U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 09:16 AM

20 posts, read 99,278 times

Advertisements

I never thought the sugar beet factory really even smelled THAT bad, and I really only notice it when I am fairly close to it (within a mile or so). There are days it is worse than usual, but never bad enough it bothered me.

What really stinks is the Paper Mills, etc in Pocatello... its bad enough I know a number of people who jokingly call the city 'Pocasmello'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 02:51 PM

594 posts, read 1,328,821 times
I had clients move to Boise from Nampa near Skyline Highschool (east of freeway) and asked them, after reading complaints of sugar beet factory smells all the way to Lake Lowell on this forum, if they ever smelled it there. As someone who grew up in the area and whose parents lived in Caldwell for years, I hadn't heard of the factory being an issue in those parts of Nampa, and certainly not Meridian. My clients said no, they never had issues with the smell in that part of Nampa, so it's a mystery to me. Maybe some people are just more tuned in to the smell?

Old 08-14-2013, 07:41 AM

35 posts, read 56,612 times
I've driven by it and smelled it before, other times I haven't. I think it's less of an issue than most people think, but then again, I don't live in the surrounding area, where you might actually smell it regularly.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:38 AM

1,955 posts, read 3,015,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticHolon View Post
I never thought the sugar beet factory really even smelled THAT bad, and I really only notice it when I am fairly close to it (within a mile or so). There are days it is worse than usual, but never bad enough it bothered me.

What really stinks is the Paper Mills, etc in Pocatello... its bad enough I know a number of people who jokingly call the city 'Pocasmello'.
Ain't that the truth. I grew up in the area around Tacoma, WA. There was a paper mill on the waterfront, and on a bad day the whole north side of the city smelled like rotten cabbage. Residents used to refer to the smell as the Tacoma Aroma.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:46 AM

1 posts, read 729 times
The beet factory smells horrible.usually mostly during inversions unless in nampa. It's bad

Old 01-03-2014, 08:25 AM

69 posts, read 113,848 times
On bad days it does stink and it is unpleasant but not Horrible. I live on the border of Meridian and Nampa and will close the windows on those bad odor days. However it does not stink all the time and I can live with the smell. I saved $$$ of dollars by being on the Nampa border than in the city of Meridian and I purchased a semi-custom home for $160,000 in a nice neighborhood. I am very happy where I am at and there are many conveniences living so close to all the shops along the freeway and CWI.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:09 AM

2,133 posts, read 1,803,350 times
I am glad this resurfaced,for I had forgotten about this thread. Back in October 2013 my wife and I made a trip to the Boise/Nampa/Meridian area and spent a few days looking things over, one thing I made a point of doing was getting within close proximity of the plant, we drove right beside it. I did not find it offensive, a bit unpleasent is more like it, and nothing at all like my reference to Mantica CA, in my OP. In truth, I think I could handle living with the odor on a regular basis if the I had the ideal house nearby.

So for any who harbor a concern and are considering a move, be sure to check it out up close and personal to form your own opinion, everyone has their own sensitivities.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:08 PM
CTC

665 posts, read 1,205,769 times
Default smell of money

My Grandparents farmed outside of Nampa, and when sugar prices were high they would grow sugar beets.
When us kids would complain about the smell from the plant they would say 'that's the smell of money" Some years they did very well growing sugar beets. I imagine that the jobs at the plant are good paying jobs as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area