Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 06:39 PM

239 posts, read 616,595 times

Advertisements

For all of you familiar with Togo's, how great is this news?! 5 locations in Boise, first opening this summer.

Omgosh I can't wait to sink my teeth into a #16, #25, #3, etc.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 09:03 PM

623 posts, read 1,608,210 times
Have you tried Deli George in Boise? They are local and really yummy.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:05 PM

278 posts, read 903,705 times
Never heard of them but I'm guessing lots of ex-Californians will be familiar? Lots of sandwich shops (especially chains) in the area now so they better be good!

Old 01-26-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
Never heard of them but I'm guessing lots of ex-Californians will be familiar? Lots of sandwich shops (especially chains) in the area now so they better be good!
Some people think theres too much bread, but the bread is soooo good. Their sandwiches are so yummy and fresh. If you like turkey and avovado you will be in Heaven!
Benchfan, I haven't heard of the other place but if I'm in the area I will check them out for sure, thanks for the tip!

Old 01-26-2013, 11:06 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,449,522 times
How are they different from Subway Quiznos etc?

Old 01-26-2013, 05:28 PM

229 posts, read 705,162 times
I would enjoy going there on occasion and thought it was decent for a chain. But admittedly that was before I started expanding my palette and started venturing to Jewish and Italian delis and points beyond. Not sure how it would taste to me now. I'll have one for old times sake, but I'm happy with my current options. And besides, sandwich shops are one of the LAST kinds of eateries we need more of in the valley. Opening and maintaining five locations seems awfully optimistic.

Twice now I've seen mentions of Cobby's being a ripoff of Togo's, right down to having similar numbers on the menu for some of the sandwiches. That does hold true for some of the sandwiches when you compare menus. Togo's doesn't offer free fruit and chips. It's been long enough since I had a sandwich at either place for me to say if they're similar or not (Cobby's prices are ridiculous IMO).

Old 01-26-2013, 06:30 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,352,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenfan View Post
I would enjoy going there on occasion and thought it was decent for a chain. But admittedly that was before I started expanding my palette and started venturing to Jewish and Italian delis and points beyond. Not sure how it would taste to me now. I'll have one for old times sake, but I'm happy with my current options. And besides, sandwich shops are one of the LAST kinds of eateries we need more of in the valley. Opening and maintaining five locations seems awfully optimistic.

Twice now I've seen mentions of Cobby's being a ripoff of Togo's, right down to having similar numbers on the menu for some of the sandwiches. That does hold true for some of the sandwiches when you compare menus. Togo's doesn't offer free fruit and chips. It's been long enough since I had a sandwich at either place for me to say if they're similar or not (Cobby's prices are ridiculous IMO).

Cobby's and Togo's.

I looked online and they were both founded in the 70's, Cobby's in Idaho and Togo's in California. Is it possible Togo's may be a ripoff of Cobby's? I will support the local place before the chain from California invading Boise.

I buy a sandwich at Cobby's a few times a month and I don't mind the higher prices because I know I am paying for quality and the meat is a lot better then most national chains.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:20 PM

229 posts, read 705,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
Cobby's and Togo's.

I looked online and they were both founded in the 70's, Cobby's in Idaho and Togo's in California. Is it possible Togo's may be a ripoff of Cobby's? I will support the local place before the chain from California invading Boise.

I buy a sandwich at Cobby's a few times a month and I don't mind the higher prices because I know I am paying for quality and the meat is a lot better then most national chains.
Togo's site says they started franchising in 1977. Cobby's site mentions opening in 1978 and had an article mentioning that the owner moved to Boise from another area, although it didn't say from where. I'm more inclined to think the owner took Togo's template and ran with it, although that can't be completely verified with the info given.

Cobby's is a local institution I have trouble understanding other than it's local. The sandwiches are alright and they're certainly a cut above chain quality, but I don't see their prices justifying the quality. In the past 2-3 years there are some local options that have sprouted up that are cheaper. Uncle Giuseppes uses the pricier Boars Head meats and cheeses nearly exclusively, yet all of their large sandwiches except for one are cheaper than any small sandwich at Cobby's. And I can get two footlong house specials from Baguette Deli for less than any small sandwich at Cobby's. Admittedly it's kinda apples and oranges since banh mi isn't exactly like a sub sandwich (and the quality of the meats could be a consideration for some), but it's still a sandwich and offers something different from the norm. Both those places use fresh bread too (not sure about Cobby's). A tiny piece of fruit and a small bag of chips doesn't justify the added expense unless I brought in a plastic bag and stuffed the majority of it with bags of potato chips from that barrel. I'd probably have to hightail it out of there like the opening scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark, but that's the only situation where I wouldn't feel like I got ripped off.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenfan View Post

Ramen,
Are there any good Jewish deli's around Boise? Looking for chopped liver, stuffed cabbage rolls, good brisket, etc
Give Togo's another try...try the BBQ beef or the turkey and avocado...or the italian (#16) oh I need to stop now I'm getting hungry

Old 01-27-2013, 08:11 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,449,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
How are they different from Subway Quiznos etc?
Forgot about Cobby's and now there's Jimmy John's too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area