Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 12:31 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxofid View Post
I have lived in Hidden Springs for five years and think it is great! This area is a "planned" community and was developed with some vision in mind.....unlike a lot of areas in the treasure valley. I was born and raised in Idaho and have lived out in the country on farms my whole life. Moving to Boise was a real big change for me that has been very positive because I chose to buy property in Hidden Springs. My backyard is a creek with old poplar trees and at night it is quiet and dark. No lights shining in my windows or people seeing inside my home. I love it! There are rules and an HOA which is there, not only keep to things nice around here, but plan community events and provide nice facilities for everyone to enjoy. Great concerts in the summer, two swimming pools, cafe, library, gardens, orchards, huge open grass lots, wetlands, hiking and biking trails, an antique barn for weddings and big occasions....it goes on and on. The commute to town is NOTHING! You can drive out of this hidden little valley three directions....one way takes you right to Harrison Blvd in minutes, one way takes you to Highway 55 up to Shadow Valley Golf Course or on to McCall; or down to Eagle in minutes. Down the hill to State Street and Glenwood is also just minutes away.....no stoplights anywhere just drive. There is a nice mix of people out here of all ages and walks of life. I think it is a great place to live.
I haven't swung out to Hidden Springs in quite awhile, but I wouldn't call the commute to town "nothing". It's at least 15-20 minutes to Harrison and probably the same to Eagle without much traffic, and both are somewhat arbitrary locations to base commute time on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 04:08 PM

23 posts, read 65,247 times
Just to correct a few comments...I didnt see anyone saying HS is in the mountains except a couple of folks who wanted to criticize it for not being in the mountains, too funny. You've got to travel to Garden Valley or Idaho City to be able to claim that you are in the mountains. And the landfill, you wont see, hear or smell it from HS. HS is over the hill from the landfill, upwind and updrainage (water wise), but then I've never heard of folks in Garden City or Boise (including the North End) or Eagle, who are actually downwind say anything about smells from the landfill.

Basically living there is for folks who want out of the typical urban neighborhood setting and live in a community that has the feel of a small town, some say Stepford, I would say Mayberry (when school lets all the kids walking and riding their bikes, buying candy at the Merc reminds of my childhood). Great for hiking and biking right out of your front door without the competition you find on many of the other trails which start out of Boise proper. Lots of open space, library, elementary and pre school, Merc (small grocery and cafe), two pools, community orchard, garden, historic farm with chickens, goats etc. There is a wide variety of house and lot sizes (mine is a 2400 sq foot ranch on 1/3 acre with a common areas on two sides). Almost all are high quality construction, energy star and arranged with gourmet kitchen which open to the living area which many want these days. One thing I would say is that you should check carefully in HS proper is that your crawl space is well drained because there can be problems due to clay soils and high water table in some areas.

You can use google maps and see for yourself what the drive is to downtown (15 to 20 minute to the capital) and nearby amenities (about 10 to 15 minutes to Winco, Albertsons, liquor store, restaurants, Home Depot, Pet Smart etc etc. What's nice though, is that there is very little traffic, lights, or stop signs to interupt, so you enjoy the drive more as opposed to driving through the city. There is no doubt that if you work at Micron (and many here do) you have a longer drive, but its all relative, for example you have a great head start on almost everyone else if you want to head out of town to Garden Valley, McCall etc.

Last edited by tbuchta; 01-04-2017 at 04:17 PM..

Old 08-14-2018, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,177 times
Like tbuchta pointed out, the Ada County Landfill is downwind, down drainage, and out of sight & sound from Hidden Springs. In fact, the landfill is the same distance to the center of Eagle as it is to HS. Thing is, Eagle and NW Boise sit below the landfill and are in the path of prevailing winds (~90% from the NW and SE) while HS is a few miles up and over a ridge to the NE. The two main gases emitted; Methane is lighter than air, so won't affect anyone, but Hydrogen Sulfide is heavier and can flow downhill. Except for the entrance being off Seamans Gulch Rd., you'd never even know it existed but thankfully for Eagle and NW Boise, it's a sanitary landfill using the latest technology including a gas collection vacuum system

Last edited by Sobo981; 08-14-2018 at 06:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area