Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 08:19 PM

236 posts, read 193,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSwitek View Post
I'm positive. We elect our HOA board members annually. HOA board members are made up of residents in our community. They work for us, not the other way around. I seriously doubt a developer would sue it's self. Kind of surprised I have to explain this to you.
Ah yes, I see online that Star, ID is an incorporated town with its own elected six member city council since 1997. Says they havent done that in Ada County since the 70's.....interesting. I was responding to your comment: "Originally Posted by StanSwitek
HOA's are made up by the residents who are mostly against this."

My humble apologies! I thought you meant HOA's in general were started by residents which they are not. I am sure we will all look forward to hearing the outcome of your city council meeting this Tuesday Sept 4th. Sounds like the city council has made up their mind about the annexation and are ready to move forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,989 times
Unhappy What I Don't Like About Idaho (Especially Nampa)

OMG! What I hate about Nampa, Idaho? It's where they don't have retail stores I like to window shop at other than Walmart, like expensive clothing stores including Hot Topic, Coach, etc.

Karcher Mall really suck because they don't maintain the interiors well including restrooms, also lack of popular store chains and eateries. Nathan's Pretzels are not bad, but don't have the selection of pretzels like what Wetzel's or Auntie Anne's have .

If I want to go to the shopping mall, I would go to The Village in Meridian, or Boise Towne Square in Boise.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:39 PM

131 posts, read 142,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanDrake99 View Post
OMG! What I hate about Nampa, Idaho? It's where they don't have retail stores I like to window shop at other than Walmart, like expensive clothing stores including Hot Topic, Coach, etc.

Karcher Mall really suck because they don't maintain the interiors well including restrooms, also lack of popular store chains and eateries. Nathan's Pretzels are not bad, but don't have the selection of pretzels like what Wetzel's or Auntie Anne's have .

If I want to go to the shopping mall, I would go to The Village in Meridian, or Boise Towne Square in Boise.
yeah nampa is not the place to be historically or at the moment if you like shopping/city life etc. but honestly its improving give it some time it will get there-meridian wasn't much years ago either and now looK!

Old 10-21-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanDrake99 View Post

I agree - if Nampa govt wanted improvement and increased city business, they would remodel that hideous 1970's Karcher Mall and make it a pleasant place to shop for residents. Perfect central location to be able to shop, grab lunch, have coffee with friends. The powers that be decided to pour $$$ into Star - and kick Nampa to the curb. Nampa continues to look worse and worse as they add more used car dealerships and ugly storage unit facilities all up & down Caldwell Blvd. In the 5 yrs I have been here, I have not seen any improvements in Nampa. They seem to talk a good game about "improvements" but where are they? What I keep seeing are small businesses which cannot stay open even 6 months! Last yr we had a cute bakery with excellent ambiance. GONE. So many little businesses keep failing. The blvd is looking trashed. The downtown road improvements wont help when all the businesses have shut down and moved to Meridian. Sorry Nampa.....

Old 01-20-2019, 11:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmschultze1017 View Post
We loved everything we heard about Idaho and especially Meridian, Idaho when we began our search in about 2014 when Meridian had a population of about 55,000...perfect! We moved here in October 2017 and I wish I would have done more in-depth research.

The people are wonderful; however, we are now at a population of approx. 90,000 and growing. The infrastructure just can't handle it and the Cities here just want that almighty dollar so they just keep letting the developers build and build and build.

I don't have anything against growth, heck, we're from California, as long as it is done right...here it is NOT!!! The traffic is HORRIBLE. I commute 12 miles into Boise and it takes me about an hour to do that distance.....much like the traffic of Los Angeles and every day it gets worse.

Another thing, Meridian is nice, but very metropolitan, not the green open pastures you may be thinking of. Also, there is this thing called the Inversion in winter which lasts about a month and is a very heavy cloud blanketing the entire area. It's so bad that you can't light your pellet stove because it just doesn't vent properly during an inversion. Also, it's just plain depressing. Plus, the high cost of housing which has gone up double what we were looking at, is making it hard on Idahoans who don't make the salaries that allow them to buy a home. I do love being here in Idaho because of the people and it is very family and community oriented which I do love. These are people with values and morals and yes...guns! Love that! So, if you are coming here, just know and WANT to be Idahoan, don't come and try to make it into California. We hate what California has become, so if you do come, just know that you are coming into a red state and we are fighting to keep it that way! So, if you are not conservative and you don't want to be a part of this beautiful culture of people, then stay away...please!

There are many gorgeous places here in Idaho and the beauty all around is breath-taking, it's just getting to be wayyyyy too crowded. We know that we will be moving farther north, or anywhere out of Ada County. They call it Ada State here because they are quite liberal and they do have a lot of regulations, some even mroe so than California. So just KNOW where you are moving.

^ Us! We are getting ready for our move in the next couple of months to greener (Redder) pastures, lower cost of living and hopefully more freedom. We have our eyes set on Meridian as well. Should we reconsider?

Last edited by nothingbutvapor; 01-20-2019 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: Embed quote

Old 01-22-2019, 11:13 PM

48 posts, read 66,548 times
Not sure if anyone mentioned this as yet but in the late summers we do deal with the smoke from all the forest fires. If you have kids with asthma or breathing problems they can’t leave the house or play outside then. It can last for a few weeks at a time

Old 02-04-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingbutvapor View Post
^ Us! We are getting ready for our move in the next couple of months to greener (Redder) pastures, lower cost of living and hopefully more freedom. We have our eyes set on Meridian as well. Should we reconsider?
IMO you will be coming to a crowded place with alot of transplants in an area where the housing is getting ridiculous. Idaho might be considered "nice" but its getting overcrowded and expensive. The movers and shakers in the political arena belong to a well establised religious organization which this forum bans people from mentioning. We are not allowed to say their name! Californians are naiive - they still havent figured out who owns and operates the state of Idaho.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:53 PM

6,333 posts, read 7,687,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenwings View Post
The movers and shakers in the political arena belong to a well establised religious organization which this forum bans people from mentioning. We are not allowed to say their name! Californians are naiive - they still havent figured out who owns and operates the state of Idaho.
There is no prohibition about mentioning or naming the Church of Later Day Saints. What is not allowed is bashing the church, its members, or its philosophy, religious or otherwise. As to if they "own and operate" the state of Idaho, lacking proof, it is a false, inaccurate, and incorrect statement; and will not be discussed here because it always leads to bickering, ill feelings, negativity, and solves absolutely nothing.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-04-2019, 08:58 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,516,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
There is no prohibition about mentioning or naming the Church of Later Day Saints. What is not allowed is bashing the church, its members, or its philosophy, religious or otherwise. As to if they "own and operate" the state of Idaho, lacking proof, it is a false, inaccurate, and incorrect statement; and will not be discussed here because it always leads to bickering, ill feelings, negativity, and solves absolutely nothing.
When a religion has been established in an area for a long time, the adherents of said religion form a fraternal culture. They tend to only help each other, only employ each other, only look after each other's children, only invite each other to events, only tell each other about opportunities that may arise, etc.

To someone on the outside, that can feel like there's a lock on the community, preventing other people from being a part of it.

I have seen the same things with the same group of people here in Southern California. I can only imagine what it must feel like to be in a state where they number 1/3rd of the population, as opposed to the 8% here.

If you are a retiree then, of course, this won't effect you as much.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:33 AM

29,177 posts, read 22,181,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
When a religion has been established in an area for a long time, the adherents of said religion form a fraternal culture. They tend to only help each other, only employ each other, only look after each other's children, only invite each other to events, only tell each other about opportunities that may arise, etc.

To someone on the outside, that can feel like there's a lock on the community, preventing other people from being a part of it.

I have seen the same things with the same group of people here in Southern California. I can only imagine what it must feel like to be in a state where they number 1/3rd of the population, as opposed to the 8% here.

If you are a retiree then, of course, this won't effect you as much.
The LDS aren't that exclusive here in my experience, but I'm sure what you say does happen among some of them in some places.

There are small towns here that are totally LDS or nearly so, but in any of the larger cities, and in lots of our small towns, there are quite often many members of other faiths who are free to live quite easily among the LDS.

Idaho is no different from Wyoming, Nevada, Oregon, Washington and Montana (and even Canada) in this. The LDS has strong communities in them all, but are very seldom such a large majority that they believe they can rule the roost. As an apostolic church, such actions would only harm their missionary effort.

In my experience, it's when the LDS are a smaller minority as a faith that those things you mention happen the most often. The same fraternal culture would naturally form in other minority religions as well. It's human nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area