Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 12:53 PM

14 posts, read 34,620 times

Advertisements

Hey I know there are a lot of threads like this but I want to gather as much information as I can about Boise! I currently live in Houston Texas and the crime is getting ridiculous and I have a 10 month old that I want to grow up without fear of break ins, robberies, or worse. What are some good areas to look at? I have just listed my home and will have around 40k to put down on a house. Im looking for a 3 bedroom with a good size back yard. I am a bank teller and my husband works on cars. Is it difficult to find jobs here? The only bad thing I've really heard about Boise have been the inversions. How long do they last and what months do they occur in? Also strange question but is the grass soft? Are you able to run around in bare feet? Here in Houston the grass is hard and brittle and you can't walk on it without feet of cuts or bugs and snakes. I want my daughter to be able to run in the grass and play. Are there any bad things I should know about? Bad areas? Is there always outdoor activities in all seasons? Any help would be appreciated!! I am planning on visiting with my mother for 3 days in a few months to get a feel for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 01:15 PM

335 posts, read 376,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalyticalowl View Post
Hey I know there are a lot of threads like this but I want to gather as much information as I can about Boise! I currently live in Houston Texas and the crime is getting ridiculous and I have a 10 month old that I want to grow up without fear of break ins, robberies, or worse. What are some good areas to look at? I have just listed my home and will have around 40k to put down on a house. Im looking for a 3 bedroom with a good size back yard. I am a bank teller and my husband works on cars. Is it difficult to find jobs here? The only bad thing I've really heard about Boise have been the inversions. How long do they last and what months do they occur in? Also strange question but is the grass soft? Are you able to run around in bare feet? Here in Houston the grass is hard and brittle and you can't walk on it without feet of cuts or bugs and snakes. I want my daughter to be able to run in the grass and play. Are there any bad things I should know about? Bad areas? Is there always outdoor activities in all seasons? Any help would be appreciated!! I am planning on visiting with my mother for 3 days in a few months to get a feel for it.
There is no such area that exists free from crime. A naked man just attacked a woman in Meridian at a gas station at like 6am in the morning. Things happen here as well.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:36 PM

742 posts, read 1,128,502 times
Have a job lined up before hand, that's the biggest piece of advice you'll get from here. Everything else is just secondary to that, and don't underestimate how difficult it will be to do so, especially from somewhere else.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:00 PM

719 posts, read 1,566,422 times
I think a bank teller and auto mechanic could safely assume they can find jobs pretty quickly upon arrival. Unemployment is extremely low in Boise right now and many companies are struggling to find people.

The grass here isn't like the grass you have down south, either - if you feed and water properly it's lush and soft.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:45 PM

I know there is crime everywhere and I'm not expecting to find a place free of crime. Just not as expensive as in Houston. If you read the crime rates there you will be appalled! And I am wondering if I move down, then a pay for an apartment for 6 months, and search for a job do you think that will be enough Time?

Old 08-15-2015, 01:18 PM

335 posts, read 376,390 times
From past experience you wont be able to really tell if you like it or not for at least a year. It takes time to acclimate to a new area. I have never lived in Houston but would not want to anyway. The humidity would be the deal breaker. Come over and try. I think you will like it.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:34 PM

I really want to but am asking. If being there and giving my husband and myself 6 months to find a job (again while living there) would be enough Time to find jobs? I am afraid of not being able to find any in that time period

Old 08-15-2015, 10:01 PM

742 posts, read 1,128,502 times
Being here will probably help find a job, but it's a catch-22 thing - what happens if you don't?

I do agree that a bank teller could probably find a job pretty quick. Dunno about an auto mechanic - are there state certifications or licensing you have to obtain?

It's a big risk. Could be a big reward. Hard for any of us to advise you on that.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:26 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,937,529 times
What do you think about finding employment if the person is willing to take anything in the beginning until something better comes up? Is that also difficult? Or going through places like Labor Ready?

Old 08-21-2015, 11:48 PM

No other insight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area