U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2012, 07:08 PM

151 posts, read 195,668 times

Advertisements

My wife, also known as The Fantasy Goddess, and I will be travelling to Boise on the weekend of February 9th. I would like some ideas of where to stay. We plan on spending one day at Bogus Basin just for fun since I have never skied. Other than that day, we will be travelling around just kind of looking, checking out neighborhoods and churches.

If you were here, where would you stay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 08:09 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,790,197 times
Boise is big enough to be interesting, but small enough to see a lot. Start downtown and experience the many vibrant small businesses that still exist there. Careful, many are closed Sunday. Drive around the Capital, it is typical of many state capitals, but quite beautiful.

If the weather permits, park around ParkCenter and walk the path along the the river. Even in winter, it is quite beautiful.

This is the same area as the South Broadway/South Boise district. Many nice residential options here.

If you need a mall atmosphere, the Boise Town Square is the largest mall in Idaho. I usually avoid it because it can be found in anywhere USA.

I'm sure others will have suggestions, but this is a basic start.

As for places to stay, depends on your budget, but The Grove downtown is one of the best. There are lower priced options around the airport.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:05 PM

148 posts, read 285,805 times
When I was house hunting I stayed at the Hampton Inn downtown, it was reasonable and very nice.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:28 AM

284 posts, read 506,060 times
When I came out and found a place to live I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn at the Spectrum. Nice accommodations and not "too far" from anything.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:52 PM

148 posts, read 285,805 times
We also stayed at the Springhill Suites on Chinden and Cloverdale, the first night when I moved here. It too was very nice! Close to Eagle and West Boise

Old 12-31-2012, 12:42 PM

592 posts, read 1,319,694 times
For a night, The Modern Hotel downtown is fun. The Hampton Inn is a great overall value with breakfast, nice hotel, and central downtown location. The Owyhee Plaza is an old local standby and often has good room specials. Hotel 43 is nice and glamorous with the easy option of a yummy steak dinner at their restaurant, Chandler's. Your Fantasy Goddess might like the Anniversary Inn and their themed room suites.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:30 PM

9 posts, read 13,706 times
I stayed at Boise Hillside Suites. Oh my! It's so private and on the hillside. The rooms are gorgeous and while it's private and you feel away, you're really only 5-10 minutes away from downtown and about a mile from the Bogus Basin inlet. Awesome place.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:16 PM

228 posts, read 475,966 times
We made four visits to Boise over a two year period. The first time we stayed at the Boise Guest House on North 5th Street. That visit was for four weeks and it worked out well. The other three visits ranged from 5 days to 2.5 weeks, and we stayed at the Hyatt on Milwaukee every time.

The guest house was great for the long stay because it was a 2-BR apartment with a full-size, fully equipped kitchen, and a laundry facility. They only have a few rooms, so make reservations as long in advance as you can.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:05 PM

171 posts, read 202,470 times
We stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn and were quite comfortable. They have full kitchens and living areas. We requested a ground level room and were able to wheel our bikes in and out easily.

We have also stayed at Boise Hillside Suites and The Grove. Boise Hillside Suites was nice, but had a couple of problems from our perspective. First, they don't have regular TV, only on-demand, and we were unable to watch the World Series or to catch any news. Then, we could hear the people in the neighboring room whenever we were in the living area of our room. We heard their conversations and their persistent coughing. It was kind of awkward and made us feel like we needed to whisper to avoid being overheard.
The Grove is nice, but is a traditional hotel. Great location for downtown.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:43 PM

11 posts, read 21,304 times
If you are thinking about Hidden Springs, I believe you can stay in a rental at the Mercantile. That would give you a good idea of the neighborhood and you can walk to everything in the neighborhood from there. Good Luck and we will be interested in hearing what you think of the Boise area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area