Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 05:47 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times

Advertisements

While on the topic of Boise area schools will have to add them to the list of why we moved. Our family found them to be okay, but not too challenging for our kids. When we moved back to Arizona we re-enrolled them in the school that they had been going to and they really struggled for the first 6 months to get caught up to their classmates. When they attended the school before they were in the upper end of their class. Plus we found the administrators at the Meridian School District to be bullies. Took my kids out for a week for a family reunion once. Despite having straight A's and willing to work on assignments while they were gone they threatened to fail our kids for the semester. After much grumbling they admitted that the school is funded by how many kids are filling the seats every day, so if our kids were not there they lose a little bit of money.

The positives of Boise outweigh the negatives and I still tell everyone that Boise is on the short list of cities for my retirement in 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 05:46 PM

51 posts, read 86,044 times
Definitely not your fault, I accept my share of the blame . I was very disappointed and discouraged to see where it was going before my post, and half-expected it to be closed before then.

Back on track: Being from the lush upper Midwest (at least in mid-summer ) the biggest thing for me would be getting used to the brown, once out of the City proper. Still think I could deal with it though, considering all the other things I loved.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:21 PM

861 posts, read 1,062,736 times
I didn't think the conversation got out of hand, considering the subject. I certainly have the impression a large contingent of Treasure Valley residents are conservative, and want the valley to remain as it is. But, OK.
The only thing I'm concerned with are the winter inversions. Are there particular areas less affected? Which areas are hit the hardest, or most often? Thanks.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:01 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
I didn't think the conversation got out of hand, considering the subject. I certainly have the impression a large contingent of Treasure Valley residents are conservative, and want the valley to remain as it is. But, OK.
The only thing I'm concerned with are the winter inversions. Are there particular areas less affected? Which areas are hit the hardest, or most often? Thanks.
The inversions are pretty unpredictable - some years we don't have any and other winters, like this one, we'll get a very nasty one that sticks around for weeks. It sucks, but if you ski, you can at least get out of it for a few hours a week. I'm from the PNW, so I'm used to the gray and find Boise's winters to be pretty nice, but the inversions start to get pretty gross if they stick around for more than a few days. It also helps to plan a winter vacation in Jan or Feb to somewhere warm to recharge. Just my opinion.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:27 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
It's a valid thread. Let's just keep it on topic.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:52 AM

61 posts, read 164,067 times
My family and I are moving to the area by the end of June from San Diego and people think I'm crazy. I've spoken to many people on the many plane trips I've taken who have been from San Diego or the So Cal region that have moved to Boise and all of them with the exception of one person say they would not ever move back. The quality of life in Boise is just better for them and their families. I think the people from around here say the weather, the beach and all the things to do is why they stay in San Diego. Hell, I was born and raised here too, but it's not the same, million person, small town laid back feeling place it once was. Now with 3 million people, insane gas prices, traffic, taxes and cost of living in general, I just can't see why someone would want to stay here. I've heard some people from the Boise area "long for the warmth of the beach and a more tropical setting". It's called a vacation, you can always visit with the extra $$ you'll save living in a more affordable area of the world. I think you' appreciate those vacations more when your there, when you don't live in a tropical region in the first place.

Also, regarding the "brownish" tinge to things, most people don't know that the Treasure Valley area is classified as a "desert". Yes, it's a bit brown when you go away from the city, but really no more than a place like San Diego. In fact, San Diego has less in the way of "greenery" than does the Treasure Valley. It's all palm trees and concrete out here. Urban sprawl has taken over with houses built so close together, you can shake your neighbors hand in the morning.

I can go on and on, but I am willing to sacrifice the beach and mild climate for nicer people, less traffic and overall better way of life.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:25 PM

86 posts, read 233,093 times
+1

Tracey, it looks like we might beat you there. We hope to be out of here in April/May.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:32 AM

52 posts, read 128,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTrace View Post
My family and I are moving to the area by the end of June from San Diego and people think I'm crazy. I've spoken to many people on the many plane trips I've taken who have been from San Diego or the So Cal region that have moved to Boise and all of them with the exception of one person say they would not ever move back. The quality of life in Boise is just better for them and their families. I think the people from around here say the weather, the beach and all the things to do is why they stay in San Diego. Hell, I was born and raised here too, but it's not the same, million person, small town laid back feeling place it once was. Now with 3 million people, insane gas prices, traffic, taxes and cost of living in general, I just can't see why someone would want to stay here. I've heard some people from the Boise area "long for the warmth of the beach and a more tropical setting". It's called a vacation, you can always visit with the extra $$ you'll save living in a more affordable area of the world. I think you' appreciate those vacations more when your there, when you don't live in a tropical region in the first place.

Also, regarding the "brownish" tinge to things, most people don't know that the Treasure Valley area is classified as a "desert". Yes, it's a bit brown when you go away from the city, but really no more than a place like San Diego. In fact, San Diego has less in the way of "greenery" than does the Treasure Valley. It's all palm trees and concrete out here. Urban sprawl has taken over with houses built so close together, you can shake your neighbors hand in the morning.

I can go on and on, but I am willing to sacrifice the beach and mild climate for nicer people, less traffic and overall better way of life.
I see a big difference in perception of the areas depending on one factor among others; if you are single or have a family. I notice a lot of people from Cali moving to Boise, but pretty much all of them are already family settled and just looking for a quieter place. I am trying to gauge the singles potential for the area. A lot of people move to Boise to settle down with their partners they met elsewhere from how it reads. My friends who introduced me to Boise did this as well. I am want to figure the singles scene between Boise and San Diego. SD has more variety and people (larger pool to work with), Boise more community oriented (easier to meet people). It's something married/partnered people don't have to factor in, but other people do.

Last edited by Cypher4; 04-25-2013 at 02:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: