Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 12:39 PM

150 posts, read 580,382 times

Advertisements

There is a new place called Asian Wok on 35th and State. Everything they serve there is completely made from scratch and they make fresh Dim Sum on Saturday's and sell them until its gone
I haven't tried it yet because I just and picked up lunch. But I will next time. They have 5 different kinds too I believe!!

I know there was someone on here that loved Dim Sum but said there wasn't any in Boise but now there is! I will report back once I have tried it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 01:32 AM

229 posts, read 706,862 times
I saw over the weekend that it was open. I'll stop by at some point to grab a menu, but color me skeptical when the word "Asian" is used in a restaurant name. Sounds like other various restaurants around here who dabble in food from different Asian cultures yet are masters at none of them. Their aim is too broad, and they're better off trying to specialize in one area and mastering it. Though even if it was Chinese food that they specialized in, it will in all likelihood be the heavily Americanized Chinese food that Boise will only support.

As for dim sum, having only five offerings doesn't get me too excited. They're probably really safe options for the masses like shumai and har gow, but we shall see. Yen Ching has actually been doing dim sum for awhile now (since late summer/early fall I think), and their offerings are closer to having a more authentic dim sum experience. Two different offerings of tripe, sticky rice in lotus leaves, and even the good ol' chicken feet covered in a black bean sauce. I'd say they have in the neighborhood of 10-15 different options, so I think Yen Ching would be the place to go to instead of Asian Wok for dim sum.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,639 times
Dear Ramenfan,
I am the owner of Asian Wok. I agree it would be impossible to master in Chinese food or any one culture. China is a huge country; I have only lived in Canton (Guang Dong) for 11 years. So I grew up on the pacific coast, eating fish fresh of the ocean, and vegetables picked fresh daily from the fields for lunch and dinner. Many people in China raised their own chicken and vegetables. There are many different styles of authentic Chinese food. If you ever feel like trying authentic Cantonese food, feel free to come in to my restaurant and I will prepare you a whole chicken or duck with bones in just like they would serve it in China along with many other Chinese dishes such as bitter melon, bok choy, winter melon, Chinese broccoli and much more. I am currently offering a small selection of dim-sum with only a few items for the public to try. Some dishes like sweet and sour pork or egg rolls, where we think they are heavily Americanized, but yet not so much. On my recent visit to China last summer, they sold sweet and sour dishes at many restaurants in mainland China and Hong Kong. Enjoy your day! -Kelli

Old 02-03-2011, 12:11 PM

Nice! Always good to get feedback from the restaurant owners.

In Boise I don't think it matters if a place specializes in Cantonese or Szechuan or Hunan, because it all tends to get the Americanized treatment (for example, people sure love sweet sticky goo on their meals here). A real headscratcher for Cantonese food due to the emphasis on the taste of the ingredients and not using a large amount of spices or condiments to mask the taste.

Whole duck? Intriguing. My wages aren't the highest, so it might have to be saved for a special occasion if I'm correctly thinking how much it could cost. The one thing I've been really missing is a whole fish in black bean sauce. Everyone is too scared to offer whole fish here (ironic in that we're in an outdoorsy culture with a lot of fishermen).

Are all of the more authentic offerings you mentioned on the actual menu, or is there a side menu for people with my kind of interests?

Old 12-04-2012, 04:51 PM

58 posts, read 130,763 times
Glad to hear there are some good places to get Asian / Chinese food in Boise. My wife and I will most likely be moving to Boise in January and as she is from China, this is good news for us.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy58 View Post
Glad to hear there are some good places to get Asian / Chinese food in Boise. My wife and I will most likely be moving to Boise in January and as she is from China, this is good news for us.
Well, don't get too excited. The handful of Chinese I've encountered are well aware that the Chinese food is not up to snuff for Chinese immigrants. I've come across a Micron employee who shares a similar story with the immigrants he works with. When I asked a rep of the Idaho Chinese Association (or something like that) which restaurant she would go to in town for Chinese food, she couldn't even recommend one and told me to cook my own food instead. There IS an elderly cook/owner of a place called Wok Inn who hand pulls his noodles from scratch. And if you go off menu at certain places, you might have some semblance of success. Otherwise I'd tell your wife to try and make inroads with other Chinese here and hold potluck dinners.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:03 PM

623 posts, read 1,612,282 times
There is a great Asian supermarket at Emerald & Orchard just down the way from the Wok Inn Noodle. There appears to be another Asian market opening soon. Just another thing I love about my neighborhood on the Boise Bench!

Old 12-13-2012, 03:09 PM

Hands down my favorite area to eat isn't in downtown but on or just off of Orchard between the connector and Franklin. Ethnic food galore.

Where is this new Asian market going to be? The current one you're talking about used to be my go-to place but they are quite awful when it comes to keeping certain things in stock. I substituted another store for them but I still need to visit two other Asian markets to get everything I want.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:27 PM

623 posts, read 1,612,282 times
The new market is in the same strip mall. It's called something like "Oriental Market Two" or something funny like that. It's down closer to Chaing Mai. Yes, we live a few blocks from there and love all of our dining choices. It's a fun, eclectic neighborhood like that. Can't wait to try the new Italian place on Orchard near Alpine. I've been hearing great things about it.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:56 AM

19 posts, read 70,706 times
asia market is in the cole shopping center off ustick/cole nice little shop its within walking distance of my place so I shop there every few weeks. owners are very nice people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: