Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 10:57 PM

11 posts, read 19,293 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I accepted a position at BSU so my family and I will be moving to Boise in 2 months! Our house in Humboldt County is in escrow and we need to find a home in Boise in May.

I would love some advice on neighborhoods. We are a family of 4 (one boy will be in Jr.high, the other 5th grade) and have a very active lifestyle. The north end would be convenient for running the trails and proximity to downtown and BSU but its pricey and we really don't want to downsize into a place with little yard.

So we'd like to be in a neighborhood with other kids, near places where kids practice/play soccer, in good school quadrants, near nice running paths/trails (fairly close to greenbelt), not any farther than 15 minutes from BSU, and in a hood where the neighbors aren't so close by that you can see in their windows.

I see a nice house in the Columbia Village area but worry that we'd feel like we were in the car driving all the time (back and forth to practices, etc.).

This feels like such a big decision given our home purchase will impact where the kids go to school and where we will establish community. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have read some previous posts and have been out there to visit so I have a basic sense of the different places to live; I just don't know what its like to live in the different areas to assess where we should be focusing our efforts. I will be out there the last week in May to house hunt.

All advice welcome! Thank you so much for reading.

TJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 11:29 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,681,481 times
You don't want to live in Columbia Village.

I'd suggest North Boise west of 28th - the lots are larger and hits all of your criteria. Also, look at SE Boise between Broadway east until about Law. You can also find some great places in the Central Rim area.

I wouldn't go further west than Ellens Ferry. I'd also stay away from the south and west Bench areas, South Boise, West Boise, and Garden City.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:06 AM

Thanks so much for your quick reply. Its very helpful. Would you mind letting me know why I wouldn't want to live in Columbia Village? Too far? I imagine the same would be true for Surprise Valley? Its tough because it seems like the more affordable, nicer homes are further out from Downtown.

Thank you!

Old 05-02-2015, 08:05 AM

863 posts, read 2,991,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs16 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I accepted a position at BSU so my family and I will be moving to Boise in 2 months! Our house in Humboldt County is in escrow and we need to find a home in Boise in May.

I would love some advice on neighborhoods. We are a family of 4 (one boy will be in Jr.high, the other 5th grade) and have a very active lifestyle. The north end would be convenient for running the trails and proximity to downtown and BSU but its pricey and we really don't want to downsize into a place with little yard.

So we'd like to be in a neighborhood with other kids, near places where kids practice/play soccer, in good school quadrants, near nice running paths/trails (fairly close to greenbelt), not any farther than 15 minutes from BSU, and in a hood where the neighbors aren't so close by that you can see in their windows.

I see a nice house in the Columbia Village area but worry that we'd feel like we were in the car driving all the time (back and forth to practices, etc.).

This feels like such a big decision given our home purchase will impact where the kids go to school and where we will establish community. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have read some previous posts and have been out there to visit so I have a basic sense of the different places to live; I just don't know what its like to live in the different areas to assess where we should be focusing our efforts. I will be out there the last week in May to house hunt.

All advice welcome! Thank you so much for reading.

TJ
You might find that Columbia Village has lot to offer you and fits your criteria as well.

1. Nice large planned neighborhood with lots of kids and families with variation in house plans and locations.
2. Recreation center with 3 pools, rec center, disc golf, playgrounds, BBQ area, common areas. Miles of walking paths and bike lanes, though I've not tried to connect to the greenbelt, its quite close. Easy access to Discovery Park and Lucky Peak reservoir, Botanical Gardens, State Penn, Shakespeare, etc.
3. Very easy access to downtown and BSU (15 mins) and the freeway (5 mins) if you want to go across town 15-20 mins to the mall by freeway.
4. Most major shopping needs within a couple mile radius that is NOT congested and you can make a left hand turn unlike some areas.
5. Schools - Trail Wind Elementary and Les Bois Jr High are within the subdivison. Timberline High is off Federal way and Apple. All rated very good.
6. Not every lot is huge but some are. Again you have access to a lot of fields, parks and common areas.
7.) The Simplot Soccer complex with soccer and baseball fields is right in the middle. Your kids could probably walk there. Additionally, where ever you DO live, you will do a lot of driving to meets and practices. It goes with kids and sports, but having one major soccer park in you neighborhood is a huge plus. Our kids could walk to many of their little league games and practices.

I'd avoid the central rim if it's the area I'm thinking of. It's what might be called "in transition" but it hasn't happened yet. To me it doesn't have family neighborhood appeal and certainly not the schools.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:13 AM

Wow. This is great information. Thank you. I appreciate the very helpful details!

Old 05-02-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs16 View Post
Wow. This is great information. Thank you. I appreciate the very helpful details!
You're welcome. It's at least worth checking out. Best to you!

Old 05-02-2015, 09:05 AM

742 posts, read 1,128,502 times
The quality of housing in Columbia Village is extremely subpar. Surprise Valley has nice homes; the majority of CV homes are cheap construction. It's why the prices out there are so low (comparatively).

Old 05-03-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
The quality of housing in Columbia Village is extremely subpar. Surprise Valley has nice homes; the majority of CV homes are cheap construction. It's why the prices out there are so low (comparatively).
Columbia Village was planned and development started in 1990 with money from JR Simplot. It was promoted as "affordable living" to support growth that was just starting in cluding Micron. So yes initial development was starter homes. There were several builders and it WAS the starting point of a now very successful builder with a reputation of low quality builds. They built several homes and were kicked out. So yes there are a few homes in the first phase of lower quality. The others were quality built homes. Starting about 1995 new builders began building step up homes.

Well after CV was started other higher end subdivisions were started such as Suprise Valley and Harris Ranch. Those homes started as upgraded and truly are nice, but out of our price range then and still are. As of the past number of years the homes in the newest sections of CV are very comparable in style, design and upgrades to SV. Just not ALL of them so those who are snobs may turn their nose up. SE Boise is desirable in many ways and average home prices range a bit higher than other parts of the valley for a comparable property. In our experience it's much easier to access the busineses and stores I need to go to on a daily basis, BSU, the North End and downtown, or hop on the freeway to get across town or HW21 for a quick escape and more.

Today there are now over 1800 homes built by MANY different builders. It's one of the if not the largest subdivision in the valley so there are a lot of people who see value to living here. Over the years I've spoken to several trusted and experienced Realtors who said the same thing. Columbia Village, or any other subdivision or part of town for that matter, may not suit everyone. You couldn't pay me to live in Meridian, or anywhere near the Village or Eagle Road. That said it is very nice, I used to work out there, just not my cup of tea. As was said different strokes.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:32 AM

122 posts, read 229,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso1979 View Post
Columbia Village was planned and development started in 1990 with money from JR Simplot. It was promoted as "affordable living" to support growth that was just starting in cluding Micron. So yes initial development was starter homes. There were several builders and it WAS the starting point of a now very successful builder with a reputation of low quality builds. They built several homes and were kicked out. So yes there are a few homes in the first phase of lower quality. The others were quality built homes. Starting about 1995 new builders began building step up homes.

Well after CV was started other higher end subdivisions were started such as Suprise Valley and Harris Ranch. Those homes started as upgraded and truly are nice, but out of our price range then and still are. As of the past number of years the homes in the newest sections of CV are very comparable in style, design and upgrades to SV. Just not ALL of them so those who are snobs may turn their nose up. SE Boise is desirable in many ways and average home prices range a bit higher than other parts of the valley for a comparable property. In our experience it's much easier to access the busineses and stores I need to go to on a daily basis, BSU, the North End and downtown, or hop on the freeway to get across town or HW21 for a quick escape and more.

Today there are now over 1800 homes built by MANY different builders. It's one of the if not the largest subdivision in the valley so there are a lot of people who see value to living here. Over the years I've spoken to several trusted and experienced Realtors who said the same thing. Columbia Village, or any other subdivision or part of town for that matter, may not suit everyone. You couldn't pay me to live in Meridian, or anywhere near the Village or Eagle Road. That said it is very nice, I used to work out there, just not my cup of tea. As was said different strokes.
Very informative, thanks! Reading the tenor of many posts, all of the newer developments are looked down upon over the North End & maybe the Foothills. However, everyone has different means, needs, and desires in housing and its great there are so many options.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:34 PM

[quote=BrianX;39469171] "all of the newer developments are looked down upon" quote]

I wouldn't put it that way. The "newer" developments are very popular and have wonderful, gorgeous homes. It's more that people have specific opinions on neighborhoods and the area. The Treasure Valley has a lot of variety in neighborhoods and places to live. People like different ones (or not) for MANY different reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area