U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-14-2013, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 670 times
Default Moving from Alaska

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are planning on moving from Juneau, Alaska to either the Boise Idaho area or the Seattle Washington area within the next 2-5 years. I was hoping for some insight. As students with little money we lived in Sacramento, California for a year but did not like it (too much crime, not enough seasons, too much smog however we did like living outside of a big city). On our move this time, we will be in a completely different situation. We will both have work experience, me clerical with the government and him as a mechanic. We will have a small child so we'll need to live near good schools. We will also have a dog and as Alaskans we love outdoorsy activities. We own a house and we plan to rent it out when we move.

I guess here are my two questions:
1) which area would you recommend that has a full range of seasons, good schools, lots of outdoorsy activities and good jobs available for mechanics and clerical workers?

2) Alaska has a very high cost of living but we both make good money here. The economy was not hit so hard up here so it is not that difficult to find a job. I guess I'm worried about the shift from a high cost of living high income area to adjusting to an area with lower wages. Anybody go through and have some advice or insight? We may rent for a while but once we settle in with regular jobs we'll want to buy a house. We have a 4 bedroom ranch style house here for $265,000 which is normal here but most likely high anywhere else. Anybody know what a house like this may go for in Boise or outside of Seattle?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 10:10 PM

521 posts, read 598,685 times
Cost of living and housing will be much lower in Boise than Seattle. I'm thinking a 4 bedroom ranch style home will be more like $200,000-$250,000 here. I guess the main question I have is that if you've got good jobs and own a home there, why plan on moving in 2-5 years? Jobs will be the biggest issue for you both and it's pretty hard to say what that scene will look like that far into the future. As far as a great city with four seasons that is ideal for raising kids, it's really hard to beat Boise, Idaho.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area