Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2015, 04:01 PM

36 posts, read 50,120 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Our family might be relocating from Arizona to Boise in the near future and we are looking for advice on the Boise area.

There will be myself and my wife, and our three daughters ages 10, 6, 3. I currently work in Insurance will make roughly $40 - $50k. My wife is a stay at home mom, but may look for part time work once we get to Boise.

Our budget for housing needs to be around $900 - $1200 with a minimum three bedrooms, we are considering both rental home and apartment.

Here is what we are looking for help with:

1. Good Areas for families in Boise for home / apartment rental
2. Good Schools and zip codes

Any other advice would be appreciated and welcomed.

Thank you in advance for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 03:11 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,267,284 times
I want to say anywhere and all of them.

Where you live may depend on where you work and what you're willing to commute. If you're in insurance I'm guessing you'd live in West Boise on The Bench, or somewhere along Overland and Cole road, or by the mall. If you're willing to commute then you'll want to live in Meridian or further out to get more home for your money.

You could even buy a house out that way and pay less than it costs to rent. I have friends and family living in Nampa and Caldwell in quality new homes in nice new neighborhoods. For example one of them has a five bedroom house, with granite counter tops, wood cabinets, real wood floors, three car garage, stainless steel appliances, front and back yard with a sprinkler system. It's an energy efficient green home so their electric bill isn't more than $250 a month in the summers. There are new schools in the area. They also have access to a community swimming pool and they pay $695 a month for their mortgage.

You could also end up working in Eagle and living there which is a really nice area. Try trulia or zillow for your house hunting budget.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:03 AM

815 posts, read 1,059,054 times
Default Welcome to Boise (in advance)

You should have no problem finding a great home in the $900 - $1200 a month price range to rent as long as you don't have pets or smoke. Property managers typically have more applicants than they do vacancies so they are pretty restrictive. Where is "best" is subjective and therefore that answer should be based on your lifestyle (do you like walking along the rivers, in the parks, mountain biking, or ?).

Our commutes are pretty reasonable (typically from near the mall in west Boise, I can be anywhere in the county in less than half hour). Due to the winter, it seams like we compress the annual road maintenance budget into about six months so you will learn how to avoid the slow down areas.

With high demand for rental properties, the rates have increase so if you are looking for a longer term solution, definitely check out buying. Typically the average home priced about $200,000 will result in monthly payments on a mortgage less than what that same home would rent for thanks to low interest rates, first time home buyer programs and even programs for low to moderate income families. Some communities in the outlaying area even have special 100% financing and we can negotiate closing costs so that you can move into your own home for less than you would as a "renter".

Hope this helps!
Jim

Old 08-28-2015, 09:16 AM

Thank you for that information as it is good to hear housing will be within our range...As far as things to do we have 3 young girls ages 10, 5, & 3 is there a lot to do sports wise and other types of activities?

Also what zip codes would be preferable for good elementary & middle schools?

Old 08-28-2015, 09:36 AM

There are plenty of activities for your girls here and lots of great youth programs offered including little league, basketball, ice hockey, lacrosse, soccer, cheer, gymnastics, various martial arts studios, volleyball, hunting, fishing, mountain biking, golf, tennis, skiing (snow & water, downhill and cross country), track, etc. Having the full four seasons allows most every type of outside activity. For example, in the winter, I can go home, collect my kids at 6:30 or 7 pm and go skiing at Bogus Basin only 45 minutes from my house and ski till 10 pm. In the summer it stays light outside till nearly 10 pm so you can go golfing after working a traditional job and still get in 18 holes.

I opt not to answer questions on which schools are best since that is subjective. Some base the answer on academics, others on sports, others on special needs programs, others on .... Therefore, I suggest checking out the school sites directly for Boise and the West Ada School Districts (covers areas like Meridian, Eagle outside of Boise but in Ada County still). We have lots of Charter Schools and Magnet schools to look into as well if you like that. Rest assured we have program for about every need though including for those with developmental issues and the gifted & talented kids and everything in between. I am not a big fan of some of the school rating sites since most people only go there if they want to vent complaints and people that love the same school seldom take time to write positive reviews since the schools met their expectations.

Jim

Old 08-28-2015, 09:42 AM

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the insight and that sounds awesome...That is the problem I am having with the school review sites is one compliant about a front office or a rule someone doesnt like and it ruins the rating completly.

Hoping to have housing finalized soon, but it may be a struggle to find a rental to apply for being that we cant move in until the first week of November.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:07 AM

You are correct on trying to get rentals in advance. Most property managers are reactionary and wait for a vacancy to try to fill it instead of planning for them in advance. Most of them want long term rental contracts too which makes it difficult for people moving here and want to just learn the area before committing to buying a home.

I have one house that I use mostly for short term clients in between houses. One of the groups I belong to shares data between different real estate companies on their agents/clients needs and wants so that might be option for you as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area