Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2014, 08:03 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,674,513 times

Advertisements

I did a search in the Boise sub forum and, oddly, could not find a gardening thread. I must be doing something wrong and perhaps someone here can steer me in the right direction if that is the case.

We are closing on a house on the bench in a few days and I want to get a fall garden up and running. Is it too late? The house has a gardening area with some raised beds and I will add more beds as I become knowledgeable. I know nothing about gardening. I did, however, end up with an accidental garden when my compost pile started producing butternut squash this summer.

Those of you who are avid gardeners, I'd really like to pick your brain as to how to properly vegetable garden, specifically, in Boise. (Otherwise I'd be in the Gardening sub forum.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 08:39 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
It isn't too late to plate certain types of plants and you are correct, there is not a Boise gardening thread here at city-data.

Here is a link to a local website with info. I saw a list at this site of 10 edibles to grow this fall.

Gardens of the Wild Wild West | Gardening is civil and social, but it wants the vigor and freedom of the forest and the outlaw. ~H.D. Thoreau

The Idaho Statesman has columns by Margaret Lauterbach which also have a lot of info.

Margaret Lauterbach: Gardening | Idahostatesman.com

Edwards Greenhouse on Hill Road is a great place to get pointers and tips.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:07 AM

719 posts, read 1,567,305 times
I have a big garden every year but I've never tried a fall garden. To be honest I get pretty burned out from tending the regular summer garden plus the yard and all the fall maintenance that needs to be done each year, so it's never been on my radar. Plus hunting typically gets in the way. I'm sure you could grow radishes, kale and other cool weather plants in the fall. At this point you probably need to start with plants rather than seeds, though (except on the radishes - those things grow crazy fast).

Old 09-09-2014, 10:43 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,674,513 times
Do gardening centers offer fall vegetable plants? In the spring, they were abundant - I haven't been recently, though. I thought, maybe, I could do some hoop green houses to extend the season. I'm not sure what to plant either. I assume kale, lettuce, and radishes as suggested. Any other suggestions for easy-to-grow veggies? I figured I'd pick two or three and focus on developing my gardening skills on those.

I've been doing a bit of vermicomposting and have about a two gallons of that. Although, I'm not really sure what ratios I should use in the soil.

As I progress, I'll post pictures and see what you all have to offer in the way of advice.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:52 PM

38 posts, read 42,259 times
I'm definitely gong to keep my eye on this thread.

I am moving to Boise next week! I also will have a house on the bench with existing raised garden beds, existing compost (both stack and barrel) and have no idea what the growing seasons are like and have not had a garden in over a decade.

Looking forward to seeing what folks have to say.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:50 AM

679 posts, read 812,192 times
I've got radishes, lettuce, and spinach in the ground right now for fall. It got cooler a couple of weeks back and I thought it was time to get going. This week is much hotter, I hope it doesn't kill what I have planted.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:47 PM

19 posts, read 23,566 times
Started a few fall radishes in areas where I've pulled up the early batches of green beans, but the return of the heat has caused the remaining beans and the tomatoes to go nuts. And the butternut squash vines are swarming out of their beds and heading for the house...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area