U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 01:23 PM

91 posts, read 122,121 times

Advertisements

Just pulled into town a few days ago. I moved to Boise from Orange County, CA. Lived there all my life.

For those of you who came from So Cal to Boise....how long did it take you to acclimate to the area?

Boise is ‎2,730 feet above sea level and the climate is dry vs. the humid climate and sea level elevation of So Cal.

I got a bit of a stomach ache over the past few days (indigestion? probably in part due to eating fast food due to me not having kitchen utensils/etc purchased yet....just bought $400 worth of kitchen crap today at Target) and not hungry (normally I eat like an elephant). I also am feeling like I need to drink a ton of water.

thanks

Also, generally speaking, does the hot weather usually last until mid-August....then it starts to get back to reasonable temperatures? That's what some cashier girl told me today. I'm not a big fan of hot weather, I like my weather cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 06:20 PM

695 posts, read 686,634 times
I arrived late Feb. this year, mild weather for winter. Colder, obviously, than now...but not that cold. I did however feel like I wanted to install a humidifier contraption on my heater, the dryness and static electricity (my poor dogs!) got to me for a month or so.

Not so much now, I've learned a few tricks to help, and I think my body has acclimated some too.

1st, the obvious - stay hydrated. Keep a cup or bottle of water with you, sip all day. Keep water in your car, work, take one to bed, etc. I even purchased several small plant mister-type spray bottles to use inside and out. On hot days (90+), between the heat, the sun and the dryness, you will dry out MUCH faster than you anticipate.

The not so obvious - I've also learned to keep good chapstick (I like Burt's Bees Pomegranate as it's not "cakey") and hand lotion handy (purse/car/bedroom/office/kitchen). I use coconut oil for lotion too. Static electricity can be interesting! Light show at night every time you turn over, if you have the right type blankets! Again, my poor dogs. If you have indoor plants, they can dry out just as quickly as you do. Outdoor plants can dry out/die within one day if not watered properly.

You will find a good variety small humidifiers ($40 and less) for sale at most stores, there is a reason for this. :-)

However, if you don't want to leave an appliance plugged in all day, or hot water simmering on the stove, try the following. It's cheap and works pretty good.

Buy a few new terracotta planting pots no bigger than, say 8" diameter.

Buy plastic, waterproof "drip-trays" for each pot (cheapo clear plastic ones at Target/Walmart), or use anything that will fit the rim of the pot, and is water proof.

Invert the pot (upside down) on the drip tray and add water to the drip tray. The pot will soak up the water and allow it to easily evaporate into the air. Keep the tray filled with water, and clean it once in a while so it's not growing crud. One of these in each bedroom and the living area *will* make a difference. If you are female, you can make the pot *cutesy* to match the interior of the room, just remember not to cover the surface too much, as you need exposed terracotta to absorb and release the moisture.

I've not experienced a full Winter yet, but am assuming the above will still apply.

Welcome to Idaho!

Old 08-02-2015, 07:31 PM

Wow, thanks for the tips! I moved away from CA to avoid the humidity...but the plant idea sounds like a cool thing. Will give it a shot.

Other than that, I counted 4 people (random strangers on the street) who said hello to me and the manager of a supermarket was super cool. Turns out he bailed from California 15 years ago as well.

I'm trying my hardest to be nice to people and not unintentionally come off as a "California a-hole". I realize that by living there all my life, I subconsciously picked up on a few things that might make me seem "stuck up" or whatever. I'm not stuck up. Just trying to unlearn bad habits.

Still not sure what to make of Boise....too early to tell. Kinda sorta has a small town feel. Not sure if good/bad or it is what it is...

The air smells clean. The heat sucks, but supposedly supposed to cool down tomorrow. Got a nice view of the foothills from my master bedroom. Should be scenic in the winter/fall time.

<<edit>> The system says I cannot give you any more rep until I give it to someone else. But thanks again for the tips!

Old 08-03-2015, 09:03 AM

742 posts, read 830,734 times
Surprisingly, the dryness will be more of an issue in the winter. That's when you'll want the humidifier and to use a lot of skin lotion. I had a gf once who would get cracked skins on her hands because of the dryness. It will sometimes affect my lips and nose, but not horrible. Use lots of chapstick.

You got a lucky year thus far. It's not been overwhelmingly hot. I think we have a gorgeous fall coming up.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:48 AM

879 posts, read 2,483,480 times
Yeah, my skin freaks out when I leave SoCal in winter and arrive in Idaho for the holidays. Cracking, bleeding, and pretty painful actually. I had gunky lotion hands all the time to cope. Winters were pretty uncomfortable for me. But that's just me.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:05 PM

145 posts, read 164,495 times
curious to learn more about this myself........

Old 08-08-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
Surprisingly, the dryness will be more of an issue in the winter. That's when you'll want the humidifier and to use a lot of skin lotion. I had a gf once who would get cracked skins on her hands because of the dryness. It will sometimes affect my lips and nose, but not horrible. Use lots of chapstick.

You got a lucky year thus far. It's not been overwhelmingly hot. I think we have a gorgeous fall coming up.
Just got back from Farmer's Market....driving down....forget which street and I happened to look at the pinky knuckle on my right hand.....it's so cracked and blistered that it's going to start bleeding any day now. Apparently dry weather wrecks havoc on my skin. Will be buying some of that lotion.

Already forcing myself to hydrate and after 1 week I think I'm sufficiently acclimated to the (minor) elevation of Boise vs. sea level where I came from. Appetite is back (and then some) and starting to really like this city and the people within. Still not sure what to make of it all....

Old 08-08-2015, 10:33 PM

19 posts, read 17,756 times
Please keep posting, and from a AZ. Girl learn to love water, and maybe get some spider plants and ferns for your house, they really help humidify the air.....it gets so bad here in the winter, at night I put 2-3" of water in my master bath tub and allow it to evaporate into my room....it helps! You will find little things help ...also the coconut oil is a great hint, right after the shower and about 15 minutes before clothes on....start cooking with it too, load up on it at local store, no need to get fancy.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:45 AM

12 posts, read 10,901 times
Just moved from Norcal in April, and my hands are still dry. I don't regularly apply lotion however, but when I do it gets better.

Didn't have any stomach issues, but exercise (mountain biking) took a little adjustment with the elevation difference, about a week or so.

Honestly, my wife and I were acclimated almost immediately, we couldn't wait to get out of CA, so we just took everything as it came. Everyone has been insanely friendly, and we haven't experienced any hostility based on where we are from. I sell cars for a living, and customers are mostly congratulatory on getting out of CA, heck, a lot of them are from CA, some even from my home town!

Old 08-10-2015, 01:51 PM

695 posts, read 686,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garciawork View Post
Just moved from Norcal in April, and my hands are still dry. I don't regularly apply lotion however, but when I do it gets better.

Didn't have any stomach issues, but exercise (mountain biking) took a little adjustment with the elevation difference, about a week or so.

Honestly, my wife and I were acclimated almost immediately, we couldn't wait to get out of CA, so we just took everything as it came. Everyone has been insanely friendly, and we haven't experienced any hostility based on where we are from. I sell cars for a living, and customers are mostly congratulatory on getting out of CA, heck, a lot of them are from CA, some even from my home town!

Welcome! I got here late Feb. and have had very similar experience, funny how when you leave someplace you really don't like, you are so happy that even the things you may not like about your new home, are minimal! "-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area