Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 09:04 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,918,830 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

Is Boise a fairly intellectual city? By "intellectual", I not only mean formally educated, although that is part of the equation, but I'm referring more generally to rational, scientifically-minded people who tend to be independent, forward-thinking critical thinkers, rather than followers and TV junkies and super-religious. I suspect Boise is like many mid-sized cities with universities, but I also know that Idaho overall is a very conservative state which, to be perfectly honest, tends to coincide with anti-intellectualism (religious fundamentalism, racism, homophobia,and such).

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:19 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,442,076 times
IMHO, people are super nice here (some of the friendliest and most genuine in the country) but as far as intellectual presence goes Boise is no Boston, Berkley, DC, etc... if you catch my drift... Idaho is one of the most conservative, homogenous and religious states in the country.

It's a beautiful place but if you're looking for an intellectual city, I'd suggest to search elsewhere.

Last edited by Flavia84; 08-05-2015 at 12:32 AM..

Old 08-05-2015, 01:12 AM

605 posts, read 490,892 times
Intellectual cities are in tragically short supply.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:46 AM

742 posts, read 1,128,502 times
OP: Compared to what?

I think these sorts of questions are always difficult to answer. You'll find some posters that will scurge up all sorts of pomp pieces about how Boise is a "creative class" city and "entrepreneurs flock here," but there's no real weight to that dross.

At the same time, those who might point to Idaho's extremely low education performance metrics, low college attendance and completion, the relatively poor performance of Boise State University (and, frankly, University of Idaho as well), and suggest the area suffers from "brain drain" probably aren't fully capturing Boise's makeup in this regard either.

I'd say that: we're still a very small town, that's not quite a college town, not quite a cosmopolitan, world class city, and not quite a cultural center of any regard. On the other hand, that's not to say we don't have talent, progression, creativity, intellectualism, or that we don't bring in the sort of cultural experiences that foster those things. It just happens on a lesser scale and less frequently than larger cities.

I would say that Idaho, by and large, indulges in that sort of "anti-intellectualism" that seems to spring from certain political bents - a distrust of academics and academia, of science, of progressivism - and instead relies more on folk wisdom, tradition and traditionalism, faith, and the oh-so-nebulous "common sense." Really, it's more endemic of the rugged individualism and dislike of the state (and all of its arms) than it is anything else.

All of that said, the only way to truly answer this question is to provide bases of comparison. I would definitely say Boise is less "intellectual" than virtually all cities larger than it - Seattle, Portland, SF, LA, SLC, Denver, Phoenix, et al - and probably a lot of true college towns of roughly the same size - Madison, Boulder, Eugene, et al. But Boise probably fares comparably to places like Spokane, Des Moines, Missoula, Fort Collins, Sacramento, et al, being a cultural, political, and intellectual center of a region.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:14 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Boise has a lot of transplants from other states who also bring their life experiences and education and entrepreneurial spirit with them. For instance the % of people with a Bachelor's degree or higher in Boise is similar to the % in SLC, Portland, higher than Spokane but Seattle wins the region in that regard. I've lived in SLC and Portland and I do not feel they are more intellectual than Boise (especially SLC, Boiseans are more engaging and open minded imo) , but this topic is so subjective. For example, Boise has a fair amount of incubator start up facilities and a lot of really smart people live here and create their own companies.

Question for the OP, you mention "scientifically-minded people" and seem to look down on religious people. Are you looking for an area with more atheist or agnostic people?

Boise is a surprisingly progressive little city, like an island surrounded by a turbulent red sea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
Hi folks,

Is Boise a fairly intellectual city? By "intellectual", I not only mean formally educated, although that is part of the equation, but I'm referring more generally to rational, scientifically-minded people who tend to be independent, forward-thinking critical thinkers, rather than followers and TV junkies and super-religious. I suspect Boise is like many mid-sized cities with universities, but I also know that Idaho overall is a very conservative state which, to be perfectly honest, tends to coincide with anti-intellectualism (religious fundamentalism, racism, homophobia,and such).

Thanks in advance.
The sentence I bolded above can really apply to any state or city in this county no matter how "progressive" they are thought to be. For example you're not going to find the amount of racism in Idaho as you are in Chicago, NYC, LA, and other large cities in the USA.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:39 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,706,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
OP: Compared to what?

I think these sorts of questions are always difficult to answer. You'll find some posters that will scurge up all sorts of pomp pieces about how Boise is a "creative class" city and "entrepreneurs flock here," but there's no real weight to that dross.

At the same time, those who might point to Idaho's extremely low education performance metrics, low college attendance and completion, the relatively poor performance of Boise State University (and, frankly, University of Idaho as well), and suggest the area suffers from "brain drain" probably aren't fully capturing Boise's makeup in this regard either.

I'd say that: we're still a very small town, that's not quite a college town, not quite a cosmopolitan, world class city, and not quite a cultural center of any regard. On the other hand, that's not to say we don't have talent, progression, creativity, intellectualism, or that we don't bring in the sort of cultural experiences that foster those things. It just happens on a lesser scale and less frequently than larger cities.

I would say that Idaho, by and large, indulges in that sort of "anti-intellectualism" that seems to spring from certain political bents - a distrust of academics and academia, of science, of progressivism - and instead relies more on folk wisdom, tradition and traditionalism, faith, and the oh-so-nebulous "common sense." Really, it's more endemic of the rugged individualism and dislike of the state (and all of its arms) than it is anything else.

All of that said, the only way to truly answer this question is to provide bases of comparison. I would definitely say Boise is less "intellectual" than virtually all cities larger than it - Seattle, Portland, SF, LA, SLC, Denver, Phoenix, et al - and probably a lot of true college towns of roughly the same size - Madison, Boulder, Eugene, et al. But Boise probably fares comparably to places like Spokane, Des Moines, Missoula, Fort Collins, Sacramento, et al, being a cultural, political, and intellectual center of a region.
This summary nails it, IMO. The only other thing I'd add is that for the most part people in Boise are less likely to engage in discussions about "intellectual" topics, regardless of their education, as they are their most recent weekend camping or fishing trip, kids, or the conditions at Bogus.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:42 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Boise is a relaxed city, people aren't snooty or look down on each other. Most seem to get along regardless of how intellectual they are.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
OP:
That makes good sense, thanks.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:08 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
hi, NC..
I lived in the Boise area for several years, and attended college at the College of Idaho (among others). In my experience, Boise is as intellectual as any city of its size I've ever been in, and more so than some.

Idahoans just don't make a big deal about their smarts. It's unseemly. But my home state is full of ver smart people, and has a long tradition of producing writers, poets, engineers, and other intellectuals. Ezra Pound was a native, as was Philo Farnsworth, the farm boy who invented television. And those two are just for starters. Boise has plenty of 'em, as does every other 'large' city here. Many have moved here as well from other places, as peace, solitude and beautiful surroundings are all inspirational.

Don't let the red neck fool ya for a second. That's just our roots showing.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
This summary nails it, IMO. The only other thing I'd add is that for the most part people in Boise are less likely to engage in discussions about "intellectual" topics, regardless of their education, as they are their most recent weekend camping or fishing trip, kids, or the conditions at Bogus.
That's a good description, thanks. I think what you're saying is that someone like myself, who is more inquisitive and philosophically-minded, is probably not going find many kindred spirits in Boise. Of course, I like to camp, hike, and fish as well, but I'm also very curious by nature, and enjoy engaging with others on a more intellectual level as well. While I appreciate the "live and let live" mentality, I need to be around other deep thinkers to feel at home; everybody needs their tribe. Thanks again for the candid feedback.

Last edited by NC_Paddler; 08-05-2015 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: fixed typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: