Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 01:51 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,859,400 times

Advertisements

Ghostpoet and CrownVic95,
If I were you I would not base the job market on a few naysayers. Of course Boise has jobs, really good to poor paying jobs, Boise would not be growing as swiftly as it is if there were not jobs, and Boise would not have one of the lowest unemployemnt rates if there were not any jobs. Sure there are many service jobs which don't pay as well, but there are also many other professional jobs that do pay well. I glanced over the State of Idaho job listing today for the Boise area and saw quite a few good paying office,accounting jobs. I moved here with a job transfer, but I also know many other people who moved here without jobs and looked for good paying jobs and found them, and yes they have childern and are supporting them nicely.
The funny thing is that some people on this forum act as if this is a Boise issue. Good luck with yourselves then, because I have a brother who has a bachelors degree and lives in Seattle and cannot find a job, except for low paying service jobs, and the cost of living may end up pushing him to another city to look for work. America is becoming a "sevice job" country because all of our good jobs are being shipped overseas. I worry our country is in for some major changes and loss of world power as the years progress
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 03:37 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,086,673 times
My nephew has been unemployed for almost 3 months now. He's a recent college grad trying to find a decent career, but I guess nothing much is working out for him. He says its slim pickings, and it seems that employers have the pick of the litter. He's trying to hold out of taking lower paying service jobs, but looks like he might have to soon.

I wouldn't want to be someone trying to crack into this market right now. Yikes.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:05 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,645,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Ghostpoet and CrownVic95,
If I were you I would not base the job market on a few naysayers. Of course Boise has jobs, really good to poor paying jobs, Boise would not be growing as swiftly as it is if there were not jobs, and Boise would not have one of the lowest unemployemnt rates if there were not any jobs. Sure there are many service jobs which don't pay as well, but there are also many other professional jobs that do pay well. I glanced over the State of Idaho job listing today for the Boise area and saw quite a few good paying office,accounting jobs. I moved here with a job transfer, but I also know many other people who moved here without jobs and looked for good paying jobs and found them, and yes they have childern and are supporting them nicely.
The funny thing is that some people on this forum act as if this is a Boise issue. Good luck with yourselves then, because I have a brother who has a bachelors degree and lives in Seattle and cannot find a job, except for low paying service jobs, and the cost of living may end up pushing him to another city to look for work. America is becoming a "sevice job" country because all of our good jobs are being shipped overseas. I worry our country is in for some major changes and loss of world power as the years progress
Ok, here we go again.

I’m not basing anything on naysayers and I’m certainly not going to base anything on yeahsayers, either. I’m basing my view and concern on the facts as I see them and, trust me, I’m quite seasoned in this job hunting arena. I’ve been in it for 41 years in many different US cities, ranging from Albany, NY to San Francisco.

Boise IS very different from the San Francisco or Seattle areas because, if for no other reason, it is so much smaller. There simply isn’t the foundation of corporate offices that there is here to support a large number of accounting clerk type positions. I work here at the $19-20/hr level and there is an abundance of those jobs available. In Boise those same jobs pay somewhere around $11.00 and they are few and far between, relatively speaking. Yes, I have seen some Boise ads for degreed Accountants and CPAs, but my resume falls short of those qualifications and those, too, are few and far between compared to here.

It is not a Boise issue, it is a small metro vs. large metro issue. I share your concern about our nation’s future as more and more jobs are outsourced, but the fact remains that it is still generally easier to find work in a large metro with a good economy than in a much smaller one.

With all due respect, Accountemps is in the business – every day – and I give more credence to their staffing manager who says Boise business has gotten tough for them with the housing market crash than I do to forum posts that tell me not to listen to naysayers.

The fact is that, if things were as rosy as you are trying to convey and there really was high market demand, we would see more jobs posted on the job boards than we do.

Again, I was up there last week. Very nice area, but I saw lots of people working below their skill and polish level in retail and restaurant jobs. If those folks could do better they wouldn’t be in those jobs.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:05 PM

364 posts, read 612,921 times
Which is why you should go into medicine. People get sick everywhere

Old 11-14-2007, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
Which is why you should go into medicine. People get sick everywhere
Not nearly as sick as the medical/pharmaceutical establishment would have you believe.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Ok, here we go again.

I’m not basing anything on naysayers and I’m certainly not going to base anything on yeahsayers, either. I’m basing my view and concern on the facts as I see them and, trust me, I’m quite seasoned in this job hunting arena. I’ve been in it for 41 years in many different US cities, ranging from Albany, NY to San Francisco.

Boise IS very different from the San Francisco or Seattle areas because, if for no other reason, it is so much smaller. There simply isn’t the foundation of corporate offices that there is here to support a large number of accounting clerk type positions. I work here at the $19-20/hr level and there is an abundance of those jobs available. In Boise those same jobs pay somewhere around $11.00 and they are few and far between, relatively speaking. Yes, I have seen some Boise ads for degreed Accountants and CPAs, but my resume falls short of those qualifications and those, too, are few and far between compared to here.

It is not a Boise issue, it is a small metro vs. large metro issue. I share your concern about our nation’s future as more and more jobs are outsourced, but the fact remains that it is still generally easier to find work in a large metro with a good economy than in a much smaller one.

With all due respect, Accountemps is in the business – every day – and I give more credence to their staffing manager who says Boise business has gotten tough for them with the housing market crash than I do to forum posts that tell me not to listen to naysayers.

The fact is that, if things were as rosy as you are trying to convey and there really was high market demand, we would see more jobs posted on the job boards than we do.

Again, I was up there last week. Very nice area, but I saw lots of people working below their skill and polish level in retail and restaurant jobs. If those folks could do better they wouldn’t be in those jobs.

Well, here we go again then if you want,
You think I am too positive about this issue, I think you are too negative especially since you don't even live here to do a thorough search for jobs, instead it sounds like you are relying on your perception and a temp agency.
This comment of yours makes me smile:
but I saw lots of people working below their skill and polish level in retail and restaurant jobs. If those folks could do better they wouldn’t be in those jobs
What exactly do you mean? You can tell this by looking at somebody? Boise has a lot of attractive, happy, centered people Sure, some may be working jobs they are overqualified for because of certain instances, but this remark is kind of jugemental if you ask me.
And the housing market crash in Boise? It has been mentioned on this forum many times that the press exaggerates the issue, and it is obvious. For instance, the local paper will run a front page article about the end of the world because housing sales are not as strong as a few years ago. A week later that same paper ran an article about how Idaho and Boise's housing market is one of the best in the nation because we have not seen the fallout here like in other larger areas. The truth is that the housing market in Boise is not all that bad and if some people think doom and gloom because thier values fell a bit, then they need to educate themselves.
Boise is going to continue to grow and add jobs. Good luck though, I now it can be hard to find that perfect job in any city. I just searched a local job site and saw nearly 20 positions for accounting/clerical positions.
Also, Boise does have a foundation of large corporations, at one time this little city had one of the highest per capita number of large corps. on the New York Stock exhange. Boise has homegrown many large national and world wide companies. Kind of impressive for such a small city.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:28 AM

306 posts, read 1,244,603 times
Default sorry to repeat myself ...

I agree with both sides. As I said in a previous post, I REALLY believe that constant DAILY searches are the key.
One must be very, very persistent. I checked city, county, job boards, message boards, newpapers daily - actually 5-6 times a day - for over 17 months before we finally found the job that fit my husband. Is that obsessive? Yes, I would say so ... but I was bound and determined to help him find a job here. Since he was working, he did not have the freedom I did to spend so much time on the computer, writing letters and stuff. Ironically, HE is the one that ultimately found his current job (even though I was the one constantly lighting the fire under his butt )

Yes, he took a paycut. He was making $21.38 hr in AZ. His current job started at only $18.60hr with a raise up to $19.50 after 6 months. We won't get rich anytime soon on that salary, but its certainly better than $11 hr. And for the record he is an educator ... not in the with a school, the tech industry or any other fancy position.
He's a regular joe with a good personality and great public speaking skills. In my humble opinion, getting a good job in Boise is all about persistence.

Employment agencies suck (in my opinion only) - They NEVER had anything worth a darn. We had much better luck researching companies directly ... making calls, getting names, sending letters - even if they were NOT hiring - networking with employers who turned us down ... asking for suggestions from locals on the phone.
The only thing employment agencies ever showed us were low income, entry level junk jobs ... agian thats just my opinion. Unless, you are a very HIGH end executive with multiple degrees and experience, I personally think head hunters are a waste of time.

When I was an actress (way back when) I loved getting NO's at an audition. To me that was one more NO out of the way meaning I was getting closer to YES. My reasoning was based on the fact that I usually had to go through 1000 NO's before a film company finally said ... YES!

Last edited by AlleyTD; 11-14-2007 at 09:38 AM..

Old 11-14-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Oh, brother....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
This comment of yours makes me smile:
but I saw lots of people working below their skill and polish level in retail and restaurant jobs. If those folks could do better they wouldn’t be in those jobs
What exactly do you mean? You can tell this by looking at somebody? Boise has a lot of attractive, happy, centered people Sure, some may be working jobs they are overqualified for because of certain instances, but this remark is kind of jugemental if you ask me.
Kind of judgemental? You're a riot, Syringaloid. Are you serious? Yes, now that I know of your penchant for arguing for arguing's sake, you probably are. I think most here know that I was being complimentary of the people referred to.

What I stated basically boils down to the FACT that it is generally much easier to find a job make good wages in a large metro area than it is in a small one like Boise. If you want to argue with that, go do it with someone else, because your credibility with me has dropped below the point at which I will waste another minute responding.

Have a nice life. Yours has obviously been very sheltered and you have a lot to learn.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Kind of judgemental? You're a riot, Syringaloid. Are you serious? Yes, now that I know of your penchant for arguing for arguing's sake, you probably are. I think most here know that I was being complimentary of the people referred to.

What I stated basically boils down to the FACT that it is generally much easier to find a job make good wages in a large metro area than it is in a small one like Boise. If you want to argue with that, go do it with someone else, because your credibility with me has dropped below the point at which I will waste another minute responding.

Have a nice life. Yours has obviously been very sheltered and you have a lot to learn.

Good times crownvic.

As you said,

You just summed up what should be directed towards yourself. Sorry, I found your comment about some local people humorous and yes, judgemental, I was just expressing my opinion as you were yours. It was not meant as an attack towards you, that is why I inserted a smiley face. Chill. I could be as judemental as you were towards me and state that your credibility has fallen to the depths of utter hell, but I won't.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:41 PM

14 posts, read 100,736 times
Idaho boasts one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country.... but the average rate of pay in Idaho IS the minimum wage. Idaho is behind the times when compared to just about every other state in the country. But Idaho is happy right where it is. God forbid if something were to grow in this state besides potatoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area