Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 12:17 AM

160 posts, read 252,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia M View Post
People keep mentioning the North End, which looks like a beautiful neighborhood, but it looks somewhat expensive.
The North End is an area, not a neighborhood. There are some nice neighborhoods there, and some that are downright scary - it's a mixed bag. Most folks in Boise consider the "North End" the area around Hyde Park, the Boise Co-op, and/or the residential areas surrounding Harrison Blvd. south of Hill Road. If you search the MLS website from my other post, you won't find a "north end" MLS area, only "north." The "north end" is WITHIN that area. It's complicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 12:21 AM

160 posts, read 252,222 times
Boise is great for bikes - especially on the greenbelt.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:23 AM

102 posts, read 118,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T M H View Post
The North End is an area, not a neighborhood. There are some nice neighborhoods there, and some that are downright scary - it's a mixed bag. Most folks in Boise consider the "North End" the area around Hyde Park, the Boise Co-op, and/or the residential areas surrounding Harrison Blvd. south of Hill Road. If you search the MLS website from my other post, you won't find a "north end" MLS area, only "north." The "north end" is WITHIN that area. It's complicated.
OK, good to know.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:24 AM

102 posts, read 118,095 times
Quote:
Boise is great for bikes - especially on the greenbelt.
The Greenbelt looks really nice!

Old 06-24-2015, 07:46 AM

731 posts, read 958,430 times
Quote:
SE Boise is LOADED with great places to walk, grab a burger, beer, coffee, yogurt, pizza, or just about anything, including groceries.

ParkCenter has Barbacoa restaurant, Red Robin and a great Mexican restaurant, La Tapatia. A couple blocks further south near Mallard there is Smokey Mountain Pizza and several other restaurants, sandwich shops, coffee spots and a bar.

A half mile further down ParkCenter at Apple is Albertsons that’s surround by frozen yogurt, Pizza Hut, Zeppole’s bakery/lunch counter (fabulous), a liquor store, another coffee shop, Gordman’s department store, two pharmacies, a Thai restaurant, Dairy Queen, Blimpies, Starbucks, McDonalds wine shop, West Side Drive-In and more … all just a few minutes from the greenbelt.

Continue south on ParkCenter less than two miles and there is “Bown Crossing.†A library branch is scheduled to begin construction there next year, right near Bier Thirty Bistro, Boise Fry Company, The Tavern at Bown Crossing, Flatbread Pizza, Locavore restaurant and Powell’s Sweet Shoppe (a “fun shopâ€).

SE Boise is a neighborhood walker’s dream come true. When you get tired of strolling through the River Run area or down ParkCenter Blvd., pop over to the greenbelt for a while.

I love this area! Stayed in a condo there when visiting several years ago, very walkable, with a lot of nice stores/shops for what the OP is looking for. And yes, Zeppole's is fabulous!

Old 06-24-2015, 08:04 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,445 times
Quote:
What part of the Northend could you possibly consider "downright scary"?

Old 06-24-2015, 08:05 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
The Northend is actually the name of a historic district/neighbhorhood.

This is from the web link below:

The Northend - Boise's historic neighborhood online, schools, politics, real estate, history, hyde park, and more
The Northend is predominantly designated a City Historic District through a process called an overlay district. There are 3 districts within the Northend - Harrison Boulevard, Hyde Park and an area that extends from the Military Reserve to North 26th and Hill Road to Fort Street.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:07 AM

719 posts, read 1,567,305 times
The Bench has a lot dicer neighborhoods than anything in the North End, and that's what the blog meant when it said the area was "up and coming." When a realtor starts throwing stuff like that out, it's best to keep your eyes peeled and your head on a swivel. Parts of the Bench are great and a lot of the homes have some really cool character. But there are also trailer parks and really run down areas. It's worth cross checking any home against the SO Registry and crime map.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:12 AM

719 posts, read 1,567,305 times
If I worked downtown, the area I'd like to live would probably be off Parkcenter, but not too far out. There are both older and newer neighborhoods, but you'd be real close to downtown and it would all be very walkable. It's Boise and you'd still be needing a car, but I think that's a nice area. It is one of the pricer areas in Boise. Just my opinion, but if you're going to move out as far as the Harris Ranch area, you've kind of missed the point of living in that close-in pocket east of downtown. Some of the areas off Warm Springs are worth checking out too, again not too far out. If the budget is a little too tight in those areas, you can start heading west on State Street and still have reasonable access, or of course there's the Bench.

Those are the areas I'd target if I had your list of priorities and a job downtown.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:13 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
What part of the Northend could you possibly consider "downright scary"?
I was wondering that too. I can't think of anywhere in the Northend that is like that. Maybe there's an enclave of nudist hippies somewhere between Harrison and 22nd I don't know of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area