserable, I do think they are a bit regretful. I am hopeful that they will just hunker down and ride out this period of dissatisfaction, because for them I do think the positives outweigh the negatives. Appreciate the help!
I'm in Atlanta (duh) and certainly not an expert on Boise, but will put in a comment. I've known several people who have gone there on both business and personal reasons, and everyone comes back really chatting away at how great Boise is - a very unexpected surprise for them. That being said, it's about half and half as to those who said they'd love to go back to live there, and those that had the, "it's a nice place to visit, but....", attitude.

I think the reason is that some folks are just simply city folks. They may not be thrilled with some of the negatives of living in a city (smog, crime, traffic, etc) but they still aren't happy unless they live in a larger city area, regardless. Sacramento is much larger than Boise, and let's face it, Californians as a whole do tend to have a different mindset than in many other areas. For some who are really ready for a complete change in their life, Boise might be a good fit, but maybe your Brother's family wasn't really ready yet - or at all.

They may simply be "city folk" and that's that - and maybe they don't want to admit it to themselves yet. The idea and image of getting away from the big bad big city, and getting a nice little home on land in a more rural quiet and safe area SOUNDS like Heaven to many people, but once there, they quickly go, "hmmmm.. this isn't quite how I envisioned it". I'd suggest they really do some soul searching to make sure the quiet(er) life of Boise is really for them. If they decide to move let me know... I think I *DO* want to live there and will buy their house! LOL

Old 10-14-2007, 10:32 PM

1,378 posts, read 5,617,909 times
I just flew in from Sacramento and boy let me tell you how nice it was to come home back to Boise. As a former Californian, I don't miss it one bit. We spent the weekend in Napa visiting my parents and though I love going back home, the traffic, rude people, constant congestion everywhere you go, well you couldn't pay me to go back there and live. You know it took us a good year and half before we adjusted here, but we are so glad we stuck it out. The people here are so much nicer than back home. It might help your brother's family to join some clubs or organizations where they can mingle with people. As friendly as everyone is in Boise I'm suprised they have not made friends. I wonder what their expectations were of this area? There is so much to do here and the quality of life is so much better that they should have been swept off their feet with all that the Treasure Valley has to offer. So for me, it's great to go back and visit, but Boise is where it's at.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:00 AM

608 posts, read 582,118 times
Boise is a geat place to start or operate a business. There are so many people relocating here, just find what they need and fill the need. I dont know how it is for a person working for wages, I've been self employed a good part of my life and would never go back to working for a salary and set hours.

Opportunites suround you every day, you just have to notice them.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:00 PM

3 posts, read 14,073 times
Default Reality In Boise If you are a outsider

I've been in Boise for the last 2 years I had a very successful business in another state. I have found that if you are not from Boise people here will not use your services. Also everyone of my quotes I go out too they ask me where Iím from.

If I tell them the truth I donít get the business 100 percent of the time. Local Boise people would rather get bad service from a local than great customer service from someone that originated from out of state.

I brought my family here in hopes of a better life for my kids and wife and have only found that Iím working against a hostile group of townies that donít want to do business with me. Not because of my personality, high qualifications but because I wasnít born in Idaho.

I feel at some point Idaho will suffer greatly for this attitude. Knowing what I know now I would never move to Idaho. Pick a state where the people are friendly and the business atmosphere is open and you will be a much more happy person for it.

I will be cutting my loses here and leaving this year for sure.

Sincerely

Outsider in Boise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area