Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 04:50 PM

39 posts, read 343,320 times

Advertisements

I live in LA and I just got back from a 2 week trip to IDAHO and heres a quick run down of what I seen.

Boise- Very nice people, lots of places to eat, shop, malls, movies and 24 hr Wal Marts it seemed like a normal nice low crime city.

Meridian- OMG it really gives you the best of both worlds. Half country half city so what ever you like its there. It has less traffic than boise but even boise was'nt bad. (keep in mind I live in LA and theres always bumper to bumper traffic every where you go) I say that because the people out there think they have it bad but it's 1000000000's times worse out here. Every one drives the speed limit and uses there blinkers out there even on the freeways. I also brought my scanner out there to moniter the crime activity and and there were people calling the cops on people who were speeding. My point is that these people are so very nice but if your weaving in and out of lanes and bringing that california 20 mph over the speed limit crap out there they will report you !!!

Caldwell- Now being a cop I kinda have a different look on some things and this is one place I would never move. Yes I did see some nice areas but I also seen alot of bad ones to. I went on a ride along with Caldwell PD and they told me to stay away from Caldwell and Nampa. In the first 3 hours we responded to 5 to 6 shots being fired and a stabbing. None of the cops live in Caldwell they live in Meridian or Boise.

Nampa- O.k. one thing that bothers me is people dont like to say what the truth of the crime is well I will. Nampa and Caldwell have alot of these fake as@ wanna be east LA cholo gangbangers and yes they are mexicans with shaved heads. Now as far there race goes it is what it is and no one not even the news will report what race they are and that bothers me. Now before any one thinks im a racist I am half mexican myself and my wife is black. So please save your breath and writting skills. (ha-ha)

Well to some it up the people out there treat each other how they would wanna be treated. If you act like a jerk then you will get treated like a jerk. As far as racist I could'nt find anyone even looking a little racist everyone had such kind hearts. If your looking for a place to move this should be on your top 3 list for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 11:53 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
Thread retitled to be area-specific and moved to correct subforum...

Old 11-28-2007, 08:33 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,507,975 times
Thanks for that anaylsis of the area LAPD77. My husband and I are considering moving to the area and now have a better idea of what it's like.

May I ask you a little more about the "gang" wanabees? Did the local PD say rather or not the problem is related to illegal aliens in the area? I have seen some posts about illegals in Idaho but don't really see much feedback on it. We would love to move there but don't want to be somewhere that let's the illegal problem get out of hand.

Thanks again for the good information. I had a feeling that the locals where really good people!

Old 11-28-2007, 08:45 AM

434 posts, read 3,177,470 times
I think your perspective is right on. From my viewpoint it seems that Meridian/West Boise/Eagle attracts people from Orange County, CA and suburban Phoenix/Scottsdale. The California transplants that I have met that live in Nampa or Caldwell all seem to be from Ontario, Bakersfield and other places in California that I would never want to live in. They move to Nampa and Caldwell because of the cheap housing and the 45 minute commute to Boise beats an hour and half commute from the California interior to your job in the OC.

My wife was a victim of a crime earlier this year and when the person was caught we found out that they were gangbanger wanna-be's from Nampa that drove into Boise. Your description of the Nampa gangbangers is an accurate view of the people committing crime in the Boise area.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:17 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micrguy View Post
I think your perspective is right on. From my viewpoint it seems that Meridian/West Boise/Eagle attracts people from Orange County, CA and suburban Phoenix/Scottsdale. The California transplants that I have met that live in Nampa or Caldwell all seem to be from Ontario, Bakersfield and other places in California that I would never want to live in. They move to Nampa and Caldwell because of the cheap housing and the 45 minute commute to Boise beats an hour and half commute from the California interior to your job in the OC.

My wife was a victim of a crime earlier this year and when the person was caught we found out that they were gangbanger wanna-be's from Nampa that drove into Boise. Your description of the Nampa gangbangers is an accurate view of the people committing crime in the Boise area.
Very sorry to hear that. If I'm remembering correctly, you have only been in Boise a short time, right? It is upsetting to hear that already your wife has been a crime victim.

Was this something like a car break-in or was it more serious? I'll certainly understand if you don't want to elaborate.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:25 PM

434 posts, read 3,177,470 times
It's kind of funny now, half the reason we moved to Boise was to get away from crime. About a month after we moved here my wife's office was broken into twice. My wife works for a church downtown and someone went into the church offices during a special event and stole a bunch of stuff including my wife's purse, then 5 days later someone broke into the church at night and stole more stuff.

They caught the first people and they were a part of a big drug ring based in Nampa that dealt drugs and committed lots of petty thefts around the Boise area. Other than this happening our move to Boise has been nothing but positive.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:36 PM

88 posts, read 333,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPD77 View Post
I live in LA and I just got back from a 2 week trip to IDAHO and heres a quick run down of what I seen.

Boise- Very nice people, lots of places to eat, shop, malls, movies and 24 hr Wal Marts it seemed like a normal nice low crime city.

Meridian- OMG it really gives you the best of both worlds. Half country half city so what ever you like its there. It has less traffic than boise but even boise was'nt bad. (keep in mind I live in LA and theres always bumper to bumper traffic every where you go) I say that because the people out there think they have it bad but it's 1000000000's times worse out here. Every one drives the speed limit and uses there blinkers out there even on the freeways. I also brought my scanner out there to moniter the crime activity and and there were people calling the cops on people who were speeding. My point is that these people are so very nice but if your weaving in and out of lanes and bringing that california 20 mph over the speed limit crap out there they will report you !!!

Caldwell- Now being a cop I kinda have a different look on some things and this is one place I would never move. Yes I did see some nice areas but I also seen alot of bad ones to. I went on a ride along with Caldwell PD and they told me to stay away from Caldwell and Nampa. In the first 3 hours we responded to 5 to 6 shots being fired and a stabbing. None of the cops live in Caldwell they live in Meridian or Boise.

Nampa- O.k. one thing that bothers me is people dont like to say what the truth of the crime is well I will. Nampa and Caldwell have alot of these fake as@ wanna be east LA cholo gangbangers and yes they are mexicans with shaved heads. Now as far there race goes it is what it is and no one not even the news will report what race they are and that bothers me. Now before any one thinks im a racist I am half mexican myself and my wife is black. So please save your breath and writting skills. (ha-ha)

Well to some it up the people out there treat each other how they would wanna be treated. If you act like a jerk then you will get treated like a jerk. As far as racist I could'nt find anyone even looking a little racist everyone had such kind hearts. If your looking for a place to move this should be on your top 3 list for sure.

You are right about Boise and Meridan. I was there last month and they are nice places. Wonderfulllllllllll! I don't know about nampa and Caldwell, seeing that I am from corrupt NJ. I have one thing to say, Rt 30 West from Wyoming to ID scared the mess out of us. Cliffs, deer, moose, elk and big work trucks speeding down the road and passing you at 80.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:10 AM

39 posts, read 343,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
Thanks for that anaylsis of the area LAPD77. My husband and I are considering moving to the area and now have a better idea of what it's like.

May I ask you a little more about the "gang" wanabees? Did the local PD say rather or not the problem is related to illegal aliens in the area? I have seen some posts about illegals in Idaho but don't really see much feedback on it. We would love to move there but don't want to be somewhere that let's the illegal problem get out of hand.

Thanks again for the good information. I had a feeling that the locals where really good people!
Well the fact of the matter is this, most illegal aliens are hard workers and they try to stay under the radar but being that they dont have much money thay tend to live in not so good areas. So the parents are always out looking for work and this leaves the kids unattended. So they are looking for friends in all the wrong places. But to awnser your question yes it does have somthing to do with the illegals. Keep in mind the whole foundation of starting a new life here is ILLEGAL. So the kids being raised have a different idea about the police. As far as the Gang wanabees are concerned they are little punks with somthing to prove and nothing to loose. You see I work for one of the most crime infested parts of LA and over the years I realize that Real Gang members 90 % of the time dont wanna hurt innocent people. Well these fake Idaho Gangs are still trying to prove there selfs and they will shoot random shots to show that they are "keeping it hood." It was only in Nampa and mainly Caldwell where you see the "Baldys" as we call um blasting there radios and leaning like a cholo. My friend was going to make a documentary about Idaho's gang problem. Check out the preview
YouTube - Idaho Gangs or just Google Idaho gangs.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:28 PM

679 posts, read 811,711 times
LAPD77,
Thank You for the kind comments about our city. Its always good to hear a perspective from outside the area.

With your attitude and outlook, I think you would be very welcome here should you decide to relocate.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:48 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,884,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPD77 View Post
Well the fact of the matter is this, most illegal aliens are hard workers and they try to stay under the radar but being that they dont have much money thay tend to live in not so good areas. So the parents are always out looking for work and this leaves the kids unattended. So they are looking for friends in all the wrong places. But to awnser your question yes it does have somthing to do with the illegals. Keep in mind the whole foundation of starting a new life here is ILLEGAL. So the kids being raised have a different idea about the police. As far as the Gang wanabees are concerned they are little punks with somthing to prove and nothing to loose. You see I work for one of the most crime infested parts of LA and over the years I realize that Real Gang members 90 % of the time dont wanna hurt innocent people. Well these fake Idaho Gangs are still trying to prove there selfs and they will shoot random shots to show that they are "keeping it hood." It was only in Nampa and mainly Caldwell where you see the "Baldys" as we call um blasting there radios and leaning like a cholo. My friend was going to make a documentary about Idaho's gang problem. Check out the preview
YouTube - Idaho Gangs or just Google Idaho gangs.
So wannabes are worse than the real thing? Interesting. And uhh, what's a cholo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area