U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 10:31 AM

62 posts, read 138,360 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Eagle, ID in the next few months. When we were investigating Cable One and Century Link, we were surprised to find out that Century Link couldn't provide DSL (which we'd prefer over cable) to Eagle. We were even more surprised to find out that DirecTV doesn't provide local channels in Eagle. So, it looks like Cable One will be our provider, but we have just a few questions about it.

1. Phone: Anything that Cable One can't provide in their phone service that the normal phone provider Qwest/CenturyLink would have provided?

2. Internet: We'd rather not pay a monthly rental fee for a cable modem/wireless router. Any recommendations on a modem/router that we can just purchase at Best Buy or somewhere else? We need it to be the combination of a modem/router because we will be using a laptop with it.

3. TV: Again, we'd rather buy a DVR box than rent one if possible. With TiVo, you just end up with yet another subscription service, so that doesn't seem much better to buy one of those boxes. With the HD DVR that you can buy for $199 from Cable One, it doesn't say anything about being able to record more than one program at a time, so we're suspicious that it can't. Does anybody know for sure if it can or can't? They're pushing the Genie, but of course, that's just a rental and not available for purchase.

4. General: Anything else we should know before signing up with Cable One for phone, internet, and TV?

Thanks much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 11:15 AM

710 posts, read 1,213,141 times
All the local channels in the area are available in HD over the air, and they should integrate into your Direct TV channel guide so you can select them just like any other channel. You just need to hook up a set of bunny ears to your satellite box.

I don't know about the other issues, though. I have Centurylink DSL and you aren't missing anything. They're okay I guess, but you're dealing with a huge telecom and you know it. They just sent us a postcard that said they appreciated what great customers we were and they wanted to let us know our monthly fee was going up $2 per month. At least they appreciate us...?

You might verify with Centurylink about their service in Eagle - it seems odd they wouldn't offer DSL there. When we checked about a year ago, Dish for TV and Centurylink for broadband was quite a bit cheaper than CableOne for both.

I can't comment on the difference on phone service since we just use iPhones to cover that.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:13 PM

4 posts, read 14,443 times
CenturyLink does offer DSL in Eagle. The speeds might not be as high as they offer in downtown Boise, but it exists, my parents have it. I wouldn't touch CableONE high speed with a 10-foot pole. The only thing CableONE has on their side is access to ESPN3 if you subscribe to their internet. Other than that, I've heard nothing but nightmares about service outages and glitchy modems. We bought a CenturyLink modem w/Wifi and haven't had problems. But Best Buy in Boise does offer Wifi modems for each service.

Haven't heard anything about CableONE home phone. CenturyLink home phone works fine for my parents. Combine CenturyLink home phone, DSL, and Verizon cell phones, and you can get some good bundle discounts rockin.

(I also got the "friendly" postcard about the $2 increase in the monthly fee...)

Old 12-11-2013, 08:41 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,053,900 times
I am not happy with Cable One. They shut down the Turner channels, including CNN, TCM and others for a number of weeks. They refunded about 3 and half bucks, then raised their rates the month after. In my part of Idaho there are two lower frequency channels (5 and 9) that have nothing on them. They disappoint me to say the least. Their internet is good, but their TV is much less than desired. Their only savior with me would be to put some quality programming on their empty channels, and keep their rates low. Satellite offers much more at the end of the day, IMO.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:13 AM

3,574 posts, read 4,739,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSpudMuffin View Post
CenturyLink does offer DSL in Eagle. The speeds might not be as high as they offer in downtown Boise, but it exists, my parents have it. I wouldn't touch CableONE high speed with a 10-foot pole. The only thing CableONE has on their side is access to ESPN3 if you subscribe to their internet. Other than that, I've heard nothing but nightmares about service outages and glitchy modems. We bought a CenturyLink modem w/Wifi and haven't had problems. But Best Buy in Boise does offer Wifi modems for each service.

Haven't heard anything about CableONE home phone. CenturyLink home phone works fine for my parents. Combine CenturyLink home phone, DSL, and Verizon cell phones, and you can get some good bundle discounts rockin.

(I also got the "friendly" postcard about the $2 increase in the monthly fee...)
We are going to try Cable One...I've heard bad stuff too, but I am reluctant to get locked into a two year contract with Direct TV. We have our own, high end modem and I am hoping that that will mitigate some of the issues. We are in Caldwell, though, and that might make a difference.

I do have to wait 8 days for them to come out and hook it up, which is really aggravating.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:49 PM

61 posts, read 142,798 times
I live in Eagle and I do believe CenturyLink does offer DSL to Eagle. That being said, depending where in Eagle you live might be the issue. It's all about distance to the central office. Century Link does have an office over by Eagle Road and Old State Street, but that might not be considered the CO. Even so, I know people who have it and it works for them. I use Cable One. $50 a month gets me 50MB with nothing else. I have Direct TV and all the locals come in just fine so I'm not sure where this information is coming from. I use Ooma for my home phone. Works perfectly with Cable One Service and costs me about $3.75 a month just for the taxes. Sound is crystal clear and I feed it through my home phone system. My total for everything is about $150 a month. Not a great deal, but not too bad either. I highly recommend going with Cable One for your internet connection. I've had great customer service and no speed issues what-so-ever and I am constantly on the computer / tablet / phone so it's been extremely reliable.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:29 PM

4 posts, read 14,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
We have our own, high end modem and I am hoping that that will mitigate some of the issues.
You're probably right on the money with that. Factory modems are usually hit and miss but if you've got your own, awesome!

Old 12-13-2013, 11:40 PM

IdaD, IdahoSpudMuffin, and BigTrace:
I wasn't clear in the original post... CenturyLink _does_ offer DSL in Eagle, but it's only 1.5 Mbps. Compared to CableOne's 50Mbps, it seems it would be pathetically slow. I have just under 3Mbps DSL where I live now and can't imagine dealing with anything slower than that. :-( This past week, I called CenturyLink and they confirmed all they had was the 1.5Mbps for our new address.

IdahoSpudMuffin:
Thanks for the tip about the modems at Best Buy. I'll go buy my own there if we end up with CableOne.

BigTrace:
For the question about not getting local channels, that comes from the CenturyLink website. If you look at the English packages, at the bottom of the descriptions of each of the 5 packages, it says "local channels eligibility based on service address." I can no longer find the page where I entered the zip code, but when I did enter the Eagle zip, it said something to the effect of "local channels not available". Based on the comments here tonight, I went to the DirecTV website itself and entered the zip code there and it says that it does indeed support local channels for all 5 packages. That's fantastic news if we go with DirecTV.

Many thanks for your input.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:10 AM

17 posts, read 137,701 times
By now I've used most cable companies in this country and cable one is definitely one of them.

My advice is this (take if you want, ignore if you wish) If you're not going to move again in a year, buy a modem. I like the Motorola SB6141 which is $83 shipped from amazon, but really any docis 3 is fine. They're almost always < $90 and at $8 a month 1 year easily pays for itself. I'd suggest a separate wireless router as the wifi standards will change considerably more frequently than cable modem standards so it makes upgrade easier and allows for more creative positioning. That said, if you truly want an all in one the SBG6580 (wireless N) is the current way to go (currently < $130 on amazon).

DSL in the states is pretty pathetic, and only in upgraded fiber areas can they hope to hold a candle to most cable speeds. With cable one in the Caldwell area I've not had any service interruptions and speed is by and large the speed promised (here's a speed test from the time of sending which is classified as high usage time, I pay for 60/4 due to my extremely heavy usage at the moment of just under 400GB a month)

BUT if you live in a section where you might actually get 50Mb from CL it's worth considering if they have some excellent deals that don't require a contract.

In terms of channels, CO is fine, anything I need that's not on cableone I can find online. I *love* the tivo service, and at the price of CO it's within a few bucks a month of just the price of tivo service if you already own a box. The tivo that cableone is using is the Tivo Q, which has 4 tuners, and the ability to share programing with other tivo Q / minis. For my tv watching habits it made sense to get two Tivo Q's as opposed to a Tivo Q and a mini for the second tv. However if you're savvy with computers you could make your own 4+ tuner DVR with a windows 7 (or later) box with media center installed, a cable tuner (cetoncorp infinity 4 or 6 maybe) and a cable card (~$4 a month). But that's a bit harder to make non-tech friendly without adding an xbox 360 or some other media extender...

If you can tolerate a 2 year agreement directv is an excellent choice in an area like this (very little chance of programming going out) and with their current deals you can get their Genie for "free" for the first year, etc. If I knew where I was going to be for an extended time I would serious consider going back to DT for television (especially with the genie / hopper stuff) and just use CO for internet.

By and large people who are happy with their service don't post about their service in forums, so be warned you're going to see a lot more complaints than compliments.

Last edited by Someone1592; 12-14-2013 at 01:14 AM.. Reason: updated speedtest with a result while NOT downloading (d'oh!)

Old 12-15-2013, 10:51 PM

Someone1592:
Thanks so much for all that detailed information! I'll definitely be looking to buy my own router/modem and will take your advice about combined versus separate devices with me to Best Buy to analyze my options. CableOne was $8 per month for a combined router/modem. BTW, they also want $10 per month for the DVR. I really dislike paying rental for a DVR... would much rather buy my own, but can't find one.

As for CenturyLink speeds, I've seen on the buildidaho.com site that the Bella Terra subdivision in Eagle is supposed to have fiber optics. But, I haven't been able to find anybody yet that knows for sure. The person I talked with at CenturyLink said no.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area