Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2013, 02:33 PM

222 posts, read 859,655 times

Advertisements

We've been getting letters from United Water offering peace of mind
leakguard coverage from HomeServe. It's protection for underground
water service line which could fail without warning and cost us tons
of money. Wife wants it while I think it's a scam. Thought it best to
ask here whether it's good to have or not to bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 05:29 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,379,915 times
As far as I understand it, it is just another form of insurance. Sure, the line COULD fail, and if it does, you will end up owing a good chunk of change. Likely, it never will during the time you own the home. My family owns a bunch of rental properties around Boise/Meridian and we haven't purchased the Leakguard protection on any of them. The odds of a major problem are fairly low. Plus, like with any other insurance, if you do have a problem, they will insist that it isn't covered under the program, and odds are you'll end up paying for it anyway. Not worth it in my opinion.

On the other hand, if you live paycheck to paycheck, and couldn't afford to keep the house if you had a $10k repair to do, it might be worth it to pay for the insurance just in case, if the cost is reasonable.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:40 PM

278 posts, read 902,317 times
I agree with Lacerta. If you have a newer house, it seems pretty unlikely you would need it. An older house might warrant consideration, especially if other houses in the area are having problems with older pipes.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:26 AM

222 posts, read 859,655 times
Well, our house was built in 1995 and is located near E. Amity Rd and Federal Way
in Southeast Boise. We definitely do not want another bill although paying $4-7/mo
is much more palatable than getting a repair bill of $1,000 to $3,000 or so. This is
a difficult decision to make.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:05 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,299,941 times
This thread piqued my curiousity since we are considering a move to Boise. I checked out the website for this insurance and it specificaly mentions the "service line". Now, I think that in most any state the utility company is responsible for the "service line" , meaning the service supplied up to the house. I would advise that you check with your utility(s) provider(s) to confirm. If they are selling insurance for "in" the home and you feel a need, that is your call.

Many insurers depend on the ignorance of the public to sell a bill of goods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: