Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 07:46 PM

28 posts, read 79,900 times

Advertisements

Lowman got washed out in a mudslide when I was a teen. Idaho City is popular, there are a lot of camping spots between Stanley and Idaho City that are nice. Snake River is popular for rapids and camping. Boise River is a scream to tube down on a hot day if you don't go to the reservoir and do some waterskiing either in Nampa or Boise. If you have the cash you can hot air balloon or skydive. Pine and Featherville area is old mining towns- be careful some are abandoned and the mines could be dangerous. All of Idaho is great to play in. Lewiston is a favorite cool off area, and so is McCall. Drive any direction out of Boise for 45 min past city limits and you will be somewhere. Farm country, mountains, even the desert has natural water pools and abundant reptile life. Go up to Bogus Basin in the summer- very pretty. The Boise River has beautiful parks all the way up and down with a Greenbelt that you can walk, skate, ride bikes etc. It has a separate area for walking than bike riding so no one has issues.

Last edited by workingonit; 10-01-2013 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: Greenbelt and parks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 07:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
As someone who lives in a humid environment, I'll second that humidity makes a big difference. A couple nights ago it was so humid out you could see your breath at 65 degrees. I'd have rather it had been 90 degrees and 25% humidity, because even at 65 degrees with that much humidity you just can't shake that sweaty sticky feeling.

I always thought the "it's a dry heat" line was BS until we had a very rare weather event for Chicago where it hit 97 degrees in May with 23% humidity. Normally when we get that kind of heat it happens in July or August and is accompanied by 60 to 70% humidity, and it's absolutely unbearable. But on that day I could not believe how comfortable it was. That's the day I saw the light.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:02 PM

284 posts, read 611,544 times
I just tell ya, I was used to a very high humidity back in Alabama and while it makes it miserable in the summer time 100 degrees whether dry or humid is still miserable.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:06 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Maybe I'd have to experience it several days/weeks in a row, but the day it hit 97 with very low humidity around here it felt quite comfortable, certainly more so than if it were 85 with the standard 70% humidity.

I think I'd commit suicide before living in Alabama. Chicago summers are about my limit.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:07 AM

284 posts, read 611,544 times
Drover, I guess it's all in what you get used to. I grew up in Alabama and lived there for most of my adult life. In the summer you just want to make sure you have a great AC and limit outdoor activity from about 10am until 8pm. I had to make sure and get my grass cut before 9am or I'd be a human sweat ball. I will say that in the winter the drier air doesn't seem to be as cold as the humid air. 20 degrees in Boise doesn't feel near as cold to me as does 20 degrees in Tuscaloosa.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to have no humidity with the heat but with 100 degrees it's miserable no matter what. With the dry air it does seem that sun is just burning a hole in your skin. LOL, I suppose the sweat keeps it from feeling that way with the high humidity.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:57 PM

424 posts, read 579,751 times
We left Aloha Or in 1997,sold the house and moved into a 32' motorhome until upgrading to a 40' pusher. We knew that the "full-timer" lifestyle was not going to be a life long commitment but knew we didn't want to spend the rest of our life in Oregon(at least west of the Blues). We traveled throughout the country in 9 years looking for a place to call home. We spent the winters in AZ(Yuma area) and southwest TX (Mission area). Now AZ was nice and we loved the desert, in the winter. Didn't consider it as a final stop though. We loved the area around San Antonio but wasn't too keen on the year round weather. Going farther north and east, let's just say we do not like violent storms nor humidity. Montana, and Wyoming were beautiful but the winters can be very very harsh (too old to shovel a lot of snow). I had lived in Idaho (mostly the Mountain Home area) from around 1957 to 1961 (joined the Navy) and in 1981 landed in Aloha. Since my brother still lived in Idaho (Nampa area) we stayed at his place (he had full hook-ups for us) 2 or 3 times. So, in the winter of 2006 we made the decision that our traveling days were over and had decided that Idaho was going to be the final stop. We purchased an acre of land south of Nampa and put a home on it and we have not regretted it since. Yes, it can get hot in the summer, but it doesn't last long and the humidity is low. I have had to shovel snow about once or twice on the average every winter but nothing really hard. when I lived here they used to call the Treasury Valley the Banana Belt, don't think that term is used anymore though. So, to sum it all up, you can not go wrong in Idaho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area