U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 02:34 PM

2,133 posts, read 1,799,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hp1167 View Post
Apparently now we're last in the nation in wages.

Legislative leaders concerned over state's low wage rankings - Eye On Boise - Spokesman.com - Jan. 2, 2014

"The Famous Potatoes state ranks 50th for average annual wage, per-capita income, and for wage increases since 2007. It also has the greatest percentage of minimum-wage workers in America."
This got me thinking about poverty levels, at first consideration I figured that must mean that the poverty level must be the worst, or close to it, if wages are poor then surely that reflects on the economic quality of life? Well, wages and the cost of living equals economy of scale and if things are in balance then a greater number of people would enjoy a better quality of life. Looking at this Interactive Poverty Map | State and County Level Poverty Information# for perspective would indicate that the economy is decently to scale and decently balanced for the poverty level in Idaho, rather average at the ranking of #28.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 03:00 PM

2,727 posts, read 5,147,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
This got me thinking about poverty levels, at first consideration I figured that must mean that the poverty level must be the worst, or close to it, if wages are poor then surely that reflects on the economic quality of life? Well, wages and the cost of living equals economy of scale and if things are in balance then a greater number of people would enjoy a better quality of life. Looking at this Interactive Poverty Map | State and County Level Poverty Information# for perspective would indicate that the economy is decently to scale and decently balanced for the poverty level in Idaho, rather average at the ranking of #28.
Nice find because this gives a great insight. Note how Oregon has a higher poverty rate and much of the Intermountain West is similar to Idaho, some a bit better, some worse. Another item to consider is outside of the Boise area much of Idaho is very rural except for CD'A, Twin Falls, Pocatello and Idaho Falls and these four are still smaller cities/towns. The stats from the rest of the state surely must differ from the stats for the Boise Metro. I posted a link in the Idaho News thread about Idaho being one of the top states for job growth in 2013, hopefully wages will begin to climb as Idaho and the nation tries to pull itself out of the economic slump. We also need a new governor who is more business savvy.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 01-03-2014 at 03:20 PM..

Old 01-03-2014, 03:58 PM

708 posts, read 1,155,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
Interesting map. I also noticed if you break it down by county, Ada County falls in the better end of the third highest category (out of 8 categories).

A lot of Idaho is very rural, which by nature will bring down your state-wide average wage. I think Idaho also has a relative lack of good paying jobs for unskilled labor, meaning you aren't going to do real well with just a HS diploma in your back pocket unless you're successfully self employed. There's no auto plant down the road to go find a job, basically.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:32 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,327,923 times
People have been "hoping" wages will climb here for decades. Its a pipe dream. No amount of fancy marketing will obscure that fact.

You have to just accept it for what it is, and decide what you need to make it here and be happy, or if its worth the risk to try it out. Some people do, others do not. Its why our population is still relatively low.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:48 AM

2,423 posts, read 3,140,928 times
Boise is a nice place to live but wages are low and jobs are hard to come by. For the longest time I was entertaining the idea of investing in Idaho by opening a small business there. I decided it wasn't a good idea as the economy still has not recovered and wages are too low. Too many red flags for me in ID not just pertaining to business.

-Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area