Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 12:13 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times

Advertisements

I'd bet if it's anything like Washington or Oregon, it all depends on attitude.

"Hi!!!!! We're from California!!! Where are the gelato places??? Any decent guac in this barbarian outpost??? Why is the HOA letting all these people live their lives the way they want to?? That damages my property values, therefore you have to stop or we'll sue!"

Probably not too popular.

"Howdy. Glad to be here. If you need to borrow my miter saw, just give me a yell. Can't wait to see the Sawtooths when they get snowy. Hell of a rainstorm last night--looks like I better do something about those downspouts, that or put a diving board in my basement."

Probably fit right in.

I lived in Seattle at the height of the California incursion and the hostility was palpably toxic. A favorite method of HR people was to quietly put the CA resumes in a different stack. Let them burn through the savings and the money they pocketed from selling their overpriced condo, find no work, and go back home. CA tags did not get to merge, rather often. I myself saw a couple of fairly blatant escapades that for me symbolized the whole attitude everyone so hated. Without going into detail, I admit that I scared a few people real bad. But that wasn't for having CA tags, but for behaviors. Wouldn't have liked them from a Washingtonian either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 12:24 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I lived in Seattle at the height of the California incursion and the hostility was palpably toxic. A favorite method of HR people was to quietly put the CA resumes in a different stack. Let them burn through the savings and the money they pocketed from selling their overpriced condo, find no work, and go back home. CA tags did not get to merge, rather often. I myself saw a couple of fairly blatant escapades that for me symbolized the whole attitude everyone so hated. Without going into detail, I admit that I scared a few people real bad. But that wasn't for having CA tags, but for behaviors. Wouldn't have liked them from a Washingtonian either.
Funny, I moved to the Olympic Peninsula from central CA a few years ago and never experienced anything at all negative from people (but friends who moved to Portland from CA 12 years ago did). Partly it's because there are many CA retirees here who moved here because it ISN'T like California. I don't understand people who move from anywhere to a new place and try to turn it into what they left. Why leave if you like things better the way they were where you came from?

Anyway, I'm planning my visit to Boise in a couple weeks and if at some point in the future I do relocate there, I can honestly say I came from Washington.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:53 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

Idaho has never been as hostile to Californians as some of our neighboring states. Montana does not hold love for Californians. Much of their dislike came from rich Californians moving to Montana and buying up prime ranch land for trophy ranches and over-sized lodges, and as a result, driving up property costs and taxes. A lot of these Californians have also left for good due to the Great Recession, after a huge trophy cabin became a cost that was harder to bear, but their leaving didn't change Montanan's attitudes much.

Idaho just never cared all that much. And Californians didn't congregate among their own as much as in Montana, except for a few places like Sun Valley and Coeur d'Alene. C d'A in particular attracted a lot of retired law enforcement officers for the same reason as 'Bail To Boise'. A group of real estate investors bought up big parcels of land around the lake, and around other lakes in the region and advertised them heavily in California police news letters and magazines. This was another instance of congregating among their own, and still continues up there.
Mike,
Thanks for a(nother) great analysis! I've been trying to figure out/explain to others why there is such a difference between the attitudes toward Califonians in Idaho and Montana--you can even tell from the difference between Q&As in the forum threads (although forum posts are of course not representative of an entire state).

Old 09-15-2013, 02:46 PM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Funny, I moved to the Olympic Peninsula from central CA a few years ago and never experienced anything at all negative from people (but friends who moved to Portland from CA 12 years ago did). Partly it's because there are many CA retirees here who moved here because it ISN'T like California. I don't understand people who move from anywhere to a new place and try to turn it into what they left. Why leave if you like things better the way they were where you came from?

Anyway, I'm planning my visit to Boise in a couple weeks and if at some point in the future I do relocate there, I can honestly say I came from Washington.
Just a theory, but I wonder if some of it is just habit and not experiencing a different way of life.

For instance, my second husband is from England and when I spent a little time over there before we were married, I was surprised at my own personal "ice" issues!
We'd go to a restaurant and I'd order a diet cola and there wouldn't be any ice in it. I politely asked for some ice, and I'd get a tall glass with about 2 or 3 small cubes in it. I had to explain I needed a glass full of ice cubes! They always accommodated, but I knew they thought I was odd.
Then once when we went to a movie theater and again the cola came with no ice. I asked for some ice and the young man behind said, he was sorry but he didn't have any. I asked if the ice machine was broken, and he just said no, they didn't have ice at all! LOL! I was amazed!!!!
And okay, here's my confession... I actually said, not angrily, but more just completely surprised, but loudly... "What? How can you NOT have ICE???" He was so sweet and polite and just shrugged and said, "Well, it's a cold country". I looked at my husband and he was just standing there smirking, eating popcorn enjoying the entertainment! I started laughing and told the guy I was soooo sorry, I'm from California, I'm addicted to ice! Again, he was so nice, and I was humbled.

Not that I'm that well traveled, but after that, when we had the opportunity to go to Paris (I think by that time the "Freedom Fries" thing had toned down) I looked up tips for Americans to take note when travelling to Paris. The main thing I took from that was "don't be loud and obnoxious" when out and about. I took note and we got along fine.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded post, but I think people would be wise to do their homework about cultural differences even from state to state as well as looking into cost of living and crime rates.
And I'm sure if someone really is clueless about living in snow or country life, but willing to learn, if they just let their neighbors know they might need a little help in adjusting, they would be sending a positive message that they mean to fit in.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:57 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
I never understood that.

"Honey, too many people have moved here and now it sucks. Too expensive and crowded. Let's move somewhere else."

I mean....
It happens for a lot of reasons.

Some of the desire comes from deep frustration with the pace of urban living and the long and tightly packed commutes of surburban living.
I knew a former Texan machinist who moved to Montana about 20 years ago. He took a huge pay cut to take a job there, and had done work for several NASA programs. He moved after he had a bout of road rage on his commute home, and left Texas for good in only 2 weeks.

For many, the popularity of extreme outdoor sports is a draw. These folks tend to move in packs to some remote little town that hits their radar due to it's proximity to mountains, vertical ski slopes, whitewater, or whatever, and when it becomes too crowed, move on.

Several outdoor magazines publish yearly "Best Places For (whatever)", and for some communities, getting on the list is the kiss of death. The town's property values go through the roof, their schools become overcrowded, and the ultilities are overloaded. By the time all that is upgraded at great expense, the pioneers have moved on, looking for the next wild place.

Lots of people in big cities dream of owning a hobby farm with lots of expanse, country quiet, and privacy. Most have no idea of how much effort and money it takes to operate a farm, most don't know how much land is needed to grow even a few livestock, and most aren't prepared for the isolation of country life.

Idaho land is relatively cheap in many places, but farm equipment isn't. The amount of work and planning is never considered. Our wages are also low.
As a result, many of these places become half-done weed fields, with clapped together outbuildings. Dad has to work in town, and Mom stays home and schools the kids. Mom lacks the skills and time to do a lot of the work, and Dad doesn't have the time, either. Mom starts feeling house bound and misses her old girlfriends, and Dad misses his Friday night drinking buddies who get together after work. The fantasy evaporates and they sell out.
Or just leave.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:38 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,260 times
I get all that. I just fail to see the rationale in "hey, too many people live here, which creates all these problems... so lets move somewhere else, which creates the same situations we were leaving in the first place."

If people are oblivious to that, then rest assured they're oblivious to the cultural differences and they'll complain about how place B is not like place A. Case in point: all the people who complained that Boise didn't have Whole Foods and Trader Joes. "Oh, but they're so wonderful!" Yeah, the more big box chain stores we have the better!

Old 09-16-2013, 01:31 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
I have never heard anything negative about Californians here in Boise, in conversation or out amongst the public. I work with several Cali transplants to Boise and have asked them if they have experienced any negativity because they are from there and they all have said they have not. My boss is from San Jose, she has not experienced anything negative either. About the only place I have seen this topic brought up is at this forum. There are so many people in the Boise area who moved here from out of state or country that I really don't think most people give a hoot where a person who moved here is from as long as that person does not lament for where and what they left behind. Just settle in and enjoy. The only people who dwell on this and turn it into something negative are the nimby's/growth hater types. Even with all of the growth Boise has experienced the past few decades, this city and metro has a loooooong ways to go before it is overcrowded and burnt out like many larger cities.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 09-16-2013 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: added "who" :)

Old 09-17-2013, 10:36 AM

35 posts, read 66,371 times
Well to be fair, people will always be more honest and vocal on an the anonymous internet, than they will ever be in real life.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:20 PM

674 posts, read 1,458,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by percydaman View Post
Well to be fair, people will always be more honest and vocal on an the anonymous internet, than they will ever be in real life.
Add to the fact that, on this forum, there are always threads discussing this very issue. It's one of the first questions people ask here. To say it doesn't happen in the real world and/or that it only comes up in this forum is a bit disingenuous - if it weren't a real world problem why would people be discussing it here?

Syringa is correct in saying most people don't care and many are transplants themselves... and most likely no one will ever say anything directly to your face. But you will experience it in many off-handed ways... people will complain about to you, not knowing you're from California. In rage or anger people blame Californians; they are the number scapegoat here in Idaho for any issue whatsoever. Again, fair or not.

So if you have thick skin and a sense of humor, you'll be fine. You may even join the chorus. If you're sensitive to your background and/or proud of it, you may feel uncomfortable here.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:30 PM

26 posts, read 56,167 times
Everyone comes from somewhere.

If you are looking for something different than what you left behind great, don't bring the baggage and problems with you and complain about how much different things were in XX. If you miss it so much or like what it had to offer, why did you leave XX in the first place?

Too many people leave their state, arrive in the new state and try to turn it into their old state, soon the entire country will be Kalifornicated.

We're leaving Kommiefornia and yes headed to Idaho, we believe Idaho is what California used to be when we were younger, lower cost of living, slower pace, clean air, fewer people, less regulation and government intrusion, freedom to live your life as you deem best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area