Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 03:15 PM

3,816 posts, read 9,406,890 times

Advertisements

Just an observation from living around the country, Boise and Pennsylvania were the two states where having insider connections was about the only way to get a good job. Before I moved away I spent 4-5 months fruitlessly looking for work and used every connection I had to no avail. Got maybe 4-5 interviews and that was it and I was networking with some people with great connections. Moved to Arizona and was in a new job that paid more and had benefits within three weeks. That job fell through a year later and again within three weeks had a new position.

If you can find a good job Idaho is a great place to live. Really miss the area and am figuring out how to get back up there within the next decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,509 times
Boise is horrible in terms of jobs. If you want to work for a call center then live here! I have had two uncles and my own father who have had to literally look or work out of state. It seems like everyone leaves to work in North Dakota. As for me, I have a bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice and a squeaky clean background. I am being offered the same jobs that high school graduates are qualified for. I am getting the hell out of here! Great clean place to live but very limited opportunities for young people. I often find myself thinking the same thing. Where does everyone work?

Old 04-04-2014, 10:48 AM

679 posts, read 807,388 times
I hear "there are no jobs" line way too much. Its not just Boise, its a long term trend in our country. The days of finding a job for life and a gold watch/golden parachute are way over.

We have to make our own opportunities in the future. Nobody is just going to hand you a job with benefits and a salary you feel you deserve, not when we are competing with the rest of the world for unskilled/semi-skilled labor.

Go out, find a need for a product or service, and fill it. It could be the next great techno thing, or something as simple as lawn care service. The key is to make an effort at it and not give up at the first "no."

The US used to be a nation of entrepreneurs but it seems its becoming a nation of complainers and excuse makers.

When the real estate market took a dive, I had to go out and find alternate income sources, and I did. Some of it was a pt job, other times it was cleaning and rehabbing houses for others. I never once asked my fellow tax payers for a gift in the form of unemployment or ebt. Fortunately, those days are behind me but I know what to do if/when it ever happens again.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:00 PM

4,620 posts, read 8,120,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaD View Post
I never once asked my fellow tax payers for a gift in the form of unemployment or ebt. Fortunately, those days are behind me but I know what to do if/when it ever happens again.
Unemployment isn't a gift - if you're legally employed, either you or your employer pay for it. It's unemployment insurance, not "lazybones subsidies" and not taking it if you qualify is just as boneheaded and stupid as not accepting a life insurance payout when your parents die.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:38 PM

719 posts, read 1,557,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Unemployment isn't a gift - if you're legally employed, either you or your employer pay for it. It's unemployment insurance, not "lazybones subsidies" and not taking it if you qualify is just as boneheaded and stupid as not accepting a life insurance payout when your parents die.
To a point I agree, but with all the federal extensions as of late the whole system has gotten on the silly side. If somebody can't find a job for two years, it's probably time to start blaming the person in the mirror.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:29 PM

2 posts, read 1,916 times
there are not a lot of good paying jobs out there for people with disabilities. If you are bipolar and adhd your chances of getting somewhere here in this town is next to impossible. Most employers do not want to deal with people who are different in any way. They think these people must be idiots or something. I know from experience these things to be true since I have been treated very cruely and badly because of my conditions. If you are different then finding suitable employment in almost any field is very difficult. I have applied at rosauers and they did not even give me an interview for a cart attending job. I can certainly push carts around for eight or nine dollars an hr for customers. These guys are bigoted toward people with disabilities. They are not the only ones who do it though. Walmart does it very well. They treat their employees like garbage who are different. Basically, it comes down to discrimination throughout the valley because they do not want to change. So finding a good paying job here is hard when you are different and people are less than accepting of me. That is why I can only find work as a bell ringer for the salvation army this yr not even coming close to covering my bills.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:22 AM

276 posts, read 640,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolardude View Post
there are not a lot of good paying jobs out there for people with disabilities. If you are bipolar and adhd your chances of getting somewhere here in this town is next to impossible. Most employers do not want to deal with people who are different in any way. They think these people must be idiots or something. I know from experience these things to be true since I have been treated very cruely and badly because of my conditions. If you are different then finding suitable employment in almost any field is very difficult. I have applied at rosauers and they did not even give me an interview for a cart attending job. I can certainly push carts around for eight or nine dollars an hr for customers. These guys are bigoted toward people with disabilities. They are not the only ones who do it though. Walmart does it very well. They treat their employees like garbage who are different. Basically, it comes down to discrimination throughout the valley because they do not want to change. So finding a good paying job here is hard when you are different and people are less than accepting of me. That is why I can only find work as a bell ringer for the salvation army this yr not even coming close to covering my bills.
Did you tell Rosauer's, Walmart, et al, that you are "disabled" by bipolar and adhd?
How would they be "bigoted" against something unless they knew it was present?
Were you diagnosed by a psychiatrist or did you self diagnose?
Seems like you're pretty proud of being bipolar since you assumed it as a moniker.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:59 PM

2 posts, read 1,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAngleDoesn'tSuck View Post
Did you tell Rosauer's, Walmart, et al, that you are "disabled" by bipolar and adhd?
How would they be "bigoted" against something unless they knew it was present?
Were you diagnosed by a psychiatrist or did you self diagnose?
Seems like you're pretty proud of being bipolar since you assumed it as a moniker.
I was actually diagnosed with the condition through meridian family medicine originally. Then Pine Creek medicine came along and diagnosed me with the same condition. And, actually I am not pretty proud of being bipolar. It is something that can be very difficult to manage and deal with. So I am not a moniker or whatever you say I am.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:47 PM

147 posts, read 229,100 times
Today's paper said unemployment in Idaho is 4.1% right now, but yes, its a right to work state so the salaries are low and yes the cost of living is lower than most and crime rate in Idaho is the lowest of all 50 states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area