Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 12:08 PM

109 posts, read 162,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBound2012 View Post
Depends on what you're looking for and how much $$ you have for a home. I found Nampa, and Star to be sweet. Nampa has more as far as amenities, but Star is close enough to Eagle (Star is a straight shot West of Eagle, about 8 miles) that it like the best of both worlds in a way; country and city.

As for safe, I've noted a multitude of people who leave their car windows down in parking lots, especially in this heat (several days of 100+). I wouldn't, but that's the Californian in me. :-)
I have a budget of about $300k and need a sizable house (5 bedroom) since we have a fairly large family. the main thing is finding one in a top schools district. The company I am interviewing with is located in Eagle, I am guessing that is the tech area? are there any areas that seem to be more prone to young families?

So how bad is the Anti-Californians attitude? We lived in Denver/Boulder for several years and found it to be pretty rough there too but it was always the less educated/affluent individuals one would choose not to be friends with anyway, so I never really cared. Idaho is one of the places we liked based on the ideal that there are like minded individuals (right leaning, christian, family oriented values).

Sorry, one more question when does the first snow usually hit there? From a move stand point I am guessing it would be ideal to get there before November, is that pretty accurate?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 02:05 PM

285 posts, read 536,983 times
A budget of $300K would not be much in Eagle. It would be tough now even in some areas of Meridian for a large house. But Meridian is one of the better areas for a young family with children. Being way beyond school kids (age wise), I hear that West Ada School District (includes Meridian and Eagle) is OK.

I don't know that I'd call Eagle the center of the Tech Area around Boise. Chips at Micron are East Boise, HP is in W. Boise, near Meridian. Software, I suspect is more spread out. So you would need to investigate based on your definition of Tech.

Your like minded individuals definition will find a lot of like minded people. Meridian is definitely conservative leaning. The folks I know in Eagle are also, but since I am also, I don't hang with liberals, so I can't say for sure about Eagle. The attitude towards Californians is definitely based on a resistance to them making ID like CA, leftist and big government.I am a former CA, via OR, and We ran from both states because the leftist ideals they keep pushing on people. Big taxes don't help either. So I guess I am like a reformed smoker who can be the most bow-necked about Californians who want us to be more like what they left.

Ah, snow. Yes, I would say, based on my limited years here, that it is a good idea to be in house before certainly the middle of Nov. But we have had a sudden snow storm that strikes in late Oct. to Mid Nov, that gave enough snow to need plowing. But I would say that probability is less than 50%, as we used to time our leaving for our winter home, based on the Wx forecast and usually end of Oct. was our mean departure date. So, if you are a probability based kind of decsion maker, I would bet on an Indian Summer kind of Oct.

Best wishers for your planned move.

Last edited by Carlyee3; 07-05-2015 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 07-06-2015, 07:53 AM

742 posts, read 1,122,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyee3 View Post
The attitude towards Californians is definitely based on a resistance to them making ID like CA, leftist and big government.I am a former CA, via OR, and We ran from both states because the leftist ideals they keep pushing on people. Big taxes don't help either. So I guess I am like a reformed smoker who can be the most bow-necked about Californians who want us to be more like what they left.
Um, this isn't it at all, unless you're talking about people who just recently moved from California who don't want to see Boise or Idaho change into the very things they are fleeing from.

Most Idaho residents carry certain attitudes toward Californians because they're coming, simple as that. Often there are certain attitudes, behaviors, naivete, that are associated with Californians, but truth be told all of the people I know from California are far nicer and friendlier than the Idahoans I know.

It's certainly not a leftist/liberal thing; this is the biggest misperception on this forum and only shows an ignorance toward Idaho history. Idaho's politics are being recreated precisely because of the people moving here, not because of the people that were here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyee3 View Post
Ah, snow. Yes, I would say, based on my limited years here, that it is a good idea to be in house before certainly the middle of Nov. But we have had a sudden snow storm that strikes in late Oct. to Mid Nov, that gave enough snow to need plowing. But I would say that probability is less than 50%, as we used to time our leaving for our winter home, based on the Wx forecast and usually end of Oct. was our mean departure date. So, if you are a probability based kind of decsion maker, I would bet on an Indian Summer kind of Oct.

Best wishers for your planned move.
It hasn't snowed in October in the Boise area for quite some time; I really can't remember when the last time was.

Last year we had an early snowfall in mid November that caused some havoc, and it was particularly heavy. Usually that sort of snowfall comes in mid December, but there have been years where it doesn't come until January.

Usually late October through November you'll get a mix of pleasant weather, rain, and some very light snow (in November). The cold weather comes in fully in December and will drop to the mid 20's or below, possibly even to around zero. The inversions will roll in at this time, too... and things will stay cold, dark, and icy through January until Feb. Snow storms may or may not come (who knows anymore). You can typically count on 2-3 good snowstorms a year (where the snow actually accumulates). Typically by February the sun starts to come out, the weather perks up a bit to the high 30's / low 40's, and the inversion blows off. Expect chilly intermittent weather though April.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:15 PM

879 posts, read 2,848,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
It's certainly not a leftist/liberal thing; this is the biggest misperception on this forum and only shows an ignorance toward Idaho history. Idaho's politics are being recreated precisely because of the people moving here, not because of the people that were here.

Some of Idaho's most successful and prominent politicians were Democrats. The California waves of the 90s and mid 2000s have changed things. Californians moving to Idaho are generally not Liberals, quite the opposite (just look at this board). Anyone who isn't a far right Conservative would probably be scared away from Idaho if they looked at this board.

Interestingly enough, I did just read something which surprised me that the largest group of Californians moving to Idaho are in their 20s/30s. Who knows their political beliefs but generally younger folks tend to be more liberal - or from my experience simply apathetic.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:53 PM

3 posts, read 4,539 times
So... how is the internet speeds in Boise? My family and I are also looking to relocate and so far Boise is at the top of our list. But I run an online business and my husband is a heavy internet user as well. Can we have multiple devices streaming at one time?

Thanks!!!

Old 07-06-2015, 02:10 PM

742 posts, read 1,122,125 times
Slower than advertised and probably slower than what you'll find on the average in California, but you can find 100 mbps here.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:35 PM

160 posts, read 250,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizmom2014 View Post
So... how is the internet speeds in Boise?
I've had Cable One for 10 years now, and it's like greased lightning and it never goes down. Not ever. Can't speak about the service/tech support, because I've never needed it … Not ever.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:54 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,806,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T M H View Post
I've had Cable One for 10 years now, and it's like greased lightning and it never goes down. Not ever. Can't speak about the service/tech support, because I've never needed it … Not ever.

Wow an actual real live 'satisfied' cable customer,lol! Maybe Idaho is worth moving to just to get Cable One service!

Old 07-09-2015, 11:10 AM

731 posts, read 951,905 times
I've had Cable One since Feb., pretty much the same speeds as TW provided in S. California. Haven't had any problems yet, hope that continues.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:13 AM

731 posts, read 951,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelfan760 View Post
I have a budget of about $300k and need a sizable house (5 bedroom) since we have a fairly large family. the main thing is finding one in a top schools district. The company I am interviewing with is located in Eagle, I am guessing that is the tech area? are there any areas that seem to be more prone to young families?

So how bad is the Anti-Californians attitude? We lived in Denver/Boulder for several years and found it to be pretty rough there too but it was always the less educated/affluent individuals one would choose not to be friends with anyway, so I never really cared. Idaho is one of the places we liked based on the ideal that there are like minded individuals (right leaning, christian, family oriented values).

Sorry, one more question when does the first snow usually hit there? From a move stand point I am guessing it would be ideal to get there before November, is that pretty accurate?

Thank you!
I just did a search on available homes in Eagle, 5 bedroom, under $300K. One listing came up (not a realtor, just using a realtors website).

Here is the address, this will give you some idea of what may be available when you're ready:

2663 E Alpomado St
Eagle, ID 83616
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area