Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 09:43 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times

Advertisements

We just spent a week in Boise 5 to 6 weeks ago, and no - we do not think Boise has the worst drivers. We could see some increasing problems soon, judging by all the construction giving way to growth.

But as it is now, the only thing we complained about were the LONGEST timed traffic lights ever. Maybe it helps with the flow, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 09:47 AM

731 posts, read 958,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
We just spent a week in Boise 5 to 6 weeks ago, and no - we do not think Boise has the worst drivers. We could see some increasing problems soon, judging by all the construction giving way to growth.

But as it is now, the only thing we complained about were the LONGEST timed traffic lights ever. Maybe it helps with the flow, I don't know.
Ditto! And not sure if it helps with flow, but have noticed that too many drivers turn left on red arrows, probably as a result of sitting in line for a long time. Dangerous practice!

Old 09-24-2015, 06:04 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,760 times
I think there is an element that doesn't get considered much. Politi-culture wise, Idaho may as well be a southern state. Lots of religion and conservatism from the very beginning in Idaho. But people have moves here from other areas and brought different politi-cultures here and there is a clash of new vs old ideology. Idaho does have a lot of flat out bigotry, religious based discrimination and of pandering to the wealthy. Now, I'm not saying that its the worst state for that, but it does exist and there is a lot of denial about that because it works out beautifully for some people. That being said, there are also a lot of forward thinking reasonable people as well. 10-15 years ago there was a lot of negative sentiment about the latter group of people, but that has eased up a lot over the years and Idaho has slowly been joining the 21st century.

But yes, Idaho doesn't do much to clean snow off the roads, winters are looong and grey but definitely not Wisconsin cold. Compared to many areas Idaho has a short spring and fall, and a long winter and summer. Most people will be happy in the Boise area, it probably is the all around most agreeable part of Idaho in all categories.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:55 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
I think there is an element that doesn't get considered much. Politi-culture wise, Idaho may as well be a southern state. Lots of religion and conservatism from the very beginning in Idaho. But people have moves here from other areas and brought different politi-cultures here and there is a clash of new vs old ideology. Idaho does have a lot of flat out bigotry, religious based discrimination and of pandering to the wealthy. Now, I'm not saying that its the worst state for that, but it does exist and there is a lot of denial about that because it works out beautifully for some people. That being said, there are also a lot of forward thinking reasonable people as well. 10-15 years ago there was a lot of negative sentiment about the latter group of people, but that has eased up a lot over the years and Idaho has slowly been joining the 21st century.

But yes, Idaho doesn't do much to clean snow off the roads, winters are looong and grey but definitely not Wisconsin cold. Compared to many areas Idaho has a short spring and fall, and a long winter and summer. Most people will be happy in the Boise area, it probably is the all around most agreeable part of Idaho in all categories.
Not sure what your exact point is here. Idaho is conservative, yes, but I never experienced bigotry or religious discrimination.

As for weather, Idaho, atleast in the north and Boise, are moderated by being closer to the Pacific. All bets are off in Pocatello and Idaho Falls, which have much more in common with the Rocky Mountain West.

Perhaps there is a side of Idaho you have not yet met.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Not sure what your exact point is here. Idaho is conservative, yes, but I never experienced bigotry or religious discrimination.

As for weather, Idaho, atleast in the north and Boise, are moderated by being closer to the Pacific. All bets are off in Pocatello and Idaho Falls, which have much more in common with the Rocky Mountain West.

Perhaps there is a side of Idaho you have not yet met.
I haven't noticed discrimination and bigotry lately, but I have experienced some myself and known a few people who have as well a few years ago. I had a lesbian friend who was fired as soon as her boss found out. I wrote a letter to the editor in the IPT and received death threats in the mail for basically saying that what gay people do is their own business. A friend of mine had been exposed as an atheist and got fired, a brick through his window and a few threats as well. I had a Hispanic friend who had been beaten and told to go back where he came from, which was Caldwell. These things all happened between 5 and 10 years ago, but it has left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. This element of haters does exist in the area, probably about the same percentage as most areas this size, but make no mistake it is out there.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:38 PM

731 posts, read 958,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
This makes sense to me, as Idaho is easily one of the top 5 most conservative states in the country.

Again, not surprising -- it has been empirically demonstrated that those who adhere to conservative ideologies are more likely to be racist.

I follow Derrick Wilburn, CHOA, Larry Elder, Connie Rice, Thomas Sowell and several other Conservative websites. All Conservative, none racist.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:53 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBound2012 View Post
I follow Derrick Wilburn, CHOA, Larry Elder, Connie Rice, Thomas Sowell and several other Conservative websites. All Conservative, none racist.
Exactly.

And the same with Idaho. Unfortunately, a few odd, crazy folks have brought this racist/bigoted idea to the rest of the country. Also, unfortunately, a few posts here and there will not dispel it anytime soon. I can just go on my experience living in Idaho the past decade+, in both Boise and other smaller areas. I will repeat, I have never experienced racial or religious bigoted ideas in my time there. I can only speak for myself, and yes, I am a white male who is non-LDS. I no longer live in Idaho, but its racial or religious climate is not the reason I left. For those who choose to keep this argument alive, so be it, but in my true belief, it is false.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:52 AM

335 posts, read 376,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post

You have to take the good with the bad. Utopian state does not exist. I have lived in 3 other states. All of them had issues and problems. Arizona a right to work state like Idaho didn't pay beans either. Its why we all left. Idaho has growth though. Where there is growth their is opportunity for hard workers.

I just moved from Bay area. The level of housing cost in bay area is crazy. Youll make more but you will only be working to make your house payment of 5k a month.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:26 AM

I wasn't exactly trying to Idaho bash, I know that everywhere has its problems. I was just trying to be straight up about Idaho problems. There are definitely worse states to be in that have more problems. I just don't like to sugar coat or pretend these problems don't exist because its worse somewhere else. Idaho is a decent enough place to live, it just belongs somewhere near Texarkana

Old 09-27-2015, 11:34 AM

145 posts, read 214,442 times
And Thank God for that! Because it would be a shame if all the states were the same, or if Idaho turned into New York, California, Massachusetts or some such. and it's location is perfect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area