U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 11:16 PM

6,564 posts, read 12,271,399 times

Advertisements

It is beginning to look like we'll be moving to the Boise area over the next year or so. While I didn't want to move, if we had to move, Boise would have been high on the list for a lot of reasons, so I'm embracing the positive and seeking out every good thing about Boise. One thing I miss where I live is a good variety of ethnic cuisines; where I live, basically, Mexican so dominates the ethnic food scene that a regular American restaurant is at least a little exotic. The only decent Asian option here is Thai, and we have some good Italian places.

I'm hoping for good Szechuan, Filipino, Greek, Middle Eastern and Indian options in addition to the usuals. However, I'll try just about anything. I don't expect it to be San Francisco, but I'm glad it's not, because the place is just too huge. How's the selection, in terms of variety and quality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 07:01 AM

2,941 posts, read 6,763,668 times
For a mid-sized metro area Boise has some decent ethnic restaurants. If you are adventuresome just drive up and down Orchard Street between Franklin and Fairview. Bunch of small, ethnic hole in the wall restaurants along that street. Used to work off of Orchard and within walking distance of my job were Mexican, Argentinian, Bosnian, Thai, Chinese and Vietnamese.

My take on ethnic restaurants (actually most restaurants in Boise) is that you won't find any great restaurants but a fair amount of good ones.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:34 PM

228 posts, read 476,058 times
There's also an excellent Basque restaurant downtown.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:51 PM

I like the sound of this. I haven't had Argentine. If they get actual Argentine beef (which I've long wanted to try), that's even better. Haven't tried Basque either, but would love to; makes me wonder if there is a substantial Basque population in the region. Wouldn't surprise me for a couple reasons. Only had Bosnian a few times but would go back for more.

While great would be very nice, I'll take generally good and smile, especially if it's not too expensive. It's not realistic to expect a Vancouver or Seattle level of restaurant quality and diversity when the market isn't as large as those, but if there is at least a respectable option, one can be happy with that.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:36 PM

86 posts, read 211,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Haven't tried Basque either, but would love to; makes me wonder if there is a substantial Basque population in the region.
I think Idaho has the second highest Basque population in the US.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:59 PM

592 posts, read 1,320,122 times
I always heard the Boise has the highest concentration of Basques outside of the Basque Country of Spain. There may be more Basqes in California by numbers, but I think we are known here for the strong community. Here are some links to more info: The Basque Museum & Cultural Center | Boise, ID |, The Basque Block

Old 01-21-2013, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchfan View Post
I always heard the Boise has the highest concentration of Basques outside of the Basque Country of Spain. There may be more Basqes in California by numbers, but I think we are known here for the strong community. Here are some links to more info: The Basque Museum & Cultural Center | Boise, ID |, The Basque Block
Wow. One of those things that's good to know before moving there. I've had Catalan cooking but not Basque. Putting that high up on my list of stuff to check out when we scout the place out.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:25 AM

86 posts, read 211,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benchfan View Post
I always heard the Boise has the highest concentration of Basques outside of the Basque Country of Spain. There may be more Basques in California by numbers, but I think we are known here for the strong community. Here are some links to more info: The Basque Museum & Cultural Center | Boise, ID |, The Basque Block
My wife is an Idaho native Basque. We'd always heard the same thing about the Basque population in Boise, but it appears that California has about 4 times the number as Idaho. The Fresno area has a large concentration.

Idaho probably gets the recognition because they stand out in a much less populated state. Or perhaps they just have a better PR agent.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:30 AM

Come to find out our self-adopted daughter's husband, whose family is Basque, is related to just about everyone in Boise who is Caucasian, so this should not have surprised me. This is the sort of thing that makes a community excellent: old traditions carried on in new and adapted but well-liked ways that have room for everyone to participate.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:43 AM

592 posts, read 1,320,122 times
Steamboat, I think it's not the highest number of Basques, but rather the highest concentration of Basques, or the most number in one city? Yes, California has the highest number but it's a huge state with people spread out. In Idaho, Boise has a large population in a relatively small area so a great sense of community and culture with restaurants, museums, dance groups, events, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or