Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 09:23 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,819,620 times

Advertisements

I have seen that as well. I grew up in Newport, Laguna, and SJC. Commuted to college in NOC from South County as well, right up I-5 through those areas. It was always very odd to go from my home area to school and back all in a day...you crossed such a huge disparity of economics...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 09:33 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,194,688 times
Not sure if I can believe this as it ranks San Jose as number one. There is a relatively large gang population in that city.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:39 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,194,688 times
Plus it ranks the Portland/South Portland/Biddeford Maine in the section of cities over 500,000. Biddeford is about 20 miles outside of Portland/South Portland and Portland + the Greater Portland area (which consists of five cities-Biddeford is not one of them) only has a population of 250,000.

I should know, I live in Portland ME.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:26 AM

1 posts, read 3,409 times
Default need some assistance please...

Hi folks! Merry New Year! Torrie - can you help?
I'm new to this sight and was sent here while searching for a job. Got into your postings / threads, and thought maybe you might be in a position to help. As with so many new arrivals, my family and I came up from So-Cal about a year ago on the promise of a good job. Paid about the same as my job in San Diego, but effectively amounted to a fat raise due to the much lower cost of living here in Boise. We came up for a visit (and I'd spent a month here myself about ten years ago), and fell in love. Did some impromptu job hunting and landed what we thought was a great job. Made the move only to discover a hiring freeze, which left us scrambling. Went several months w/ no success, then finally got hired by those who had brought me here in the first place. Four months later, due to downsizing, out I went. Been living on savings and unemployment ever since. Not at all proud of that fact - never collected unemployment in my life until now - but have had no luck finding a job. Two thousand resumes out there, lots of networking (it really is all about who you know here, way more than anywhere else I've lived - very "buddy - buddy" here). I need to make at least $48,000 annually to make ends meet. Way less than I used to, but we're just trying to stay afloat at this point. Wife permanently disabled, so it's up to me. Her disability income is pretty much a joke, certainly not enough to support a human life. We have a five year old daughter who has been battling cancer for the last four years, so bills are high while income is low. Credit pretty well shot to hell by this point, as is the norm for Americans with medical issues, unfortunately. Despite all this, we are a very happy, well adjusted, God fearing family - the three musketeers - battling against the evils of pessimism and doom-sayers, and we firmly believe that things will get better - and that we will continue to become stronger through the fight. My biggest obstacle seems to be age and education level. I'm presently forty-eight and have five years of various college credits, but no degree. My field of expertise for the last twenty years has been pretty tightly focused - good for pay, but bad for jobhunting. I specialize in sales and service of high end decorative plumbing and hardware from all over the world, the kind of stuff you won't find at your usual hardware store or plumbing and hadware retailer. We're talking high end decorators, builders, architects as a client base. Do you guys (and girls) know of someone somewhere who might be able to squeeze me into their organization? I'm familiar with high end real estate, can identify just about every brand used in high end homes, have a good working knowledge of all phases of construction, ama fast learner and great with customers in helping to make design selections / decisions.... Any suggestions? I'm open to all, but my main problem in so many interviews so far have been related to Age, Financial situation (after four years of cancer bills and my wifes stroke - even with good insurance - it ain't pretty), not knowing the right folks, our income requirements, and, yes, not being a local. My resume is really good - get lots of great feedback - but when it comes to crunch time, they go with someone else (younger, local, degreed...). I keep in touch with those contacts I make along the way, in a wide variety of fields, and remain perpetually optomistic (after what we've survived, this is a cakewalk!), but we're getting pretty desperate at this point, too. Would love some positive feedback, advice, contact information, etc from yooz gize! Thanks! brettbruyere@yahoo.com --- Please use "Job Help" in your E-Mails to avoid deletion w/o being read... THX

Last edited by bluehair; 01-02-2008 at 01:49 AM..

Old 01-02-2008, 01:33 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,202,871 times
Hi Bluehair,
So sorry to hear of your difficulties. I will email you with more info. Check out this link below. It lists a ton of different industries and the possible pay scale you can expect to make. Try using this as a guide for possibly exploring different job opportunities, maybe there is something on there that will coincide with your skills. Hope this helps.

http://lmi.idaho.gov/Portals/13/PDFS...y%20Report.pdf (broken link)

For some reason this link above is not working- go to the thread-Boise Job Market dead?- click on the fifth page and scroll down to my post and you will see the same link there which works. They don't like us double post websites so that could be why it's not working here.

Last edited by Torrie; 01-02-2008 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: link not working
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area