Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 09:06 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,920,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningfromCalifornia View Post
Well of course you did. First off, there's just far more people in urban SoCal than in (mostly) rural Northern Idaho. Second, you were policing in urban SoCal, so necessarily you're out and about daily dealing with the scum of the planet. I don't remember reading that you policed in Northern Idaho, but you have a stay at home business, so of course you don't run into more racism. Third, you're a white male in an absurdly predominantly white region of the country, so it stands to reason you're not experiencing or observing racism there.
Exactly.

I found that many people I encountered up north were perfectly friendly on the surface, but when you got to know them a little bit, and as they got comfortable with you over time, they let their guard down, and I began to see the racist attitudes seething below the surface. Racial slurs, subtle digs, and such. Not everyone, obviously, but enough to get a taste.

Quote:
The experience of racism, or sexism, or bigotry is fairly unique to one's situation. Where you, Sage, a white male in a 95+% white region, might not observe or experience racism, perhaps someone who is of a different race experiences it much differently. Moreover, they're likely to not say anything about it, simply because they are such a minority they don't want to be the nail that sticks up and gets hammered down.
Yes, absolutely.

Quote:
That is why the current discussion about indirect, rather than direct, racism is so fascinating and important.

To trace it to my experiences, as a woman, I have felt sexism in most places I have lived and worked... but especially so when I'm in Boise and Idaho in general. And the thing of it is, most people probably don't even realize it. In fact, they probably think they're being nice, chivalrous, or courteous, when it fact they come off to me as condescending, belittling, disrespectful, and ignorant. Kind of a "barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen" sort of vibe. To be sure, it's kind of a clash of cultures between modern understanding of sex and gender, and traditional views on these roles typically found in Idaho (and similar states).
Excellent points.

Quote:
To make it relevant to the topic, this has been somewhat of a biting negative experience I have when I visit Idaho. As I mentioned before, I have close friends and family here so my visits tend to be long and frequent, so I don't think I'm unqualified to offer my opinion.

At the same time, Boise is such a great place in so many other respects that these... somewhat backwoods views on race and sex and culture... can probably be overlooked, imo.
Thanks for providing a woman's perspective. I found it interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 09:41 AM

335 posts, read 376,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
I ran into dramatically more racism during my career policing urban SoCal that I ever heard expressed in northern Idaho. The worst racism I ever encountered was when I worked areas (like north Long Beach county area) which were 1/3 black, 1/3 hispanic, and 1/3 Korean. It was pervasive, ugly, and blatant.

Northern Idaho, by example, is quite blissful by comparison. The lack of racial diversity does not appear to have lowered racial tolerance here. And IMO the claim of xenophobia are highly overstated.

Quite frankly, if we went off what most people write about northern Idaho, you'd think there were clansmen hiding behind every tree. Writers love to keep a good story alive...truth not withstanding.

So...let's bring this topic back to people's OWN experiences with Idaho...not what someone has read or what someone chooses to speculate.
Sage has a good point.Your own experience from Idaho is what matters. Just remember experiences are dictated by someones perception. Sometimes their perceptions are heavily skewed and they are offended by anything. Thats why you have to go live somewhere for at least a year and experience it for yourself. After all its your perception that matters not someone else. Speaking from a white persons perspective most white people I know will not tolerate a racist. After all racism is just hate. These individuals whether black or white are just hate filled individuals and it is not good to be around them anyway. Idaho is beautiful, truly a work of Gods hand.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:22 AM

731 posts, read 958,557 times
" Third, you're a white male in an absurdly predominantly white region of the country, so it stands to reason you're not experiencing or observing racism there."

I am guessing, and correct me if I'm wrong on this Sage, that he is referring to the racism one sees in SoCal between races that are *not* Caucasian. Not that there is a shortage of racism that involved and includes Caucasians, but in certain areas of SoCal, where you have large populations of Hispanics, Blacks, Asians, you find a heavy layer of racism *between those races*. Long Beach in particular, you'll find Latinos hating Blacks and vice versa to a (sadly) large degree.

"In fact, they probably think they're being nice, chivalrous, or courteous, when it fact they come off to me as condescending, belittling, disrespectful, and ignorant. Kind of a "barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen" sort of vibe. To be sure, it's kind of a clash of cultures between modern understanding of sex and gender, and traditional views on these roles typically found in Idaho (and similar states)."

As a woman, I have to say, I cannot relate. Sorry. Not sure what particular experiences you have had here (or elsewhere), so it's hard to know how to comment. I like chivalry, courtesy, niceties...opening doors, ladies first kind of thing. Now, not having a career here, may mean I'm not seeing it in a business environment, but via my visits, and living here since Feb., I've not been exposed to anything I consider belittling, disrespectful, etc., from men, or women. Hope I don't!

Old 10-03-2015, 11:33 AM

731 posts, read 958,557 times
"Just remember experiences are dictated by someones perception. Sometimes their perceptions are heavily skewed and they are offended by anything."

Exactly!

For several years I worked in Human Resources. In investigating various personnel complaints, it became apparent that some "filters" are heavily skewed one way, others a different way, but everyone has their particular "itch". Often that "itch" is so sensitive that that which isn't really a problem for most, becomes almost insurmountable for the individual. Even when facts and explanations lead to the conclusion that no harm, insult or indiscretion was intended.

Not trying to invalidate others claims, but it's almost always wrong to generalize a group without knowing their intent, beliefs, thoughts.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:04 AM

145 posts, read 156,131 times
Everyone has their own dislikes. Today we live in a whiny, oh careful not to offend anyone America. Some people need to put on their big boy pants and get a think skin or go live in LA with all the "others" I believe 20 years ago N. I. area was a nice cheap place to live. People found out and the real estate prices jumped. I remember reading the book about Ruby Ridge and thought there is no place in America left to let your family live in peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area