U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 03:47 PM

879 posts, read 2,484,968 times

Advertisements

I don't know. I lived in Idaho for 18 years and I've never seen the sheets of rain you get from monsoonal moisture or a fresh off the Pacific storm. I guess downpour is subjective?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 04:31 PM

708 posts, read 1,147,732 times
I'm thinking of thunderstorms in the spring and summer we get every year that well up over the desert and then come drop a bunch of rain all at once.

Wet Thursday brings hail and lightning to Lake Lowell, flooding to Boise neighborhood | Weather | Idahostatesman.com

Old 08-11-2015, 05:09 PM

742 posts, read 832,089 times
It doesn't rain as hard here as it does, say, in the Midwest or New England. But perhaps it rains harder than the drizzle that many places like Oregon, Washington (and Hawaii, by the by) often get.

The summer rains here are nice. They seem to be a bit more frequent than in the past.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:22 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,603,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaD View Post
I'm thinking of thunderstorms in the spring and summer we get every year that well up over the desert and then come drop a bunch of rain all at once.

Wet Thursday brings hail and lightning to Lake Lowell, flooding to Boise neighborhood | Weather | Idahostatesman.com
You are correct, the thunderstorms have been intense this summer, some of the hardest I can remember in recent memory.

I've got a video on my smartphone of my street in the Northend that became a river, almost a foot deep from that huge storm last month. There were several rain falls like that too last month.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:49 PM

43 posts, read 39,843 times
I can notice the dryness when I have been up visiting, but I find that using a little more lotion in the morning and evening, and lots of chapstick and water and I'm fine.

I think the dryness makes it feel hotter for me than here in California, at least when its really hot. So I might have to get used the that. The sunshine just feels very oppressive to me, but everyone seems to like it just fine, so I guess I can adapt too.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:10 AM

695 posts, read 687,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningfromCalifornia View Post
I think the dryness makes it feel hotter for me than here in California, at least when its really hot. So I might have to get used the that. The sunshine just feels very oppressive to me, but everyone seems to like it just fine, so I guess I can adapt too.
Just the opposite for me, the humidity in CA makes it feel hotter there.

I was a little "afraid" of the reported high temps here, anything over 100 gave me pause when considering relocation. But, so far, when it's broken 100 here this summer, it doesn't feel like it to me, because of the dryness. That being said, when there are summer storms, the humidity is higher.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:02 AM

43 posts, read 39,843 times
Maybe I'm just used to the humidity here. When I travel to other places, like when we visit friends in Iowa and New Hampshire, the humidity is much more noticeable and overwhelming. I find Boise to be a bit more like Palm Springs or Phoenix, though not nearly as hot. But maybe the difference I'm noticing is not the dry heat but the elevation???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area