U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2014, 11:56 PM

271 posts, read 740,967 times

Advertisements

I'm curious if anyone out there has any information they'd like to share about Boise/Meridian schools.

Certainly there are a lot of ratings out there, both from the state of Idaho and various online sources. I feel like these ratings only tell part of the story (I believe they are biased toward test scores and class sizes) but if so, I don't how to find out what the rest of the story is.

For instance, per the state of Idaho rankings (https://apps.sde.idaho.gov/Accountab...s2012-2013.pdf), Boise district has three five-star schools (Boise High, Adams Elementary, Longfellow Elementary), while Meridian has one non-charter five-star school (McPherson Elementary). Is that really the limit of the good schools in the area? I'm guessing the four-star schools are good too, what about the three star schools?

I suppose my main question is whether these ratings are pretty accurate with regard to reality or if they are pretty skewed? There are some older posts that mention that pretty much any school in the Boise district is good but the school ratings range from 2-5. Is that really the case? Thanks in advance for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 07:17 AM

2,953 posts, read 6,794,340 times
Had two kids in the Boise and Meridian school districts while we lived there. My general consensus is the the schools are okay but not great. They were in a pretty decent charter school in Arizona, so they found the workload in Idaho pretty easy. Once we moved back to Arizona, our kids struggled to catch up again when we placed them back in a rigorous charter school environment. Only negative experience was having to deal with the teacher and principal the couple of times we pulled them out of school for a week to visit relatives out of state. The principal called us to lecture us but I told her that our kids have straight A's and missing a week won't affect their grade.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:57 AM

276 posts, read 523,458 times
Would not recommend Meridian District.
Highly recommend Boise District.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:23 AM

8,043 posts, read 23,705,086 times
I went to school in Meridian, straight down McMillan Road (McMillan Elementary, Lowell Scott Middle, and Centennial High) and got a great education. Same with my sister, although she went to Joplin Elementary.

The schools in Meridian district tend to be newer, due to all the growth in that area over the last 20 years.

Both districts have good and bad to them.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:30 AM

708 posts, read 1,155,999 times
Meridian/Eagle and Boise are both good large (relatively speaking) public school systems. Certainly there is going to be some variation in the individual schools and with that many teachers and administrators, you'll get some good and bad, but for the most part both are solid. I am aware of the state's star rating system but I don't know how much stock to put in it. I definitely think it's inaccurate to say that the only good schools are the five star schools.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:22 AM

8,043 posts, read 23,705,086 times
I agree. You can't go off the star rating. You are right, they heavily factor in test scores. "Teaching for the test" is not a good thing. I would much rather my kids (if I had any) went to a school with lower test scores, but who taught the kids to THINK, rather than with high test scores who only learn how to pass tests.

And THAT, I believe, comes down more to the policies of the individual school and the motivation of the individual teachers.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:21 PM

271 posts, read 740,967 times
Thank you for the information. Maybe to turn the question around a little, are there any schools in the Boise/Meridian districts to be avoided?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area