Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2015, 12:15 PM

335 posts, read 376,390 times

Advertisements

From my 6 weeks of endless searching for a domicile. You have to understand I came here totally blind never visited nor even set foot in Idaho. An adventure to say the least and One I enjoyed. Here are some tips for anyone that is coming up looking for a home. First find an area you like first then focus on homes in that specific area, don't run all over looking for home here and their it a waste of time. Also be very leery of signing any contracts with realtors right off the bat. I had a realtor try to get me to sign a contract which is an exclusive right to represent and this contract basically gave her 3% of anything I bought or rented for 6 month in the entire Boise,Meridian and Eagle areas. She was very slick about it and approached it as a formality on last home we viewed with her on the very first day. So sign nothing without reading. I didnt sign and fired her so she got the big nothing sandwich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 12:21 PM

742 posts, read 1,128,502 times
I agree with you, Mick.

As a native who has bought a few homes here in my years, Boise is still very much a place you can get out the map, draw around the areas you want to be (for whatever your reasons are), and likely find something in those areas, or close to them.

All else being equal, there are just areas in and around Boise where I wouldn't even bother looking for a home, no matter how nice it is or what kind of a deal you get. Everyone has different priorities so those areas will be different for everyone, but as an example, if you moved here because you liked the charm of the North End, there's just no reason you should be looking in West Boise or SW Boise for a home, no matter what.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:29 PM

731 posts, read 957,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdoo View Post
From my 6 weeks of endless searching for a domicile. You have to understand I came here totally blind never visited nor even set foot in Idaho. An adventure to say the least and One I enjoyed. Here are some tips for anyone that is coming up looking for a home. First find an area you like first then focus on homes in that specific area, don't run all over looking for home here and their it a waste of time. Also be very leery of signing any contracts with realtors right off the bat. I had a realtor try to get me to sign a contract which is an exclusive right to represent and this contract basically gave her 3% of anything I bought or rented for 6 month in the entire Boise,Meridian and Eagle areas. She was very slick about it and approached it as a formality on last home we viewed with her on the very first day. So sign nothing without reading. I didnt sign and fired her so she got the big nothing sandwich.
The only problem with that, is if you don't at least look at other areas, in person, you really don't know what is available.

I researched areas in and around Boise to almost 5 years. Until I came here and actually looked at those areas, it was all academic.

My first visit opened my eyes enough to know that Boise wasn't necessarily what I wanted. I like Boise, but didn't want to live there. Wanted to be close enough to visit fairly easily (30 min. drive, but no further) but did not want the congestion. Love visiting downtown (and actually living just a tad closer would have been good too, but am happy where I am), but there are too many cars, people and busy-ness for me to want to buy a home there.

I think, that limiting a home search to one area, is a mistake. Get a good overview in person, THEN decide what to focus on. JMO

Old 09-12-2015, 01:06 PM

818 posts, read 1,066,796 times
As a Realtor in Boise for over 24 years, I agree with you about "be very leery of signing any contracts with realtors right off the bat". Realtors are independent contractors so each of them has a different style, level of knowledge, experience, communication skills, etc.

You wouldn't get married on your first date, so don't get contractually bound to your Realtor on your first date either.

However, when you have found the right partner in either/both situations, sign up and stay loyal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: