Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 04:34 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times

Advertisements

I've been curious as I've been offered a few positions up that way. I'm down in the Salt Lake area right now and out of work. I do business development/sales mainly. It seems as though there have been a good number of opportunities up that way lately, but I was wondering how the economy is in general. Frankly I'm real tired of Utah altogether for several reasons, one of which is obvious if you know what I mean. So how are things up that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 05:27 PM

276 posts, read 644,059 times
Lot's of work here in Boise, although employers don't pay very much.
The better money is in self-employment.
Idaho is an easy place to do business.
Cost of living is reasonable, although rental and real estate prices are going up quickly.

Plenty of Mormons around here, but they are not the same as Utah Mormons.
I do business with some of them, and they are very nice people.
My experience in Utah was quite different.

You conservative? Like freedom and privacy?
Idaho may be a good move for you.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:35 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,450 times
The economy stinks, generally speaking, and the wages are pretty terrible, but if you have job offers or can bring a job with you, you'll do fine here.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:03 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I've been curious as I've been offered a few positions up that way. I'm down in the Salt Lake area right now and out of work. I do business development/sales mainly. It seems as though there have been a good number of opportunities up that way lately, but I was wondering how the economy is in general. Frankly I'm real tired of Utah altogether for several reasons, one of which is obvious if you know what I mean. So how are things up that way?
The economy is doing good in Boise and today news broke that Idaho's unemployment rate dropped to 4.9%.
If you have already checked out positions you want here and you see opportunity then go for it. There are a lot of places hiring, as with Utah there are lots of call center type jobs as well as high tech including software jobs, and higher paying career jobs. You will find the Boise economy mirrors what is going on nationally, there is a lot of competition for the high paying jobs.

Boise, Salt Lake, Idaho/Utah are similar in pay, cost of living, etc.

Boise seems to be cruising along nicely after coming out the economic slump. There is a lot of new apartments being built in the downtown area and throughout the city. Boise's growing and it isn't stopping anytime soon. It's a busy city, people are out and about spending money and looking fine.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:48 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,616 times
Since the thread is on the subject of the Boise economy and jobs how is the construction industry doing in the Boise area? In particular construction management and construction estimating? I know for a while construction was way down in Boise but that was everywhere else, too, due to the economy.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:57 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
Since the thread is on the subject of the Boise economy and jobs how is the construction industry doing in the Boise area? In particular construction management and construction estimating? I know for a while construction was way down in Boise but that was everywhere else, too, due to the economy.
Construstion is currently booming in the Boise area, (several large projects are taking place in downtown with more on the way this year) but I'm not sure about management or estimating.

The Idaho Business Review has several articles regarding the current state of construction in Boise.

Idaho Business Review | IBR

Construction | Idaho Business Review

Last edited by Syringaloid; 06-24-2014 at 02:08 PM..

Old 06-24-2014, 02:05 PM

719 posts, read 1,567,305 times
Construction is booming again, both residential and commercial. Some might argue it's booming a little too much, but it is pouring lots of money into the economy. The Village at Meridian alone is a $300 million project. The tower at 8th and main and JUMP are also large projects, albeit not quite so large. There are also quite a few smaller commercial projects littered around. Homebuilding is robust as well. It's anybody's guess what happens when interest rates rise again, though - certainly you'd think that would slow down at least the residential side of things a bit.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:42 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,077,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post

I looked it up -

Boise City-Nampa, ID Economy at a Glance

Construction has grown by 1.9% in the past year in the Boise area.

Compared to other areas in the West....

Las Vegas: 6.3%
Denver: 5.0%
Salt Lake City: 8.2%
Seattle: 3.9%
Portland: 5.3%
Phoenix: -0.5%
San Diego: 8.5%
San Jose: 5.5%
Riverside: 4.6%
Sacramento: 6.8%

At a Glance Tables

I used to do construction work years ago.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:56 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Idaho leads nation in construction job growth - Idaho Press-Tribune: Members

Idaho leads nation in construction job growth

Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 11:02 pm

BOISE — Idaho added the highest percentage of new construction jobs in the nation between December and January, according to an Associated General Contractors of America report

The Gem State added 1,900 jobs, a 5.8 percent increase. Construction jobs in Idaho were also up 5.8 percent in January 2014 over January 2013, ranking the state 11th in the nation for percentage of growth.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:43 AM

276 posts, read 644,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
I looked it up -

Boise City-Nampa, ID Economy at a Glance

Construction has grown by 1.9% in the past year in the Boise area.

Compared to other areas in the West....

Las Vegas: 6.3%
Denver: 5.0%
Salt Lake City: 8.2%
Seattle: 3.9%
Portland: 5.3%
Phoenix: -0.5%
San Diego: 8.5%
San Jose: 5.5%
Riverside: 4.6%
Sacramento: 6.8%

At a Glance Tables

I used to do construction work years ago.
Whatever it was a year ago is irrelevant to today.
New houses and commercial buildings are going up everywhere.
A quick glance at our local CL tells the story.
Skilled trades are in high demand.
I just glanced at it and three out of the first six listing are for framers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: