Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 01:29 PM

6 posts, read 20,065 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

My wife and I are looking to move to Idaho at the end of the year. From my research I've done lurking on this forum Meridian or Kuna seem like good places to start our lives and raise a family. We are a conservative young couple (25 and 26). What can anyone tell me about either locations? Kuna seems to be in our price range for homes. Around 150k - 185k. Looking for a newer safe nice neighborhood. Best neighborhoods? I don't mind working in Nampa or other towns. Seems like there a good amount of companies that are in my field of work, with open positions, so I don't think it will be too hard to find a new job. Also are there any open public lands for target shooting in either areas? Its my hobby!

Any information on either area is much appreciated!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 04:30 PM

maybe I should avoid these areas, due to the silence?

Old 05-30-2014, 05:32 PM

213 posts, read 339,190 times
More like this topic has been touched many times before, and we hope you did a topic search on the towns.

I think Kuna is a bit far for a commute, unless you don't mind taking upwards to an hour. My husband worked as a substitute teacher and sometimes the traffic is so bad that it takes him 40 minutes to travel 8.6 miles. This is from Meridian to Boise.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:48 PM

719 posts, read 1,556,997 times
There are several shooting ranges around - google should lead you to them pretty easily. Some free and some private. There is also ample public land surrounding Boise that you can use to shoot, but please be responsible and pick up after yourself.

I don't really know what to tell you about Kuna or Meridian. Kuna is pretty far from everything, though it does have a good Mexican restaurant so there's at least that (El Gallo Giro). The commute, whether to Nampa or Boise, will be fairly long. If you're just commuting into Meridian it wouldn't be too bad. I don't live out that way so I don't know how busy Meridian Road gets in the mornings and evenings. They are redoing the Meridian/I-84 interchange right now so when that's done it should help with getting on and off the freeway at least.

Meridian is much larger but would offer a shorter commute, though how short will again vary widely depending on what part of town you're living in and where you're working. You are correct that your dollar will stretch a little farther in Kuna.

Personally, in either community I would watch out for Hubble Homes or CBH neighborhoods. Both builders may put together an okay house, but they really aren't attractive and neither builder does much for landscaping, so the neighborhoods look pretty shabby overall. To be fair, this is reflected in the lower price (though also in the lower resale values). Unfortunately with your budget I'm not sure there are many builders or newer neighborhoods out there other than Hubble or CBH, particularly in Meridian. I would recommend opening your search up a little bit to older homes.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaD View Post
There are several shooting ranges around - google should lead you to them pretty easily. Some free and some private. There is also ample public land surrounding Boise that you can use to shoot, but please be responsible and pick up after yourself.

I don't really know what to tell you about Kuna or Meridian. Kuna is pretty far from everything, though it does have a good Mexican restaurant so there's at least that (El Gallo Giro). The commute, whether to Nampa or Boise, will be fairly long. If you're just commuting into Meridian it wouldn't be too bad. I don't live out that way so I don't know how busy Meridian Road gets in the mornings and evenings. They are redoing the Meridian/I-84 interchange right now so when that's done it should help with getting on and off the freeway at least.

Meridian is much larger but would offer a shorter commute, though how short will again vary widely depending on what part of town you're living in and where you're working. You are correct that your dollar will stretch a little farther in Kuna.

Personally, in either community I would watch out for Hubble Homes or CBH neighborhoods. Both builders may put together an okay house, but they really aren't attractive and neither builder does much for landscaping, so the neighborhoods look pretty shabby overall. To be fair, this is reflected in the lower price (though also in the lower resale values). Unfortunately with your budget I'm not sure there are many builders or newer neighborhoods out there other than Hubble or CBH, particularly in Meridian. I would recommend opening your search up a little bit to older homes.
Thanks for the information! I always make sure clean up the public lands, so they don't get destroyed or fenced off. As for commutes im used to having to drive at least 30 minutes to work, so I guess its not a huge deal. But if I don't have to would be very nice. I was considering Kuna because of the cheaper price for a home, but I will keep an eye out those builders, thank you very much for that! Im currently in a smaller town around the size of Kuna is also why I was looking at it. Meridian seems to be very nice although im not sure I can find a house in my price range.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:36 PM

276 posts, read 640,465 times
I don't care for Meridian for a couple of reasons.
1- I do not like their school district.
2- Being closer to Nampa, sometimes it stinks there.
3- It's not close enough for me to any outdoor recreation.
In Boise where I live, I'm five minutes from the river and ten from to foothills.

Kuna has nothing to offer in my opinion.
This is just me, but if I'm going to live "out in the country",
which Kuna kind of is, I want to be surrounded by forests and creeks.
Kuna's just a town surrounded by farmland.
Obviously some people like it. I don't.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAngleDoesn'tSuck View Post
I don't care for Meridian for a couple of reasons.
1- I do not like their school district.
2- Being closer to Nampa, sometimes it stinks there.
3- It's not close enough for me to any outdoor recreation.
In Boise where I live, I'm five minutes from the river and ten from to foothills.

Kuna has nothing to offer in my opinion.
This is just me, but if I'm going to live "out in the country",
which Kuna kind of is, I want to be surrounded by forests and creeks.
Kuna's just a town surrounded by farmland.
Obviously some people like it. I don't.
Right now we don't have children so a school district isn't really on our list. Although it is something that will be a concern when we start our family. I went through a horrible school system and don't want that for my kids. I grew up in a small farm town and I think that's what attracts me to kuna. Plus a lot of farm land usually means work for me, at least in my field. (irrigation districts) As for smells there are tons of large dairies so smelling cow poo is kind of a homey feel for me. Lol. but its some type of processing plant that give off the smell? I'm just not sure Boise is the place for us, but I do hear nothing but great things about it. Ive never lived in town bigger that 16k people so I guess that's where it comes from. As for outdoor stuff I'm usually doing some shooting. My wife dose like to go to old shops or farms and by junk and restore it. I enjoy doing that with her, kind of a fun project for the two of us to do together. Thanks for giving some input on it. I like the different opinions! We plan to take some time off this October and go check it out for ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area