U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 01:15 PM

4 posts, read 13,454 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me how much snow the Boise and Eagle area get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 01:19 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,103,251 times
Average snow fall is 21.4 inches for the metro area. In the past five years I've been here we've hit that amount once- the rest of the time it's been under that total. Currently we are having a good year and look to be headed towards that 21 inch total for the season.

Very easy to get around here, the snow has not been cumbersome at all. You might have a day here and there where it can be dicey but so far hasn't been a big deal.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:23 PM

4 posts, read 13,454 times
So, for these areas, what are the winter daytime temperature, and what month does it start warming up?

Old 01-16-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcribe View Post
So, for these areas, what are the winter daytime temperature, and what month does it start warming up?
Here's a link for you:
Boise's Climate

It seems to start warming up in March, though I can remember a few times- probably a fluke, of a few warm days in February.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:32 PM

Winter really isn't that bad here. The air is drier, so the cold is not a damp cold. The heavy snow seems to stay up in the mountains.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:49 PM

999 posts, read 1,976,160 times
Typically we get a snow shower, most of it melts, and some remains in the areas that don't get sun for a few weeks. We might get 6 or 8 snow showers a year, a week or two per month of a cold spell (in the mid 20's) during December, January, and Feb. And often we get rain instead of snow, depending on the year.

This year it's been a little cooler, and we've had closer to our average in snowfall. Most of it has currently melted away, though we're in a cold snap now.

Each winter month seems to have a handful of gorgeous, 40+ degree days for a day or two to tease us.

It's usually pretty windy during the winter, but this year it's been tame.

The roads tend to get pretty dangerous, however. I couldn't tell you if its the drivers or the roads that are bad, but we have a great deal of wrecks we deal with during the winter. It seems to just get worse and worse each year.

But yeah, the winters are generally pretty mild, if not a bit long and dismal (clouds and inversion).

Old 01-16-2008, 03:58 PM

2,678 posts, read 4,451,833 times
So where's the inversion this year?

Old 01-16-2008, 03:59 PM

999 posts, read 1,976,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
Yeah, it's been surprisingly tame. We've had it, just not as thick and prolonged as years past.

Knock on wood.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:23 PM

1,404 posts, read 2,476,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
According to family of mine who have grow up in this area, the inversions have not been bad at all this winter, only a few very mild inversions, because we are having what is almost considered a normal winter weather pattern. I really believe the reason why Boise has had bad short lived inversions the past years is because of the drought and the fact we would not have much wind in recent winters past. If the winter is normal with snow and storms as we have seen, then the pattern for an inversion is less likely. Hopefully the drought cycle is over and we have years with normal moisture.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:12 PM

5,569 posts, read 10,898,943 times
Syringaloid is right. The inversion tends to get dispersed when storms move through. The exception is that sometimes when an inversion is already well established, the storms will sometimes move right over top, and pass us by completely.

Boise used to actually get snowfall on a regular basis that would stick around. I remember growing up 20+ years ago, playing in the 6"-12" deep snow fairly often. In the last 15 years or so, on average, we tend to just get a few snowfalls that are worth getting the snow shovel out for, otherwise, its usually just a skiff now and then. Haven't looked at what the official numbers say, but I can't remember the last time we had more than 3-4" fall at a time at my house, or more than 6-8" total on the ground at any given time.

As Anchorless mentioned, we do have a lot of drivers who are not experienced with driving in the snow. Both because we have a lot of people moving in from other climates, and because we haven't had to deal with slick roads often ourselves in recent years. People tend to think that if they have snow tires or 4-wheel drive, they can drive on ice and not slide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area