U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 12:30 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,528,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missb1972 View Post
You guys are awesome with all of your suggestions. They are all so helpful. I will be printing these out so I can remember everything. I doubt we will fit all of this in, but it will be a good start!
We are moving to the Boise area in Dec. or Jan. from Pahrump!! Can't wait to get out of NV!!
You'll love it out there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 01:48 PM

2,680 posts, read 2,085,936 times
I hope you both let us know how it goes. It's always interesting to hear other people's adventures.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:52 PM

10 posts, read 9,135 times
"I hope you both let us know how it goes. It's always interesting to hear other people's adventures."

I will definitely post after we get home. I am sure I won't want to come back home after I visit. lol You are all giving me such wonderful options. I can't wait to meet the people there if they are all as nice as you have been. I am used to people flipping you off before they would ever say hello or wave to you... Sad but true. If you all don't mind as well, can you tell me what age you are or at least the age range you are? I would love to make some friends before we get there also. I am 42 and my daughter as I said is 22. Thanks everyone!

Old 08-31-2015, 06:29 PM

695 posts, read 687,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missb1972 View Post
"I hope you both let us know how it goes. It's always interesting to hear other people's adventures."

I will definitely post after we get home. I am sure I won't want to come back home after I visit. lol You are all giving me such wonderful options. I can't wait to meet the people there if they are all as nice as you have been. I am used to people flipping you off before they would ever say hello or wave to you... Sad but true. If you all don't mind as well, can you tell me what age you are or at least the age range you are? I would love to make some friends before we get there also. I am 42 and my daughter as I said is 22. Thanks everyone!
A friend of mine who moved here about 3 years ago related the following:

She was at a stoplight, and was not paying attention when the light changed. The guy in the car behind her, rather than honk, got out of his car, walked up and tapped on her window. When she opened the window, he asked if she was okay. No honking. No flipping off. No angry words. Just concern and kindness.

Nice huh?

My daughter and I have had several such experiences, one on our very first visit. When looking for a parking space at the local, crowded Fred Meyer, I approached a spot at the same time as a young (30's?) man in a pick up with a dog in the bed. He saw me, I saw him...he waved to me and "gave" me the spot.

Coming from Southern California, we were soooooo not used to that!

Old 08-31-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
I hope you both let us know how it goes. It's always interesting to hear other people's adventures.
I definitely will keep you posted!

Old 09-01-2015, 01:47 PM

10 posts, read 9,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBound2012 View Post

She was at a stoplight, and was not paying attention when the light changed. The guy in the car behind her, rather than honk, got out of his car, walked up and tapped on her window. When she opened the window, he asked if she was okay. No honking. No flipping off. No angry words. Just concern and kindness.

Nice huh?

My daughter and I have had several such experiences, one on our very first visit. When looking for a parking space at the local, crowded Fred Meyer, I approached a spot at the same time as a young (30's?) man in a pick up with a dog in the bed. He saw me, I saw him...he waved to me and "gave" me the spot.

Wow! That is incredible! That is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you so much for telling me.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:

Nice huh?

That is why I love it such much there!

Old 09-01-2015, 04:36 PM

742 posts, read 831,819 times
Quote:

Nice huh?

This is not typical of the Boise area. Rather, it sounds like a one in a million occurrence. Truth be told, most Idahoans are probably drawing their guns if someone is coming up to their window at a stoplight.

Back here in reality, most Boise drivers will probably just wait a few seconds before honking, but an increasing amount will honk their horns very quickly. I hear it every day in my office overlooking Idaho St. I hear it when I bike around town, or drive home. Heck, I honk my horn if some dingle is sitting at a green light because s/he is playing on their phone.

Why?

Because more and more people are texting or chatting on their cell phones. It's not a Boise thing... it's a modern day life thing. People here aren't any different than people anywhere else. They text and chat and their phones; they're absent minded. And people here don't like waiting on other people because of that absentmindedness, just like people everywhere else. That's what your horn is for.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:16 PM

8,043 posts, read 23,597,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
This is not typical of the Boise area. Rather, it sounds like a one in a million occurrence. Truth be told, most Idahoans are probably drawing their guns if someone is coming up to their window at a stoplight.

Back here in reality, most Boise drivers will probably just wait a few seconds before honking, but an increasing amount will honk their horns very quickly. I hear it every day in my office overlooking Idaho St. I hear it when I bike around town, or drive home. Heck, I honk my horn if some dingle is sitting at a green light because s/he is playing on their phone.

Why?

Because more and more people are texting or chatting on their cell phones. It's not a Boise thing... it's a modern day life thing. People here aren't any different than people anywhere else. They text and chat and their phones; they're absent minded. And people here don't like waiting on other people because of that absentmindedness, just like people everywhere else. That's what your horn is for.
Agreed. I would freak out if some guy walked up and tapped on my window. No way would I roll it down to talk to them.

And most people just give a little horn tap. Not a long honk, just a little "hey, you awake up there?". In the 17 years I've owned my car, I'm sure I've honked the horn fewer than 10 times.

But the philosophy is right. Most people are polite here. People make eye contact, and moreover even smile and say good morning to strangers on the street.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:37 PM

879 posts, read 2,484,704 times
I don't know...I think Boise drivers can be relatively aggressive. They're particularly bad, IMO, for tailgating in the slow lane. My step-dad is terrible for this. I'm like - just go around.

And strangely, from my observations rude drivers don't always equate to rude people. When I was driving in New Zealand people were very aggressive on the roads (insane tailgaters) but very friendly in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or