U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 09:55 AM

8,043 posts, read 23,602,260 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of any new allergens in the last few years that have moved to the area?

My mom and I have both never had any allergies until about 5 years ago. Since then, we both get them on the same days (as each other, not the same calendar days) every year. We are clearly both allergic to the same thing, and whatever it is was not in the Boise area in any quantity before around 5 years ago.

I'm assuming it is in the ragweed/sagebrush/chenopod family, as that is what is ranking high right now and we are both suffering yesterday and today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 09:58 AM

122 posts, read 165,363 times
Do you live in the same home? Is it possible something very local changed? New pet, plants, i.e. something in the home perhaps?

Old 09-07-2015, 10:19 AM

We do not live together. We do work together, but nothing at the office has changed. She lives in Meridian, I live in West Boise, and the office is in West Boise. No new pets, I've lived in my house for 12 years, she's lived in hers for about 7 now.

But I don't think it is that local anyway, because 99% of the time, we are fine. But 2 or 3 days a year, we are allergy central, both of us. If it was a cat or a plant or something at the office, I would think it would be much more frequent. This only happens on days when the allergens I mention are at "high" levels, so I assume it is something in that grouping.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:39 AM

695 posts, read 687,615 times
There is an excellent book and a lot of articles about how cities have made mistakes in planting parkways, parks, etc. and causing a lot of allergy problems for residents. Google "Thomas Ogren", he even feels that this is a large part of the increase in asthma in kids in the last 20 years.

Boise, being the City of Trees, probably falls into this group. :-) Any new planting in your office locale, within the last 5 years?

Old 09-08-2015, 08:37 AM

Yeah, a few, actually. Could be that, for sure. Nothing immediately next to me, but some minor things in the general vicinity.

It is much less severe today, so it isn't really a big deal in my life. Was more curious than anything.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:10 AM

335 posts, read 279,710 times
They do not have to be new, they could have been there all along. As we age we become allergic to things that were always there. For some reason the body just can not tolerate something it always has and walla, an allergy.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdoo View Post
They do not have to be new, they could have been there all along. As we age we become allergic to things that were always there. For some reason the body just can not tolerate something it always has and walla, an allergy.
Yeah, I just thought that would be strange for my mother and I to suddenly become sensitive at the same time.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:14 PM

704 posts, read 631,906 times
Might be something in the office (new employee with new perfume/cologne, plants, filters haven't been changed, mold, etc.) My allergies started up last week and this time of year it is typically the sagebrush pollen and grasses that gets me.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:41 PM

4,555 posts, read 7,024,744 times
It's very common for people to develop local allergies after moving to a new city after a few years. It can take a few years for your body to develop the allergy.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
It's very common for people to develop local allergies after moving to a new city after a few years. It can take a few years for your body to develop the allergy.
Mom and dad moved to Boise 37 years ago, when I was 1 month old, so don't think that is it either.

I think BoiseBound has the answer, probably some new "decorative" planting near our office, of a type that isn't native to the area. My eyes are burning again today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area