U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 06:44 PM

695 posts, read 691,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
Nampa isn't going to have less traffic unless you're coming from a much larger city. If you're looking in the Boise area and you want "less traffic," you need to look to Emmett, Caldwell, Middleton, etc. Maybe Kuna if you're not commuting.

Nampa and Meridian are busy busy busy. Arguably as busy or busier than Boise.
???

Nampa traffic is busier than Boise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 04:51 PM

228 posts, read 477,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBound2012 View Post
???

You beat me to it!!! I don't know what part of Nampa is "busy, busy, busy", but I sure haven't been there yet.

From my house in Nampa to most of the medical centers downtown is like 24 miles, and I can remember only once in the past 4 years where it too me more than about 35-40 minutes.....and that was in a snowstorm with a huge pile-up on I-84 last year. Normal time is about 30 minutes. I'm retired, so I don't do that drive every day, or even every week, but I've certainly done it enough to get a feel for the driving.

As for around town in Nampa, the only time I seem to run into a back-up of any kind is either construction or at a 4-way stop intersection where everyone is being so polite ("after you", "no, after you", "no, please go ahead", etc). The Nampa evening rush hour seems to run from about 4:30 to 4:45, and maybe stretch to 4:50 or so on a bad day.

No, Nampa traffic is not busier than Boise....or Eagle....or Meridian.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:18 PM

335 posts, read 280,976 times
I think N Eagle road is one of the worst around here.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:24 PM

695 posts, read 691,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdoo View Post
I think N Eagle road is one of the worst around here.
Ditto, and downtown Boise gets pretty bad too.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:59 PM

91 posts, read 123,452 times
The freeway system out here confuses me a bit. Never seen a freeway where you can go left to encounter another freeway or street. Starting to realize I need to follow the graphics on my GPS before I follow the names of the streets.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:00 AM

742 posts, read 837,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBound2012 View Post
???

Well, arguably.

I don't spend a lot of time in Nampa, so it might just be a snapshot thing, but Caldwell Blvd, 12th St., and Garrity are always such clusters. Probably not as much as State St. or Fairview in Boise, but you can't argue it's getting way worse than it was even 5 years ago...

Old 08-03-2015, 09:12 AM

8,043 posts, read 23,705,086 times
Not one person arguing about the "We have water" comment?

We don't have as severe a drought as California, to be sure, but we are also experiencing a fairly significant drought. Subdivisions all over have been rationing their irrigation water, to try to make it last as long as possible. Two years ago, water was shut off nearly a month earlier than usual, and I wouldn't be surprised if that happens again this fall.

Southwestern Idaho is a desert outside of immediate area of the rivers, never forget that.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:26 AM

708 posts, read 1,155,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Not one person arguing about the "We have water" comment?

We don't have as severe a drought as California, to be sure, but we are also experiencing a fairly significant drought. Subdivisions all over have been rationing their irrigation water, to try to make it last as long as possible. Two years ago, water was shut off nearly a month earlier than usual, and I wouldn't be surprised if that happens again this fall.

Southwestern Idaho is a desert outside of immediate area of the rivers, never forget that.
Southwest Idaho is a desert, but about 90% of the State of Idaho drains into the Snake system, and Idaho's mountains catch a ton of snow and rain every winter. As water goes in the west, Idaho is in really good shape. In fact I think this is one reason the population here is going to really grow in coming years.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:27 AM

Excellent point.

They're proposed to add 75 feet to Arrowrock dam to meet future storage needs. It would flood further up the Middle Fork and South Fork of the Boise River.

Conservation groups are trying to get the stakeholders to forgo raising the dam and to implement water conservation / restriction measures instead. More xeroscaping, controlled water days and irrigation times, etc. We're more like Vegas and Phoenix than we are midwestern cities that can tolerate large green lawns year round.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaD View Post
Southwest Idaho is a desert, but about 90% of the State of Idaho drains into the Snake system, and Idaho's mountains catch a ton of snow and rain every winter. As water goes in the west, Idaho is in really good shape. In fact I think this is one reason the population here is going to really grow in coming years.
This is debatable.

But it also really depends. The more agriculture and industry you exchange for residential development, you actually do save water. So you're right that Idaho can add a lot of growth and still be okay for water.

However, I wouldn't say we're in good shape. There have been years (quite recently) that junior water right holders have had their water cut because there hasn't been enough water in the system. The Snake River Aquifer is becoming increasingly stressed and depleted. Our winter snows have come and melted early, which complicates the storage and delivery issues.

But certainly we're in better shape than California, Utah, Nevada, and Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area