Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2013, 08:35 PM

63 posts, read 113,522 times

Advertisements

From the internet research I have done, it seems there is at least one big farmer's market and plenty of fresh, local food vendors that attend. I would love opinions on experiences with the market and some good vendors. We try to eat local produce and grassfed beef when available. I think there is a Whole Foods in Boise, but what are other natural grocery stores?
Looking on the Idaho Statesman website, the YMCA is mentioned as a good gym. Do people regularly use the YMCA or are private gyms more widely preferred like they are here?
Besides hiking, biking, parks...what other activities do you do with your kids? Mine are 2 and 5.
What are some seasonal events/fairs to look forward to?

I mentioned in a previous thread I would ask a lot of questions. I will and I am! I appreciate everyone taking time to help me with what I hope will be our biggest, best and last move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 08:43 AM

719 posts, read 1,566,929 times
There are lots of farmers markets. The main downtown one had a split this year when most of the food vendors started a separate market (I think off Front somewhere). I'm not sure how many food vendors stayed with the older downtown market.

Kuna, Meridian, and I imagine Eagle also have markets. There are also random farmer's produce stands around the area, and a place on five mile and victory that has good local produce.

For beef, quite honestly I'd try to hook up with a rancher on Craigslist and just buy in bulk direct. There are lots of farmers in the rural treasure valley as well as a few more distant places like Weiser or Emmett that sell quarters, split halves or whole animals.

If you like spendy grocery stores, there's the Whole Foods you mentioned, the Co-Op in the north end, a Natural Grocer on Milwaukee, and a Trader Joes in the near future downtown off Capital. I think Rosauers (sp?) in Meridian at Eagle and McMillen also has a pretty big organic/natural selection.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:23 AM

623 posts, read 1,612,372 times
I have two teenagers and a two and a half year old so I have a history of raising kids here plus am right in the thick of it with the little one. There are a TON of activities for kids here, everything from parks and hiking and walks and free activities and adventures to schools and camps and arts and science and other programs/classes/camps/etc. A great resource for families is Boise Family Magazine. They have free copies of their publication around town plus a great website. They keep a calendar of family-friendly events around town plus they have an issue each year devoted to camps and one to schools/pre-schools. Their website might give you a good sense of stuff to do with kids. In the past week, we've been to the MK Nature Center, fountain on the Grove, local public swimming pool, and several parks. We are 10-15 minutes to so many activities--it's great!

The farmer's market downtown has dozens of great vendors. Try checking out Morning Owl Farm. BoiseMilk.com partners with local vendors for local meat and produce that is delivered to your house weekly plus dairy with organic, local options. They are great!

Fred Meyer, a huge regional grocery chain, also has a nice organic section in their stores. We do shop the Co-Op but for quick trips we are likely to hit Freddy's.

The YMCA is VERY popular and very kid friendly. The downtown Y is awesome with tons of classes and offerings, childcare for a very reasonable fee, affordable memberships, and the membership covers all walks of life from Boise's corporate who's who to lower income families on scholarship. It is an incredible organization in our area with top-notch facilities. The west Y is larger with a larger campus and amazing swimming facility. The downtown location has been added on to through the years and at first feels a bit like a maze, but after you get to know your way around you'll be very comfortable and appreciate the variety of spaces and offerings. For a family, I wouldn't join anywhere else.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:21 PM

63 posts, read 113,522 times
IdaD, thank you for the info on the markets and stores. I actually prefer less expensive stores but sometimes it can be hard to find natural/organics so I mentioned Whole Foods. I imagine Trader Joe's is getting some positive (and negative buzz) but that works for us!
benchfarn, great info! I'll have to pm you to pick your brain about fun things to do. Love your list. Sounds fantastic.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:21 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,456,103 times
I live on De Meyer (Cloverdale between Ustick and Chinden). Last Friday, I drove down Ustick and stopped at a farmer's market that advertised fresh north Idaho huckleberries. I can be seduced with fresh hucks. Got a pound. Didn't bring a cooler. They got me a bag of ice. I could have bought all manner of other fruits, vegetables, whatever.

The huck pancakes were delicious. So were the remaining berries dumped on ice cream.

I did not go near downtown to do this, not even close. It was closer than my mail place or my bank branch. To get fresh farm stuff, you don't have to seek out a granola chain or a big event. I've seen three of these in my limited travels involving McMillan, Ustick and Fairview. If real food is your passion, it's more accessible than you may realize.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:40 AM

133 posts, read 289,605 times
Farmers markets are popping up all over town. There're the old standbys, like Reggies on Milwaukee and Ustick and downtown, but recently there is a large one on Broadway and Federal, Five Mile and Fairview, and Cloverdale and Overland. I'm sure there are many more that I haven't seen, especially to the south and west. The one closest to my house, on Five Mile and Victory, has Huckleberries now, and occasionally has morel mushrooms. The have a $1.00 bin for day old veggies that I always attack- who cares if they're wrinkled if I chop and cook them anyway? I think this is a healthy trend for Boise as it puts more money in the pockets of local growers and also keeps the big grocers in constant competition for pricing and freshness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area