Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 10:40 AM

954 posts, read 1,549,191 times

Advertisements

In Boise, Idaho, where the nearest big airport is a five-hour drive south in Salt Lake City, airlines cut 40% of the flights over the study period, including nonstop service to Atlanta. Boise also has fewer airlines flying to Seattle, Los Angeles and Portland, Ore., helping to lift the average inflation-adjusted fare there by 18% since 2007.
Leaner Airlines Mean Fewer Routes, Study Shows - WSJ.com
I could see a substantial difference in the number of flights and the price of fares for those remaining flights in and out of Boise in recent years, and these stats definitely confirmed the impression I got from my own travels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 11:16 AM

719 posts, read 1,566,422 times
Part of this is related to consolidation in the industry - there are simply fewer airlines these days.

The only glaring holes I see are DFW and ATL. A daily nonstop to those two would fill out BOI's service area nicely and I don't think the airlines would have trouble filing those flights.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:39 PM

674 posts, read 1,458,588 times
Yeah, I suppose I don't understand the model either... fewer flights + higher fares somehow equals more business???

I do know that flights to LA, Portland and Seattle have increased quite a bit... I used to be able to do roundtrips to LA for under $200, and to PDX/SEA for between $120-$150. It's hard to find LA for under $250 and PDX/SEA for under $175-$200 now.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:46 PM

879 posts, read 2,857,417 times
It doesn't equal more business, but equals better profits. Flying to Boise has become costly now. It is pretty much the same cost for one person to drive to Boise in an economical car plus hotel room than to fly from LA. Save any sales.

This is happening to quite a few small and mid-size airports. What is unique to Boise is that there are no other nearby larger airports even with a couple hours drive.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:02 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
They were talking about this on the radio this morning too, that over the last x years (I didn't catch the time frame), Boise has lost 2 of its airlines (from 8 to 6) and something around a dozen nonstop destinations. Fairly significant.

I don't fly that often, but when I have, I've considered driving to Salt Lake and flying from there to save money. Plus, by the time you fly in the wrong direction for a while and then have a layover, then fly back toward where you really want to go, you could just about have driven to Salt Lake.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
They were talking about this on the radio this morning too, that over the last x years (I didn't catch the time frame), Boise has lost 2 of its airlines (from 8 to 6) and something around a dozen nonstop destinations. Fairly significant.
Boise has lost more than 2 of it's airlines. For example I can remember when Continental offered nonstop service between Boise and Houston, but Continental dosen't exist anymore because they were acquired by United. And Northwest was acquired by Delta, and now US Airways is in the process of being absorbed by American. But then we've all lost those airlines to, it's just that certain markets like Boise have felt the effects of the airline industry consolidation more than most other citys. But it could be worse, since some cities
have lost their commercial airline service altogether in recent years.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:57 PM

WASHINGTON - Boise lost almost 40 percent of its departures between 2007 and 2012, according to a study by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Boise Airport Director Rebecca Hupp said her own numbers present a less gloomy picture: a roughly 30 percent decline in flights and seats since 2007.

The declines nationwide were mainly the result of higher fuel prices, industry consolidation and a new focus on profitability over market share, experts said. And though cities of all sizes consider their airports engines of economic growth, many will find it hard to keep the service they have, much less attract new airlines.

Read more here: Airline profits fuel departures from smaller airports like Boise | Yahoo Feeds | Idahostatesman.com
So here's another story in the Statesman like the WSJ article, perhaps inspired (won't say reproduced) by the
Journal article.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:54 AM

12 posts, read 19,342 times
Any thoughts on if this problem will get better or worse? We are relocating to Boise in the fall from Denver. I read something about a new grant to add a nonstop to the east coast (potentially Atlanta).

Old 12-10-2014, 09:35 PM

278 posts, read 906,003 times
It seems like the situation has leveled off somewhat. Service is being added/restored a little bit lately; United has added flights to Houston, Allegiant to Honolulu, and soon Delta to Atlanta. I don't expect it to get much better though, Boise just isn't big enough of a place to support a large number of flights with the tight margins the industry now operates under. Between Alaska, United, Delta, and Southwest you usually have decent (if not cheap) options for most places now.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:48 PM

156 posts, read 275,222 times
Speaking as a person from Atlanta, you really don't want to make it easy for those people down there to get to Boise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area