U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-25-2010, 12:01 PM
pll

926 posts, read 1,355,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclingfan View Post
This is a general observation not directed at anyone in particular: It's been said many times here that if you long so badly for the things you left behind, then you ought to return to that HELL HOLE called Southern California! Pleeeese respect and honor what the majority of Idahoan's desire (and you all know what that is!!!). Peace!
What a horrible thing to say..Also, I have to believe that native Idahoans are interested in healthy lifestyes and good nutrition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 01:31 PM

674 posts, read 714,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravynnelyn View Post
Some of you posters are so misinformed!!! Trader Joe's is a wonderful store..it is NOT a fast food store and it is better than a co-op or Whole Foods. I just moved to the Boise area from southern CA. Trader Joe's food has no hydrogenated fats or preservatives...most of it is organic. Their chickens are not pumped up with water. The prices are reasonable and not over-priced. People who are against this store do not know what they are talking about. It looks like a neighborhood store...the employees are friendly and very helpful. They have the best things too, like lemon pepper seasoning in a grinder bottle for just over $1. Their frozen mac and cheese is out of this world in flavor and it is natural. I hate any mac and cheese that is not homemade, but I love this one. I could go on and on...I will be driving to Bend, OR for my Trader Joe's fix. There is no way the Boise co-op compares with this store. If people in this area would give it a chance they would see that.
Uh huh.

People rationalize the existence of all of their favorite stores, which is why you see them all up here now. ALL of the same ticky tack box stores.

People want all of the creature comforts of Southern California, but with none of the traffic, congestion, and crime. So they bring all of the creature comforts with them, and guess what inevitably follows?

The logic is achingly simple; people just simply don't care. Me me me.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:46 PM

114 posts, read 150,895 times
quote:
...as I know you are not representative of the Idahoans I know who live here.

I realize nobody means harm by suggesting great businesses move to Boise. It is just the idea of dragging another out-of-state icon to "their" area that stirs so much debate (hint: "Californication"). Just adds to the animosity. My uneducated guess is most of the Idahoans you know are from here in California, and yes, my opinion of Ca. is that it is one "GIANT FAILED SOCIAL EXPERIMENT"....Shame on the liberals in charge of the failed experiment!! At one time it was a great place, and the thought of that statement applying to Boise is what many Idahoans I've heard from fear the most. No shame here....

Old 10-27-2010, 02:26 PM

64 posts, read 82,873 times
All I know...is my son hates anything green...EXCEPT TJ's Green Plant juice. I could get a different brand but TJ's is affordable & I'm a small business owner with two young children. $4 for 64 oz...or $8 for 32 oz....hmmmmm
So yeah, I think leaving your home state for a new start should mean embracing what they have to offer (co-op) but at the same time it's totally understandable that I mourn the fact that my 6 yr old will never ingest broccoli on his own without ol' TJ's help!

Since this fun turn in the economy I can no longer shop at Whole Foods - it's just too pricey. But TJ's, I'm easily buying organic or at the very least natural products for a fraction of the price.
Mama does what she has to to get healthy food on the table...AND at a good price.
BTW....one reason for a move to Idaho is to garden my OWN stuff. I will freeze, can, whatever. If I have good soil & a sun not quite as hot as the one I have now, I know I have a fighting chance.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:07 PM

24 posts, read 21,840 times
Ugh! WinCo does not compare, even a tiny bit to Trader Joe's!! Trader Joe's is unique and anyone who says they do not miss it never shopped there in the first place!

Old 10-29-2010, 11:15 PM

Cyclingfan, you obviously seem to forget that many of the people in California are FROM other states...I was there for 12 years after a move from the midwest and I certainly do not have the same opinion of CA that you mistakenly have. Sure, there are things wrong, but it is a beautiful state with hard-working people who are trying to raise their families just like families in any other state of this great country! Trader Joe's is in many states of this country, all the way to New York and is even in Minnesota, Iowa, and Missouri. It is not just a California thing and has not been for a long time. It is a great store, with the friendliest, most helpful staff I have ever came across, and the products are terrific for a great, affordable prices. It is not like a chain store and does not look like a chain store. The Boise Coop in no way is as good as TJ's and whoever is blocking Trader Joe's from coming to Idaho is nothing but a fool...oh, excuse me...make that a BUNCH of fools!

Old 10-30-2010, 01:18 AM

114 posts, read 150,895 times
I have TJ's 8 miles from my house and love it also....you are missing the point. It is my opinion that transplants, especially from Ca. need to sacrifice a bit in order to extend a hand to the locals that have lost a lot of there serenity because we are running from the crime, traffic, vanity, and high cost of living to name a few. If your opinion (notice I left off mistaken) of Ca. is so great why the heck are/did you move then??? I bet it is because the good out weighs the bad 5:1 or better. Everything but the weather seems bastardized here. No TJ's, in-n-out, etc. are not going to bring the crime, blight, homelessness, liberal nut cases, ninth circuit court, Nancy Pelozi wanna-be's, illegal alien invasion, gangsters everywhere (that seemingly normal ca. kids emulate in dress, action, music choices...), fake every body part mentionable, keep up with the jones', stay arms distance, don't make eye contact, nearly 1/2 the twisted population trying to "legalize" drugs, no moral absolutes, anything goes (except allowing the Name above all names...JESUS...to be brought into anything, smog filled, traffic jammed, in a hurry to go nowhere, wefare leeching, extra fees for everything, protest and spend public funds to save everything but human babies, gotta buy more/bigger/better/faster, keep firearms from everyone but the criminals, unsupervised parolee infested.............WOW, I just realized why we are not welcome in many of their eyes! They do not want to be part of a GIANT FAILED SOCAL EXPERIMENT that liberal Californians will inevitable bring via protest, litigation, and strength in numbers

Old 10-31-2010, 02:47 AM

Quote:
quote:
...as I know you are not representative of the Idahoans I know who live here.

I realize nobody means harm by suggesting great businesses move to Boise. It is just the idea of dragging another out-of-state icon to "their" area that stirs so much debate (hint: "Californication"). Just adds to the animosity. My uneducated guess is most of the Idahoans you know are from here in California, and yes, my opinion of Ca. is that it is one "GIANT FAILED SOCIAL EXPERIMENT"....Shame on the liberals in charge of the failed experiment!! At one time it was a great place, and the thought of that statement applying to Boise is what many Idahoans I've heard from fear the most. No shame here....

Sorry to burst your bubble, Cyclingfan, but your guess is uneducated...most of the Idahoans I know are NOT from California, and I have relatives who have been here for years...a few born here. Trader Joes has NOTHING to do with ANYTHING that is going on politically in California. You can't possibly have ever been to a Trader Joe's...it would fit right in with everything that is right about Idaho. It is not a box store as some other poster suggested. It is exactly what I said it is...a smaller store that looks like a neighborhood store...laid back and friendly and set up like a market, not so much like a store. I grew up in the midwest and never felt at home in California the entire 12 years I lived there, but I still think there are a lot of good things about that state. It is not the general populations fault that CA is so liberal. I agree with you...shame on the liberals in charge. But for people in Idaho to be against Trader Joe's just because it formulated in California is nothing short of ridiculous.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:55 AM

Cyclingfan, my apology, since you live so close to a Trader Joe's, you have been there. I still repeat, Trader Joe's would fit right in with the lifestyle of Idaho. I realize I am sounding critical, but I can't help it in my defense of such a wonderful store as Trader Joe's. I certainly do not have strong feelings about any other business. I also happen to love El Polo Loco's chicken, but it doesn't bother me that their restaurant is not in Idaho. I do not care that In-N-Out is not here either (or if it is, I have not seen it and wouldn't go there even if it was). I am passionate about Trader Joe's because they have excellent products...no hydrogenated fats, no preservatives, much of it organic, and the prices are very reasonable...not over-priced like Whole Foods or the Boise Co-Op.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:03 AM

921 posts, read 1,292,948 times
Quote:
I have TJ's 8 miles from my house and love it also....you are missing the point. It is my opinion that transplants, especially from Ca. need to sacrifice a bit in order to extend a hand to the locals that have lost a lot of there serenity because we are running from the crime, traffic, vanity, and high cost of living to name a few. If your opinion (notice I left off mistaken) of Ca. is so great why the heck are/did you move then??? I bet it is because the good out weighs the bad 5:1 or better. Everything but the weather seems bastardized here. No TJ's, in-n-out, etc. are not going to bring the crime, blight, homelessness, liberal nut cases, ninth circuit court, Nancy Pelozi wanna-be's, illegal alien invasion, gangsters everywhere (that seemingly normal ca. kids emulate in dress, action, music choices...), fake every body part mentionable, keep up with the jones', stay arms distance, don't make eye contact, nearly 1/2 the twisted population trying to "legalize" drugs, no moral absolutes, anything goes (except allowing the Name above all names...JESUS...to be brought into anything, smog filled, traffic jammed, in a hurry to go nowhere, wefare leeching, extra fees for everything, protest and spend public funds to save everything but human babies, gotta buy more/bigger/better/faster, keep firearms from everyone but the criminals, unsupervised parolee infested.............WOW, I just realized why we are not welcome in many of their eyes! They do not want to be part of a GIANT FAILED SOCAL EXPERIMENT that liberal Californians will inevitable bring via protest, litigation, and strength in numbers
You're mistaken if you don't think much of this stuff is in Boise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area