Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2015, 04:34 PM

8 posts, read 19,116 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

We are looking to escape the dreadfully sub-arctic winters of NW Montana (a little snow and cold is OK - but much less than 5 months of the year is highly preferred). We are looking for some quaintness, definitely quiet, clean and a little space (rather than being packed-in).

I have been crunching numbers from various websites (including here) and I would appreciate some helpful info from real people about the greater Boise area. Specifically, what are people willing to share (positive and negative) about the following communities?

Caldwell
Nampa
Middleton
Star (somewhat higher housing costs here)
Eagle (looks quite pricey)
Kuna
Meridian
Garden City
and Boise

With somewhere around 400,000 people or more in this region, how is the traffic overall?

Our situation is a little unique in that we are searching for three separate residences (i.e. mobile homes or a triplex/fourplex situation) for about $200K or less total. Are there such possibilities amongst the above list?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 05:17 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,671,054 times
Um, search?

Old 02-02-2015, 07:50 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,344,184 times
The Boise Metropolitan Area actually has something around 650,000 peeps. If you are moving here from Montana you will notice a lot more traffic, but the severity of the traffic all depends on the town you choose to live or the area of Boise you choose to live in and if you have to drive with rush hour traffic or against it. I know a decent amount of people who've moved to Boise from Montana and they adjust and fit right in comfortably and you will probably have the same experience.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:17 PM

422 posts, read 571,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingNomad View Post
Greetings,

We are looking to escape the dreadfully sub-arctic winters of NW Montana (a little snow and cold is OK - but much less than 5 months of the year is highly preferred). We are looking for some quaintness, definitely quiet, clean and a little space (rather than being packed-in).

I have been crunching numbers from various websites (including here) and I would appreciate some helpful info from real people about the greater Boise area. Specifically, what are people willing to share (positive and negative) about the following communities?

Caldwell
Nampa
Middleton
Star (somewhat higher housing costs here)
Eagle (looks quite pricey)
Kuna
Meridian
Garden City
and Boise

With somewhere around 400,000 people or more in this region, how is the traffic overall?

Our situation is a little unique in that we are searching for three separate residences (i.e. mobile homes or a triplex/fourplex situation) for about $200K or less total. Are there such possibilities amongst the above list?

Thanks!
Comments IMO:
Caldwell Would not recommend city proper but outlying area would be preferable
Nampa: Very fast growing community (2nd largest in state I believe) we live about 5 miles south on 1 acre
Kuna Mayor that is attempting to improve the area. Attempting to make things better for the community. Wants to build a rec center for the kids.

no comments about the others you listed because I don't know enough about them

Old 02-06-2015, 06:53 PM

8 posts, read 19,116 times
Thank you Zed42 and TohobitPeak for your replies!

Old 02-07-2015, 10:44 PM

422 posts, read 571,970 times
Forgot to say that manufactured homes are available but they are normally outside the city limits. We put a manufactured home on our one acre. There could be restrictions on manufactured homes as well as mobile homes. Mobile homes are usually, but not always, found in mobile home parks within the city limits. I do not think you would want to invest 200k in a mobile home. In addition 200k is high for a manufactured home unless it is setting on acreage. In actuality anywhere in the Treasury Valley is nice, it all depends on your requirements.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:09 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,926,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zed42 View Post
Forgot to say that manufactured homes are available but they are normally outside the city limits. We put a manufactured home on our one acre. There could be restrictions on manufactured homes as well as mobile homes. Mobile homes are usually, but not always, found in mobile home parks within the city limits. I do not think you would want to invest 200k in a mobile home. In addition 200k is high for a manufactured home unless it is setting on acreage. In actuality anywhere in the Treasury Valley is nice, it all depends on your requirements.
I've been trying to find land online in the Nampa area that would allow a new manufactured home. Not having much luck. I found a 1/2 acre in Caldwell. It states that it is off Karcher Rd., north on Lake Ave., just past Homedale Rd. Do you know anything about that are? I found out yesterday that the Fleetwood Factory is in Nampa. I've been looking at homes, but I don't want an HOA and to buy a lot and build a home would be a bit more then I want to spend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area