Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 01:15 PM

84 posts, read 265,942 times

Advertisements

Just received some photos from my appraisal company and there was snow on the neighborhood street. The street was not cleared and looked dangerous to drive. Is this winter the norm for the area? I've been to Boise before but never in the wintertime.

I currently live in MN and we have lots of snow but the roads are kept clear from the dept of transportation.

Can't wait until next weekend because I'm flying out to Boise! It's been a long time coming (2 years).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 01:57 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,462,930 times
I'm not sure if Ada County even owns any snowplows anymore. I haven't seen one in years, other than the small ones on the front of pickup trucks. We don't typically get a lot of snow in the winters and it doesn't usually stick around for long when we do.

It seems the current policy on clearing the roads focuses on salt and sand. It isn't that bad, really. The main tire tracks on the main streets are pretty much all clear today, with some streets being almost completely clear. Traffic today at lunchtime was moving at the speed limit on main roads in my area of town. The side streets are pretty much all still snow covered. They usually salt/sand near the intersections on side streets, but not the whole road.

So no, don't expect the subdivision streets to be plowed, or even sanded or salted, ever. Most of them are not.

As I posted in another Idaho thread this week, the key is to slow down. Don't come here and expect to actually drive the speed limit on snowy days. I usually keep it below 30, and if there is a lot of traffic, below 25. Keep about 3 times the distance between you and the car ahead of you as you normally would, too. Finally, know how to regain control of the vehicle WHEN it slides, because it will at some point. I've slid several times this week, usually when turning corners.

As for whether this winter is normal...we used to get a lot of snow in Boise. In the last couple of decades, however, it has become more normal to get 1 or 2 decent storms, and maybe a little snow a couple of other times. One time in the last decade, I had to shovel a decent amount of snow 13 times. Another year recently, I never even took the shovel out of the closet, just used a broom a couple of times. You just never know. If it continues like this all winter, then no, that isn't normal. But a single storm like this is very typical.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:13 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,894,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseville lover View Post
Just received some photos from my appraisal company and there was snow on the neighborhood street. The street was not cleared and looked dangerous to drive. Is this winter the norm for the area? I've been to Boise before but never in the wintertime.

I currently live in MN and we have lots of snow but the roads are kept clear from the dept of transportation.

Can't wait until next weekend because I'm flying out to Boise! It's been a long time coming (2 years).
ACHD (Ada County Highway District) has snow plows which typically stick to the major artery streets while ITD takes care of the interstates. The neighborhood streets usually do not get plowed by ACHD so you just have to slow down, they really are not dangerous to drive while snow covered, you just have to watch out for the other person. Boise gets snow each winter but is less than what the rest of the state receives. It is rare for snow to stick around in the city for too long. The Twin Falls area and Eastern Idaho get much more snow on average then Boise does.
Today the sun is shining and the main streets I have driven on are almost free of snow and just wet.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:22 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,705,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseville lover View Post

Not the norm, happens maybe a few times a year and sometimes not at all. It snowed a few inches the other night and it was enough to cancel school, so that should give you some idea of the rarity of any significant in-town accumulation.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
ACHD (Ada County Highway District) has snow plows which typically stick to the major artery streets while ITD takes care of the interstates.
Do they? My husband and I were just talking about it the other day that neither of us have seen any for years, and the main roads in West Boise definitely haven't been plowed this week. Maybe they just do downtown? Or maybe just the super major streets, like Fairview and Eagle.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Do they? My husband and I were just talking about it the other day that neither of us have seen any for years, and the main roads in West Boise definitely haven't been plowed this week. Maybe they just do downtown? Or maybe just the super major streets, like Fairview and Eagle.
I believe they cover the entire county, I have seen plows this week in east Boise, downtown and Meridian.
Out in West Boise they may just do the major commuter streets like you said. Maybe someone from ACHD lurks here at this forum and can fill us in.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:46 PM

674 posts, read 1,458,497 times
Both ACHD and ITD have plows.

When and how they deploy them is another matter.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
I believe they cover the entire county, I have seen plows this week in east Boise, downtown and Meridian.
Out in West Boise they may just do the major commuter streets like you said. Maybe someone from ACHD lurks here at this forum and can fill us in.
How odd. I live and work near the mall, and my "bubble" centers around that part of town. It is an extremely high traffic area, and I would think if they plowed anywhere, they would plow in that area, but I remember 18 years ago driving down Milwaukee and there was so much gunk built up on the road (from not being plowed over the course of several days' melting and refreezing) that my hood popped open from all the bouncing around. I had to pull over and close it before I could continue driving. I don't think I've seen a plow (or evidence of a plowed road) in all the years since then. I see salt and sand trucks 5 or 6 times a day when it snows though. I really thought they had gotten rid of all the plows.

But then, I don't drive very much, either. Maybe they are plowing the roads near me and I just never ever see them. But the amount of snow between the tire tracks would argue against that.

I know there never have been very many plows for the whole of Ada County. Back when I was in college, in Logan Utah, I used to joke that the university owned more plows than all of Ada County, because not only the streets, but all the walkways were always plowed before 7 AM every snowy morning.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:37 PM

Snowplows and sand trucks work overnight for clear morning commute | KTVB.COM Boise

Old 01-11-2013, 04:10 PM

Interesting, thanks for the link.

13 plows for the entire county is practically 0, so it is no wonder I haven't seen them, and no wonder most roads are not plowed.

I also noticed it said that their main defense was sand and salt mixed, which matches what I've seen.

I especially noticed the quote by the spokesman where she said "We do have plows. It's a myth that we don't plow". That told me two things. First that I'm not the only one who isn't seeing the mystery plows, and secondly that I'm guilty of perpetuating a myth. /curses/ And my favorite show is Mythbusters. 10 demerits for Lacerta today. /Bad, Lacerta, Bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area